Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rzrbks

Injecting through clothes

Lizzy

I have not used alcohol in many years. I inject through my shirts and change my Apidra OptiClik needle only in the mornings. I do have to use a new needle for my Levemir as that crystalizes and plugs up the needle after one use. I have never had an infection or any kind of problem from doing that. I do change my lancet every morning. I guess I'm an oddball for doing that! :) If I should get a bleeder I find that peroxide usually works good to clean it off my shirt.

Liz from Michigan

rzrbks
poper77

Don't you guys worry about hitting a vein? When I was on injections if I hit a vein I would bleed......

I just tell everyone that I have proof that my wife abuses me. :rofl:

BriOnH

For new diabetics you might want to consider injecting through you clothing after 1 year of diabetes. The first 6 months are bad enough for some. Getting used to injections is not easy. For people like Kevin and I we never got the chance to notice, but for those that I know newly diagnosed they often are still very, very sensitive to injections and bruise and rarely will get infections. Once your body builds up to taking and defending against stabs solidly it might be then the best time to start if you are going to.

saphire

Hi.. about injecting through my clothes, I've never heard of that. Even in public. I always wear something i can raise to get to my upper abdoman and i use the alcohol swab too. then inject. I dunno if i could do it through my clothes!!! Yikes .. I've been injecting 4 to 5 years. WOW learn something new everyday....Saphire

shabbie6247

i've injected thru my clothes on a couple of occasions.....i refuse to throw out my favourite summer dresses just because i take insulin!

i'll either inject through the fabric, or pop it into my leg (which usually bruises like h**l)

i was never introduced to the joys of stinging alcohol wipes before shots so i never used them. do you have any scarring/thickened tissues from using them?

KickStart101
i've injected thru my clothes on a couple of occasions.....i refuse to throw out my favourite summer dresses just because i take insulin!

i'll either inject through the fabric, or pop it into my leg (which usually bruises like h**l)

i was never introduced to the joys of stinging alcohol wipes before shots so i never used them. do you have any scarring/thickened tissues from using them?

Sharon, are you on any meds. that cause bruising?

Do you watch to make sure you're not injecting

close to a vein? Sorry for asking but I don't understand

how some People who do MDI are bruising so much. I

know when I was on a certain med. for RA, I was

bruising alot and most areas were not injection sites.

That was a bad sign so I had to go off of that drug. Just

wondering. :)

KickStart101
OK, I see--------you're both saying that something is wrong with me, that I'm a Freak well Thbbptt (quoting Bill the Cat)

Actually, being TypeA/ Anal I Have to have it Exactly So Right Now------drives my wife and friends nuts.

Plus reading all the posts over the years, most people have no trouble when shooting through their clothes---so why am I the oddball exception?

Well, the Welsh have always been known as being under a cloud, as well as the Polish and the Belgians. I can claim connection to all three, plus about 44-45 others.

What does that mean:"...being under a cloud"?

:eek: Holy Cow Rz! I think you've insulted me and I

totally missed it last year. I must have been in

another dimension. Lucky, for you I caught it now

though. Therefore, I want an apology, Right Here, Right Now!!! :secruity::D;)

ubergeek

Inject through my clothes quite often....thought I was done when I went on the pump...but now I inject Symlin through. Haven't used alcohol wipes since the beginning. Also have reused syringes, lancets and pen needles with no ill effects.

sofaraway

inject through clothes occasionally, but i almost always wear jeans and i feel they are too thick for me to inject through. i don't inject through light coloured clothing incase of a bleeder, i don't get them often but would be my luck to get one at that time.

i inject though trousers probbaly 1-2 times a week, without any problems

shabbie6247
Sharon, are you on any meds. that cause bruising?

Do you watch to make sure you're not injecting

close to a vein? Sorry for asking but I don't understand

how some People who do MDI are bruising so much. I

know when I was on a certain med. for RA, I was

bruising alot and most areas were not injection sites.

That was a bad sign so I had to go off of that drug. Just

wondering. :)

i dont take any other meds at all. i rarely get any marks on my belly at all now but on the odd occasion i use my leg...bruise. there isnt much meat on my legs so that may be why...lots more flesh on the belly area though ;-) you could be right, veins could be the problem in the legs

Dervish

I'm a little surprised, given the "you can do that? is it safe?" questions, that nobody has mentioned yet that a study was done in 1997 on injecting insulin through clothing and found it to have no significant drawbacks aside from the occasional blood stain (which is why I don't do it). The full text of the study results doesn't appear to be freely available online, but INJECTING INSULIN THROUGH CLOTHING summarizes the major details and provides enough information to attempt to locate the full text if you want to go looking for it.

andypoo

I realized a long time ago that we are the studys, as well as the patients,the ones doing the studying and coming up with all the answers ,I've shot a couple of times through clothing(pant legs) in the thigh,and I don't use alcohol swabs anymore ,they are terrible on your skin.,and I've got the lumps in my thighs,because I also have skinny legs. I've got the shape that the medical field says is typical of a lot of diabetics,you know the fat around the midsection,the one that causes heart disease,diabetes all kinds of problems. But,I didn't get that way until I had the big "D" for years. I

hate shooting in my leg,though ,that hurts.

KickStart101
i dont take any other meds at all. i rarely get any marks on my belly at all now but on the odd occasion i use my leg...bruise. there isnt much meat on my legs so that may be why...lots more flesh on the belly area though ;-) you could be right, veins could be the problem in the legs

Yes, that could be the problem. More meat with

a microfine layer of fat that make the veins less

likely to be hit would be Good. So now we have

to find a company that has discovered a natural

product to allow People to gain weight in the

appropriate areas. I know some Folks who would

love that.

Or a true product to slow down a Persons metabolism

so they could gain some weight. They're probably

out there. ;)

I can usually find a spot where there is no vein

or nerve, if I'm not in a rush.

jerryn

if I injected through my clothes I'd end up with blood on my shirt.

I usually inject 3" to the left or right of my belly buton.

Glucoweb

Before I was on my pump, I hardly ever injected through my clothes. I only did that on rare occasions. I think I was just paranoid about the needle bending or causing an infection. When I think back on it though, the few times I did it I never had a problem except for when the driver of the car I was in hit a bump while I was injecting and cause me to poke my stomach 3 times real quick. OUCH wasn't ready for that.

UpNorth

I inject through my clothes every now and then when wearing clothes thin enough to inject through and it's difficult or inconvenient to lift clothes even a little bit. Never had a problem with injections through clothes :)

Mich

And YAY for Tide Sticks. They fit in your purse or glove compartment and remove blood spots from anything. Oxygen bleach I think.

dhjones1950

:ciao: Hello,

I've been using Lantus/Humalog for 2 months now. I shoot through my shirt/ pants(jeans) all the time. No problems. My wife is type 1 and is scared by my daring doOh. Oh well!

rzrbks
KickStart101

What does that mean:"...being under a cloud"?

Holy Cow Rz! I think you've insulted me and I

totally missed it last year. I must have been in

another dimension. Lucky, for you I caught it now

though. Therefore, I want an apology, Right Here, Right Now!!!

An apology for "Whut?" As I pointed out, I'm all three of those and about 44-45 others. Madam, by all the laws of "Decent Society," I am allowed to insult myself.:rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.