Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jin

140mile cycle

Jin

Hi,

A non diabetic friend and i cycled 140 miles (cambridge to canterbury) to see some friends. It was very impromptu, just thought id share it on here. We cycled about 8 or so hours a day for 2 and a half days, and it was funny the whole day i didnt have to take any insulin (type 1). The cycling kept my sugar levels below 10mmol the whole day and i had to stop every 2 hours or so to buy some chocolate or lucozade as there wasnt much available in terms of long acting carbs, but it was a great trip and it was really nice to not need any insulin during the day and taking minimal at night. I am on lantus and novorapid.

check out the pictures and write up http://www.jinetics.blogspot.com

cheers!

Gordonm

That is great from another type 1 myself. Are you on a pump or shots. I ride quite often myself. Anywhere from 20 to 50 miles. I am on shots now but looking into a pump.

Jin

Yeah at the moment i am on shots. I dont really like the idea of having a small pump on you at all times, i like to have as little on me as possible, but ironically that means i have to carry the insulin hehe. I dunno, i am not completely knowledgable on pumps, i always hear that they are great, but i dont know what they have so much over pens except convenience?

My BM's have been a bit all over the place the past week, but i am off to uni this saturday so i hope a bit of routine will help sort me out (except fresher week...)

valc3

Jin, nice trip. I bought a bike early this summer and have really gotten into riding. I haven't done a trip as long as 140 miles, but it looks like fun. I don't need insulin when I bike either.

Roy Gardiner

I am a recently diagnosed type-2, and I ride a bike a lot.

When I'm doing a steady 150miles/week, sugars are pretty much under control; mileage goes down, sugars go unacceptable.

I recommend cycling as part of a control programme, it's fun too.

Gordonm
Yeah at the moment i am on shots. I dont really like the idea of having a small pump on you at all times, i like to have as little on me as possible, but ironically that means i have to carry the insulin hehe. I dunno, i am not completely knowledgable on pumps, i always hear that they are great, but i dont know what they have so much over pens except convenience?

My BM's have been a bit all over the place the past week, but i am off to uni this saturday so i hope a bit of routine will help sort me out (except fresher week...)

I thought this same way for quite a while. I am not on a pump yet but I am in the process of getting one now. The freedom and adjustability is wha tsold me on the pumps. I have been doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of people on pumps. Most have said the ywish they did it years ago. I can't wait. The pump technology has changed a lot in the past few years. I to am concerned about having something on me all the time but Iguess I just have to get over it. I carry a cell phone most of the time so it will be somewhat similar.

rzrbks

Ooh, yuck, HaCk, pHtphhb

a guy with his shirt off!! Groty--->>washes eyes with soap.<<

Cool about the ride though. That's a trip I'd like to take before I leave "this Vale of Tears."

I'd want to do it by car though.

BriOnH

I'd want to do it by car though.

lol

That looks like a fun trip! I can't believe you guys did it on mt bikes. I've done a few half century events (50 miles) but am fortunate to own a road bike for those. I love mt biking, just went to Mammoth mt recently, but taking my mt bike on the paved roads is SOOooo much more work! Specially 140 miles worth! Good job!

Did you not take any lantus as well?

caryj

On each of the four Century rides I have done I have always been eating like mad, and not taking ANY insulin. I wish I could be like that all day, every day! It's such a great feeling to have every BG from sunrise to sunset (checked every 45 min) to be from 100-112.

I dragged a buddy of mine 80 miles from Boston, MA to Providence, RI to get to a regatta instead of driving with our team this May on his mt. bike (and me on my road bike). It was a fun ride--but he was certaintly in a lot of pain once it was over.

Jin

i did take lantus and a shot of novo at night before eating in the evening. just quite a reduce injection from about 25 units to 15 or so for lantus and 3 or so novo rapid.

BriOnH

I dragged a buddy of mine 80 miles from Boston, MA to Providence, RI to get to a regatta instead of driving with our team this May on his mt. bike (and me on my road bike). It was a fun ride--but he was certaintly in a lot of pain once it was over.

oh man! Were you drafting him the whole way? I don't see drafting working well with a road and a mt bike.

Trail runner, you run that far!? da**!! I do 5 miles and I am beat. I have a friend (also type 1) that has been doing 20 mile trail runs recently, and has wanted me to go, but I need to seriously train to get to that point.

Jin, thanks for the post. You remind me of my youth lol. I gotta get back to it! I tried walking on my hands last night, and I cant go anywhere close to where I used to! lol. I was going to attempt a back flip, but its been like 9 years.

caryj
oh man! Were you drafting him the whole way? I don't see drafting working well with a road and a mt bike.

Yup. He just sat behind me starring into my blinking red light for quite a few hours.

pumpracer

For the past 5 years I have gone out to Death Valley and rode 100 miles in one day. The ride to cure diabetes that raises money for JDRF, it is a fun and scenic ride. I am a type 1 and Im on an Insulin Pump. I did do the ride in 5 hrs and 40 min one year, but I was feelin tha pain the next day or two. Unfortunatly I will not be going out there this year, but I am planning on it next year.:bike:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.