Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funnygrl

overheard in a chatroom

Funnygrl

A chatroom I visited, with people noteabley less knowledgable than here, had a person making an interesting claim. She states she heard of someone who had to be on THREE pumps in the hospital because his diabetes was so bad, he needed "more insulin in more places." To which I say, :confused:. Only one other person questioned it, but this made no sense whatsoever to me. I have heard of a pump for symlin and one for insulin, but this sounds like a tall tale.

JediSkipdogg

SYmlin is a drug like Amylin (which is not produced in diabetics.) Symlin eliminates the peaks in eating food. Say you are running 100 mg/dl and eat some food and give insulin. Your one hour mark after eating may be around 150 or could be higher. Symlin is suppose to eliminate the peak so your one hour reading is around 120 or even at your pre-meal target and you won't have a peak.

As for beign on multiple pumps, I could believe it. Didn't we have a member on here that was on like 150 units a day of insulin and it kept going up? SOmeone like that may need multiple pumps so they don't have to change every day. Also, it's been proven the more insulin in one spot, the less effective it is. Sometimes I find when I give a 8+ unit bolus I almost always have to give 1-2 extra units, and it only happens on large boluses.

poodlebone

When I was first diagnosed I was on 3 IV drips in the hospital, but not pumps. I have no clue what was in the IVs, but insulin was obviously one of them. I seriously doubt there was insulin in either of the other 2 bags. Saline, and maybe glucose?

Also, I doubt that a hospital would put someone on a pump unless she was already pumping.

Funnygrl

Jedi- You could use Humulin R U-500. And if you have to change your reservoir everyday, or you have to change three resevoirs every 3 days, it's the same.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.