Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Pump Comparisons.....All about pumps/companies

trifona
Thanks Trifona! I imagined the dtron was much bigger than that, but it looks similar compared to the paradigm.

Exactly why I always had to sigh when people would say that its was too big. Just a tad longer really. The only really noticeable thing about the D-Tron is its weight, considerably denser than either the HTron or the Minimed. Probably due to its first generation retractable metal piston rod. On the Paradigm the rod is plastic, which I'm sure saves weight and $$.

The D-TronPlus was a great, easy to use pump.

Worldcrzr

I too have Blue Cross of California and use the Cosmo monitor. Blue Cross only pays for Accu Chek strips normally but when my doctor wrote the prescription for the Free Style, the pharmacist simply coded the insurance that the Free Style was medically necessary for the insulin pump. Blue Cross pays 100% for 300 strips monthly for no co-pay. The medical necessity code is the key to having most insurance companies pay for the Free Style.

rudi

The pictures of other pumps is so helpful to me. Thanks. I have some really basic questions as I am new to pumps. So far I love my pump; my life is better than it was before. Now, about all the extra tubing. I get frustrated with the "bathroom" issues. so girls, how do you deal with it all? Is it always a tucking technique? Do you disconnect? I have bought a hard side clip, a soft case that goes over a belt and that stupid velcro case that straps around you at night. They all suck in some way or another. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there for misc equipment, or am I missing a website somewhere? My job is also very physical, with lots of lifting, squatting, kneeling (Grocery manager in a food co-op) and I do get worried about the abuse this machine takes. Any pointres from anyone would be well received. Another question. What about any other quick sets for the Minimeds. Obviously, some stuff is not interchangable. I have gotten frustrated when I have screwed up an insertion, or just want to change a resevior. What am I missing here?

Funnygrl

I use the long tubing and when I go to the bathroom just leave it clipped to my pants and have enough tubing. I tuck the extra tubing in my pants or pocket. At night I just let the pump "float" in bed freely. No, if you have a Minimed the sets aren't interchangable. The other pumps can use all the sets though. You might want to try the silhouettes.

typeone

You said:

"Cozmo/Smiths Medical is also planning to release (in the very near future - by year's end) upgraded pumps that will have software integrated for use with the Abbott Navigator CGMS system (which will also be released soon)."

Where did you hear this? I can't find any information which links Cozmo to the Abbott Navigator, but I sure hope it's true, since I use a Cozmo.

:deal: typeone

Dewey
You said:

"Cozmo/Smiths Medical is also planning to release (in the very near future - by year's end) upgraded pumps that will have software integrated for use with the Abbott Navigator CGMS system (which will also be released soon)."

Where did you hear this? I can't find any information which links Cozmo to the Abbott Navigator, but I sure hope it's true, since I use a Cozmo.

:deal: typeone

I spoke to both Abbott & Smiths Medical reps at a Diabetes Symposium, and each said the same thing. They intend on linking one to the other (at least that is their intentions) with the implementation of the new software. Of course, the year's end ('06) has come & gone, but hopefully soon...Still impatiently waiting...

Mama Belle

I have read through this thread and have a question that I don't think was really addressed. I know that with the Minimed pathway program you can upgrade your pump during the warranty if a new pump comes out (for a fee). Does Cozmo have the same type of thing? Their literature says the upgrades are free, but refer to software and not the pump itself. My daughter is soon to start on the pump (hopefully April) and we are leaning towards the Cozmo, but if we get a pump now and a new one comes out next year do they have a program similar to the pathway program, or does their claim of "free upgrades" refer to the pump as well as the software? I am confused.

Funnygrl
I have read through this thread and have a question that I don't think was really addressed. I know that with the Minimed pathway program you can upgrade your pump during the warranty if a new pump comes out (for a fee). Does Cozmo have the same type of thing? Their literature says the upgrades are free, but refer to software and not the pump itself. My daughter is soon to start on the pump (hopefully April) and we are leaning towards the Cozmo, but if we get a pump now and a new one comes out next year do they have a program similar to the pathway program, or does their claim of "free upgrades" refer to the pump as well as the software? I am confused.

They mean the on pump softwaren(not just computer software). So if a physically different looking pump comes out (like the shape changes, and it has new hardware) that is not likely to be free. However, the Cozmo 1800 was recently released. This is a new pump, with new software. It has a food database, and several new features. I have a Cozmo 1700. I, along with all Cozmo users, are getting the 1800 for free. It's the same thing as the Paradigm Pathway, only FREE!

Funnygrl
Thanks!!! That helps me a lot! We can't wait to get her pumping and are pretty excited about the Cozmo.

Awesome! You'll love it, I bet!

BTW, your daughter is too darn cute.

iron999mike

By the way, if you order a cozmo now you should get the new pump (1800). So upgrades probably won't be a problem for a while unless they have a problem. I ordered mine on Dec 16th and got it a week later.

The only negative thing about Cozmo's upgrade program is that if you return your pump for an upgrade, they will send you a used (different one) back. They are supposedly tested or what not, but could have some cosmetic defects. I got this information from the Cozmo rep when I got my pump because I was just going to get the old model in purple (a color they are discontinuing) and upgrade the software when it came out. I decided to get the new pump and black instead because of this information.

Funnygrl
By the way, if you order a cozmo now you should get the new pump (1800). So upgrades probably won't be a problem for a while unless they have a problem. I ordered mine on Dec 16th and got it a week later.

The only negative thing about Cozmo's upgrade program is that if you return your pump for an upgrade, they will send you a used (different one) back. They are supposedly tested or what not, but could have some cosmetic defects. I got this information from the Cozmo rep when I got my pump because I was just going to get the old model in purple (a color they are discontinuing) and upgrade the software when it came out. I decided to get the new pump and black instead because of this information.

My current pump is a refurb. I sent my old pump back with a huge scratch on it. My current pump is spotless. And it works perfectly. They do not have cosmetic defects. A rep told me they only ship perfect looking pumps.

So you have the 1800 now?

iron999mike
My current pump is a refurb. I sent my old pump back with a huge scratch on it. My current pump is spotless. And it works perfectly. They do not have cosmetic defects. A rep told me they only ship perfect looking pumps.

So you have the 1800 now?

Well that is good news. I didn't want to take a chance. Really wanted purple though, darn.

I have the 1800 now yes. I got it on Dec 27th and started pumping on Jan 9th. I am a new pumper though and wasn't getting an upgrade. I am just guessing, but I am thinking the upgrades take longer as they probably put an priority on new customers. In there defense though, I am sure a mass operation upgrading all those pumps takes a while too.

I really like it compared to MDI, but have a few qualms about how the Cozmo user interface is laid out. They could have done a lot better in my opinion. I don't know if it is different from the 1700, but all the settings are laid out in a linear fashion. So if you want to change one thing, you have to go through the settings page for several others first.

Also why would the vibrate/beep setting require 9 button presses (getting in and out)? :thumpdown

Funnygrl

Yeah, that 1700 is set up like that too. For the most part, I don't mind it. I do all my setting via computer, and the options you use a lot (bolusing, temp rate) require very little button pressing.

Do you use the food database or the weekly programming?

Dewey
I really like it compared to MDI, but have a few qualms about how the Cozmo user interface is laid out. They could have done a lot better in my opinion. I don't know if it is different from the 1700, but all the settings are laid out in a linear fashion. So if you want to change one thing, you have to go through the settings page for several others first.

Also why would the vibrate/beep setting require 9 button presses (getting in and out)? :thumpdown

Truthfully, other pumps have similar layouts. You have to go to setup in each one to get to the sounds. Now, maybe with Animas it requires fewer button presses, but it's not available on the fly on any pump. Like Funny said, you can also set things up via IR with the computer, which makes it easier. :thumbsup:

I've upgraded in the past, but had my pump upgraded in person. The rep. came & took us out to eat (Score, lol - jk! :D) and upgraded the pump while we all snacked.

I've also had to replace the pump once due to stress fractures on the battery housing. When I got the new one, it looked brand new (just like Funny's) - no scrapes, scratches, etc..

Overall, I love the Cozmo & have had no problems with the service, features or anything on it. It's good that you got the new one. I'm hoping (this has never been said to me, just a personal wish) that in the future, we'll be able to select our colors (i.e. purple, green, blue, ice blue, etc.), regardless of the model we get. That'd be awesome!

iron999mike

I (un)fortunately don't have a microsoft computer. I did use my parents comp to mess around on it and program some of my favorite foods and back up my settings. I also managed to delete my blood sugar history. I heard the program wasn't great so wasn't expecting to use it so it wasn't a problem. My schedule is pretty stable at the moment, so i don't use the weekly schedule.

I don't mean to be picking on Deltec specifically. I did do a lot of research before I chose a pump and I still think the cozmo was the best choice. I think that all of the pumps I saw had this problem to some extent. I believe all of the pump companies could do a much better job with there user interface. The computer software is also an disappointment. It looks like it was an afterthought. Again not picking on Deltec, I have heard this is a case for other companies as well.

I am sure they will get better with time, but I am impatient and an perfectionist, and there is no technical reason that they could not have been better now. :hmpf:

elsex3

New to thread, but one thing smiths medical told me is that there is a great demand right now for this "upgrade" and just be patient, (obviously). But I think one of the greatest things ever about diabetes management, is the introduction of the integrated glucose monitor and pump.. It is the ease of multi testing that will make every pumper a pro! when the navigator comes out and (Im guessing) Talks with cozmo pump, this too will be Amazing.. I have been Type I since 86 and wish I could have had this precision tool the whole trip. But have only have been pumping for 1.5 yrs. LOVE IT!!!

Lloyd

Another feature of the Cozmo 1800 which as a T2, I find very useful, is 4 user defined reminders. I set these to remind me to take my oral meds.

I really like the meal Bolus reminder, because it only goes off if you don't bolus during a user defined mealtime (like 5 to 7 PM for example).

-Lloyd

panda1076

Here are my thoughts on the OmniPod based on my experience...

Pros:

1. No tubing!!

2. Cannula insertion is automatic--no need for infusion set--just push a button on the PDM

3. Filling and changing pod is easy

4. Pod is a small enough size it's usually not noticeable under clothes

5. PDM replaces the need for the part you'd usually wear on your waist/belt

6. PDM is user-friendly

7. PDM does not need to be with you except when bolusing for meals (basal rates are stored in pod memory)

8. Freestyle meter is built in

9. Uses AAA batteries

10. Can choose to use percents or units for temporary settings

11. Pod is waterproof

12. Great customer service

13. Can set BG reminders

Cons:

1. Haven't tried the downloading software, but heard it's not so great

2. Because you don't have to have the PDM near you at all times, it's easy to not hear the reminders/alarms

3. Pod beeps for various reasons (like reminder that pod will expire that day; or beeps to acknowledge that it's finished delivering an extended bolus) (do all pumps do this?)

4. Not available in all areas of the U.S. yet

Dewey

Panda, thank you for sharing your experiences with the Omnipod. :thumbsup: I was hoping someone who uses it would come forward & give their pros/cons list.

I'm also hoping to find users of other pumps, such as Amigo or Dana Diabecare. Even if they're not used in the US or have been recalled, it would still be cool to get a pro/con list from those who have used them. :)

mequick

I am in the market for a 1st time pump. In finishing up my comparisons, I chose the new Animas 2020. This brand was chosen strictly for the visual display, because I have poor vision - especially for smaller detail dealing with color, contrast, and font size. Also, a RF tethered BG meter will be coming out in the not too far future and I think a CGM is in beta somewhere. With my visual problems, I will probably never consider the Animas micro unit.

I compared the Animas, CozMore, and MiniMed. All three seem to be fine pumps doing the same function, just a little differently. Medicare, and some insurance's, will not pay for the MM CGM, or the expensive monthly supplies, so the CGM was not a consideration for me. The MM had a better back light than the CM, but the CM had a better normal screen than the MM. A wash out here. Animas had the best screen for me. The MM does not have a carb menu support, but the other two do. I intend to use this, until I memorize all foods and their nutrition's.

The Animas 200 unit cartridge just covers my three day TDD. Whew! I am told that my TDD will drop with the pump. I know that when I switched from Humulin U to Lantus, I dropped about 24 units per day. Will continue this trend?

I am told that Medicare is being petitioned to cover CGMs. Will hopefully be able to consider this unit someday.

Lloyd
I

The Animas 200 unit cartridge just covers my three day TDD. Whew! I am told that my TDD will drop with the pump. I know that when I switched from Humulin U to Lantus, I dropped about 24 units per day. Will continue this trend?

I.

I dropped from 99 units / day injections to 80 units /day when I started on the pump. I understand this is typical. 45 days later, I am at 60 units / day. I'm a T2, which likely explains the second drop.

-Lloyd

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.