Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Pump Comparisons.....All about pumps/companies

panda1076
These pump comparisons have help a lot, Thanks. I am tryng to decide which one is for me. I have narrowed it down to the Minimed Paradigm or the OmniPod. DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE OMNIPOD?:smile:

Glow--Sorry I didn't see your post back in December. I use the OmniPod and love it! I started using it at the beginning of December. Which did you end up deciding on?

panda1076
I chose the new Animas 2020. This brand was chosen strictly for the visual display, because I have poor vision - especially for smaller detail dealing with color, contrast, and font size.

mequick--

I looked at pictures of the Animas2020 on their website. The screen does look big. But did you check out the OmniPod?

If you aren't familiar with it, it's basically a pump with no tubing. the part you wear on your body holds the insulin, and you control it with a palm pilot-type device (PDM) that talks to the pod using RFID I think.

The PDM is very easy to use--big buttons-- and the screen is very large (larger than most pumps). Judging from the pictures online the PDM looks like a larger screen and font size than the other pumps.

Maybe it's too late now, but something to think about in the future. With the OmniPod it seems like you'd have the best of both worlds--small unit to wear on your body/easily concealable, but larger buttons and display on the device itself that controls insulin delivery. And, they too are coming out in the future with a CGMS sensor that will communicate with the PDM.

mequick
mequick--

I looked at pictures of the Animas2020 on their website. The screen does look big. But did you check out the OmniPod?

If you aren't familiar with it, it's basically a pump with no tubing. the part you wear on your body holds the insulin, and you control it with a palm pilot-type device (PDM) that talks to the pod using RFID I think.

The PDM is very easy to use--big buttons-- and the screen is very large (larger than most pumps). Judging from the pictures online the PDM looks like a larger screen and font size than the other pumps.

Maybe it's too late now, but something to think about in the future. With the OmniPod it seems like you'd have the best of both worlds--small unit to wear on your body/easily concealable, but larger buttons and display on the device itself that controls insulin delivery. And, they too are coming out in the future with a CGMS sensor that will communicate with the PDM.

On your advice, I looked up the Omnipod. Unfortunately, it is not available in my area. I will have to stick to the new Animas 2020 "TV" quality screen. Best for me so far, at least until I get my feet wet.

Three Toed Will

Question about mini med 522/722, I use a paradigm from 02, I am going to a seminar regarding upgrade to CGMS, I am concerned about the fact that it is dificult or cannot be used on a plane. Is this due to CGMS interface? Thanks

Funnygrl
Question about mini med 522/722, I use a paradigm from 02, I am going to a seminar regarding upgrade to CGMS, I am concerned about the fact that it is dificult or cannot be used on a plane. Is this due to CGMS interface? Thanks

The CGMS technology and the BD meter communication have to be turned off on planes.

From Minimed's website:

Can I use the MiniMed Paradigm REAL-Time System on an airplane? Must I turn off the radio frequency during flight?

International standards and U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations require that devices using radio frequency capabilities should not be used on an aircraft. As a result, you must disconnect the transmitter from the glucose sensor while traveling on an airplane; however, you can continue using the insulin pump. It is not sufficient to simply turn the continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) feature off on the insulin pump, the transmitter will continue to transmit on the RF frequency and must be disconnected from the glucose sensor to stop.

While in flight, you need to manually test your glucose levels using a standard meter (i.e. the Paradigm Link monitor). When downloading data and reviewing historical reports, you will notice "data gap" where information is missing during this period of time.

typeone

I was unaware of the requirement to disconnect the monitor from my pump - - - I have lots of frequent flyer miles, and have never disconnected my Cozmonitor from my Cozmo. Oops, now the feds will come and get me.:D

Funnygrl
I was unaware of the requirement to disconnect the monitor from my pump - - - I have lots of frequent flyer miles, and have never disconnected my Cozmonitor from my Cozmo. Oops, now the feds will come and get me.:D

The Cozmonitor/Cozmo communication is allowed on a plan, the Minimed/BD meter isn't.

johnzoomer
The Luer Lock is a very common medical connection used everywhere in the medical community. It's because it's so simple with just a twist that you don't have to worry about it "unsnapping" so to speak. Minimed use to use the standard Luer Lock but in my opinion, wanted to keep customers from leaving them once Animas and Minimed came into the market, so they switched to the proprietary connection. People who liked MM would stay with them and upgrade their pump and be forced to choose a new infusion set. Then they would like that set and be forced to stay with MM.

In my opinion, there is really no advantage of one over the other. They both work quite well. If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said stay away from the Proprietary Minimed Connector as they only had a handful of infusion sets to work with it. Now, they have seen their drawback as people left them, so they are making more and more sets and one company has created the Luer Lock insulin cartridge for Minimed. There is still a larger amount of infusion sets in Luer Lock and some that more like than others, the Inset is one, which is a 90 degree canula and inserter all in one. So no more having to remember to take your inserter with you.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

WOW U da man! Do you know what the name of the device and where to get it to transform the Proprietary MM lock so that you can get every infusin set you want. I use the CLEO and it comes with it's own inserter. Yes that is correct one less thing to forget.

Dewey
The CGMS technology and the BD meter communication have to be turned off on planes.

LOL...What they don't know, won't hurt them. I don't have the BD Link meter or MM pump anymore, but do have the MM CGMS & left mine on during all my flights. Only thing I did was silence alarms. ;) Nobody had a problem with it & they didn't say a word. In fact, one of the flight attendants who has a relative with Diabetes was talking to me about the CGMS system. :D

I don't know why the FAA set it up that way originally, but it's been that way for years. Same applied to cell phones, but they're now considering changing it so people can at least text one another while in flight. What I don't get is that CGMS systems don't even operate on the same freq. as the plane equipment does.

statdeac

I was recently on a flight and the flight attendent told me I would have to power off my pump. I told her it didn't have an on/off button, since it was an always on lifesaving device. That explanation seemed to work just fine.

Charmed7

I've read every post on this string, and my eyes hurt. :eek:

I need to make a decision about my son's First Pump. I'm choosing between Cozmo and Animas. I read the flyer, and visited their website for Cozmo, and everything is just hitting home. From programing meals (ie School Lunch for the nurse), the attachment for testing (especially since he uses Freestyle test strips), waterproof and the program to use on the computer is perfect for me since I live on my computer.

My question is, am I missing something re: Animas? It just doesn't seem to have the bells and whistles that will make my life easier than I could imagine. If anyone has information that would be helpful regarding the Animas, please shed some light. I think I made up my mind, but I would hate to regret this decision.

Thank you.

Charmed :rock:

someone
LOL...What they don't know, won't hurt them. I don't have the BD Link meter or MM pump anymore, but do have the MM CGMS & left mine on during all my flights. Only thing I did was silence alarms. ;) Nobody had a problem with it & they didn't say a word. In fact, one of the flight attendants who has a relative with Diabetes was talking to me about the CGMS system. :D

I don't know why the FAA set it up that way originally, but it's been that way for years. Same applied to cell phones, but they're now considering changing it so people can at least text one another while in flight. What I don't get is that CGMS systems don't even operate on the same freq. as the plane equipment does.

I've worn my CGMS on a number of flights. I keep it in my pocket so there's really no way anyone is going to know. Are they seriously going to tell me that an 8 mhz (or something like that) transmitter is going to interfere with the airplane's communication? That is unbelievable and ridiculous.

Dewey, you might update your original post because the Animas software has been approved. I just called today and according to the person on the phone, they are shipping software to everyone who has purchased or upgraded to the 2020 in the order the orders for the pumps were placed.

w5wjp
I've worn my CGMS on a number of flights. I keep it in my pocket so there's really no way anyone is going to know. Are they seriously going to tell me that an 8 mhz (or something like that) transmitter is going to interfere with the airplane's communication? That is unbelievable and ridiculous.

Dewey, you might update your original post because the Animas software has been approved. I just called today and according to the person on the phone, they are shipping software to everyone who has purchased or upgraded to the 2020 in the order the orders for the pumps were placed.

The problem with RF devices is called intermodal interference or as hams call it ...intermod.

It is not the radios the are particularly worried about, it is the navigation equipment. Most airliners use GPS now a days and the signal from the satellite is not all that strong, wouldn't take much to cause significant interference. Imagine, flying from San Francisco to Tokyo and going a tad too close to North Korea. A degree or two difference in heading could cause disaster. Or flying the crowded skies in the US and being a degree or two off course and shaking hands with the plane headed in the other direction. If you know a ham operator, ask them to show you an example of intermod......lots of it on the ground, cell phones, pagers, business radios just about any other source you can think of. Oh, those nice big plasma TV...whew do they put out a bunch of intermod!!!!

nfy

I will be elgible for a new pump in July. I really like the Omnipod since I have problems with the lines in my MiniMed 522. You have talked about new pumps coming out in the latter part of the year. Who thinks I should await for a new arrical? and why.

Nora Pumper Type 1

nfy

I have been told that Omniod is not available or approved if Medicare is the primary insurance. Does anyone have information abot tha policy?

Funnygrl
I have been told that Omniod is not available or approved if Medicare is the primary insurance. Does anyone have information abot tha policy?

I believe older Minimed pumps (refurbished 508s) are the only pumps Medicare will pay for.

typeone
I believe older Minimed pumps (refurbished 508s) are the only pumps Medicare will pay for.

Medicare paid for my Cozmo 1700 which I upgraded to an 1800 with Smith's free upgrade program. :D

xMenace
i have heard that wearing pumps is difficult and uncomfortable. has anyone had any problems

You need to stop reading the Inquirer.

JediSkipdogg
i have heard that wearing pumps is difficult and uncomfortable. has anyone had any problems

I've been pumping for 5 years. At times they are uncomfortable but I'd add it up to maybe 3 days worth in a year. Which for the benefit is well worth it. Wearing them is very easy. Some on here worry about hiding it but I wear mine like a cell phone and most just look at me for having a pager, a cell phone, and what they think is another pager.

If you are interested call the pump companies up and ask for a trial wear. They will put saline in the pump and let you wear it for 3 days to see how it feels.

solox316

Neither difficult nor uncomfortable, in my opinion... Biggest problem was the first few years, just being self-conscious about it... but that passed.

Tucking in shirts is annoying, and sleeping is sometimes annoying when I roll over on it... Awkward moments otherwise sometimes... bathroom, etc....

panda1076

I wear the OmniPod. Not only is it comfortable, but i forget where on my body i am wearing it a lot of the time. Especially if it's on the back of my arm. Out of sight, out of mind.

lolos

I have tried wearing a sample pod on my belly area and I felt like something heavy is hanging on when I walk! I only wore it for couple of days and decided against it due to that annoying feeling. Don't you feel the same wearing it on stomach area?

I prefer the smaller infusion set.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.