Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Pump Comparisons.....All about pumps/companies

dottielove

Had my Cozmo since 2004? Warranty up--do I want to switch? Here's what I need: connected BG meter, tiny, waterproof. I want a CGMS. Smiths says a Cozmo CGMS is coming out this month. I hate my Cozmo's shape w/ the meter attached. I have drowned 4 meters, but I'm still hooked on the idea. I do not use the Instant Bolus button or IR computer interface. My pump slips out of the clip/sleeve all the time and drags my clothes down. I am very public w/ my pump so I don't like to hide it anywhere. Plus. w/ the meter, the Cozmo is a goofy "poke-outy" shape.

What to do? Anybody got opinions of the Cozmo CGMS system yet--Freestyle Navigator? Dottie Love

solox316
Here's what I need: connected BG meter, tiny, waterproof. I want a CGMS. ve

The Cozmo will be the only one with a meter attached. Unless you are calling a CMGS a meter.

I couldn't stand the size of the Cozmo with the meter... The overall shape of the Cozmo was kinda weird, I am much happier with the Paradigm, with the sport clip, very low profile.

panda1076
I have tried wearing a sample pod on my belly area and I felt like something heavy is hanging on when I walk! I only wore it for couple of days and decided against it due to that annoying feeling. Don't you feel the same wearing it on stomach area?

I prefer the smaller infusion set.

When I wear it on my stomach area, I usually put it off to the side, so it's not near the belly button area. I am overweight (have a little belly) so I try to put stick it away from the area that already sticks out! Not sure of your body type, but if you are thin, you could try moving it to the side, or lower down, below the pants line. That's where i put it when i wear a tight fitting shirt and don't want to pod to protrude. I also wear it on the back of my arm which i don't feel at all.

If you are interested in the OMniPod, you might as well request another pod and try it on again. The first time i put one on I also didn't like it because I chose a weird spot. So it started pulling away fro my body. But once I learned of good places to put it, that never happened again.

On the OmniPOd website (MyOmniPod.com) they have a guide for how to place your pod on your body for best results. It's under Customer Support.

Chappo

Hey Dewey,

The Animas 2020 now has a slow and regular speed for bolus delivery, so those people who feel stinging from bolusin can just change the speed to slow to have a slightly slower bolus delivery (i think it's a unit every 2 or 3 seconds).

mcgriff

I think a pump may be for me. One question among many is, what's the point of the remote on the minimeds? It seems you still have to have the pump within view to know what to do, thus making the remote kinda silly. Am I missing something?

JediSkipdogg
I think a pump may be for me. One question among many is, what's the point of the remote on the minimeds? It seems you still have to have the pump within view to know what to do, thus making the remote kinda silly. Am I missing something?

The remote, which I don't think comes with the pumps anymore, would allow you to either set the pump on vibrate or audible. You would then count the beeps or vibrates for however much insulin you had it set for (like each beep is .5 units.) I think all pumps have an audio/vibrate bolus option button that when pushed you can easily give a bolus without looking at the pump. Personally, in my honest opinion, it's something risky to do. I use it all the time (generally when driving), but then pull the pump out real quick to verity the amount on the screen. Nothing worse than having it give the wrong amount because you miscounted a beep.

Dewey
Hey Dewey,

The Animas 2020 now has a slow and regular speed for bolus delivery, so those people who feel stinging from bolusin can just change the speed to slow to have a slightly slower bolus delivery (i think it's a unit every 2 or 3 seconds).

I currently have the Animas 1250, and it has the normal & slow settings for delivery (normal delivers like 1 unit per second, slow delivers 1 unit every 4 seconds). Even with the delivery setting on slow, some have still experienced stinging. There are work-arounds, but I'm just saying that it has been an issue for some. I tried to put pros & cons of all pumps on the comparison list. I Love the Cozmo pump best, but it's based on personal experience, opinion & preference.

solox316
The remote, which I don't think comes with the pumps anymore, would allow you to either set the pump on vibrate or audible.

Doesn't come with Minimeds, but still is available. I don't want one more remote on my keychain, or anywhere for that matter. Of course, my pump lives on my waist, so it would never be needed... Maybe for people who put their pumps in more discrete places...

Personally, in my honest opinion, it's something risky to do. I use it all the time (generally when driving), but then pull the pump out real quick to verity the amount on the screen. Nothing worse than having it give the wrong amount because you miscounted a beep.

I use it all the time too, for simple boluses. 1.0/beep. Just like you, I look at the screen first 95% of the time... once in a while I am glad I do...

adlis5
I'm considering the Animas. Has anyone switched from the MiniMed to Animas?

I switched from Mini Med to Animas over 4 years ago. I had a Minimed 507 that was starting to sound certain alarms that didn't make sense. Warranty was up. I like the Animas 1250, but it's time to update again. I want a GMS and I am considering the Paradigm. I really like the Animas customer service. I also like the Lithium batteries because they last me about 4 months more or less. My main concern is being able to read the screen clearly. I wear 250+ reading glasses and understand that Animas is making a color screen that will be very legible. Does someone know or is using this pump?

butterflykisses
I switched from Mini Med to Animas over 4 years ago. I had a Minimed 507 that was starting to sound certain alarms that didn't make sense. Warranty was up. I like the Animas 1250, but it's time to update again. I want a GMS and I am considering the Paradigm. I really like the Animas customer service. I also like the Lithium batteries because they last me about 4 months more or less. My main concern is being able to read the screen clearly. I wear 250+ reading glasses and understand that Animas is making a color screen that will be very legible. Does someone know or is using this pump?

The Animas OneTouch Ping has the GREATEST screen ever! No CGM as of yet, but supposedly in the works. The meter/remote is like the OneTouch UltraSmart meters screen...kinda sucks, but it can be backlit and that solves the problem for me. As far as the text, it's easy to read with the light on.

AzArcher

Hello, I am currently using the Cozmore 1800 however, since they have discontinued their pump line :( I am now thinking about going with an Omnipod. I talked with their vendor this morning and he told me that they are teaming up with Abbot's Navigator for a combo pump/CGM system. Has anyone else heard like rumors?

butterflykisses
Hello, I am currently using the Cozmore 1800 however, since they have discontinued their pump line :( I am now thinking about going with an Omnipod. I talked with their vendor this morning and he told me that they are teaming up with Abbot's Navigator for a combo pump/CGM system. Has anyone else heard like rumors?

I've heard the rumors since 2007 but nothing much more than that. I miss my Cozmo. I think that the other pump companies should integrate some of its features. :(

E-J

I read this thread and and have to say that most pumps (if not all) have the same features. I ended up with an Animas 2020 a couple of years ago as it was the only waterproof pump (not just water resistant). As an avid boater that likes to swim and sometimes falls in the water this was the selling point for me. All pumps are easy to wear and un-obtrusive especially in todays society with cell phones worn on belts.

Some pumps have better interfaces with programs but all can be interfaced. My IR interface works fine to upload (or down load) info to EZ-manager.

Pumping made my life easier, I'm not really using less insuline, my A1C are not better then they were with MDI, but I love the convenience and won't go back to multiple daily injections as I already have given my self over 60,000 insuline shot in my short lifetime (41 years Type 1)

I'm looking at the Animas Ping next but don't like the idea of having to insert strips (I'm a longtime Accu-Chek Compact user with 15 strip canisters in meter)

don1942

Hi guys. I recently joined the forum and have been reading about pumping on this forum. I mentioned it to my endo and he had a sales rep from Medtronics give me a call who answered all my questions and discussed pumping in more detail.

Medtronics is checking insurance coverage (Medicare and United Healthcare or Caremart) and If everything comes back ok I will most likely go forward with the devise.

Based on your experience, is there more information or negatives I should be aware of?

mauimom
As mentioned, several friends here have suggested we make a thread to detail some of the highlights & lowlights of each pump & company. This is an excellent idea, as it will allow new & prospective pumpers to find answers to questions they may have.

That said, I ask that you please read this post entirely (or at least the First part!!) before submitting a reply:

In this thread, I ask that there be NO competitor bashing/slandering and absolutely NO "pump wars." What I'm trying to do is gather lists from fellow users who've used one or more pumps. In their posts, they should detail the pump's/company's pros & cons (with ones they’ve had experience with). In a way, it should be objective, but being somewhat subjective (i.e. giving props to one's company of choice) is fine, provided nobody steps on anyone else's toes. We must remember that what may work for one pumper (or soon-to-be pumper) may or may not work for another. Be helpful, but remain respectful. Thanks, and let’s get started!

Listed below are some of the highlights & lowlights of each pump/company I’ve had experience with:

ANIMAS Pros:

1. Extremely small pump

2. Large display screen

3. Very user friendly (and cool sounding alarm tones, lol)!

4. Universal Luer-Lock connection - can use almost any infusion set

5. Can set bolus reminders & BG test reminders

6. May soon be able to customize (pending release of software & upgrade)

7. Working on release of Micro-Pump (end of 2007)

8. Longest Battery Life of all pumps (8 weeks or more) AA Lithium

9. Offers Normal, CarbSmart, EasyBG, and Combo boluses

10. Can set desired insulin delivery speed (normal or slower)

11. Excellent customer service!

12. Cool color covers (and customizable ones! )

13. Can adjust contrast (good for users with vision problems!)

14. Working with Lifescan to release CGMS (possibly for use in conjunction with pump)

15. Waterproof

16. Can customize battery type being used (i.e. Lithium, Alkaline, etc...) and can insert used battery without “alarming”

ANIMAS Cons:

1. No Remote

2. No Monitor to link to yet...

3. Software not customizable yet

4. Some users have complained of stinging when blousing (due to swift delivery), but can be remedied with an extended or combo bolus)

MINIMED Pros:

1. Comes with meter, 522/722 work with the CGMS - communicates via RF

2. Has remote (sold separately)

3. Can choose to either use 515/522 with 1.8ml res. or 715/722 with 3ml

4. Has “Indiglo” backlight

5. Small pump

6. Cool colors available

7. Has clock and battery life on "screen saver"

8. Now has pump to sensor communication (instead of using separate meter)

9. Battery life decent

10. Sturdy pumps

11. Insulin On Board feature (IOB) (customizable on 515/715 & 522/722)

12. Multiple bolus options (regular, dual wave, square wave - similar to Cozmo's)

13. Now offers “skins” to put on pumps

14. Has multiple bolus options (Dual Wave, Square Wave, Normal, etc.) & Bolus Wizard

15. Has IOB (insulin on board feature)

16. More good features with each new release…

17. Can set reminders (for Blood Glucose & Bolus)

18. Easy to find AAA batteries.

MINIMED Cons:

1. Remote available (which is a pro), but may be a little steep to some on price ($150)

2. Not Waterproof

3. Some have experienced customer service issues from time to time

4. Complaints about inability to use meter/pump communications on flights. (not a big deal, but may be frustrating to some users).

The cons I’ve listed for each pump/company were discussed at one time or another. Most of the cons have never been a major issue for me, but they may be a factor for some users...Again, I'm trying to be objective as possible, but some of the pros are things that either I or others have experienced personally from each company.

Feel free to ask questions and add your own lists - but remember, play nicely please! :secruity:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the accu chek pump system and if you like it? I just got one and will be starting on it this week. I am currently using a cozmore pump but my warrenty ends soon and the company is no longer making pumps.

jmvaugh

Hi - I'm new to this Forum and find this thread very useful. I've been a Type I for 45 years and been pumping for 9 years. I'm using a Minimed 522 w/CGMs that I got last year as part of the "Medtronic Cares" programs when Deltec stopped development of the Cozmo. I'm going to get a new insulin pump towards the end of the year since my employer is switching health care plans yet again, "costs more...covers less". :eek:

I was wondering if we could update the Pros and Cons to the Minimed Revel and the Animas Ping and perhaps include the Omnipod and the new Accu Check? I'm trying the OmniPod this week to see if I want to take advantage of their trade-in program. You can keep your old insulin pump and the PDM doesn't go through your insurance. Seems like another sweet deal. The Medtronic Cares program was really wonderful.

I've used the D-Tron, the Cozmo, and now the Minimed and all the pumps have their own really cool features, but they also seem to miss out on features that would make managing my Diabetes Beast easier for me. :cool:

jtolpin

Getting information now...

Is the Original Post data still valid, as it's a few years old... have things chanaged?

Thx!

poodlebone
Getting information now...

Is the Original Post data still valid, as it's a few years old... have things chanaged?

Thx!

Both Animas & Minimed have released newer pumps since the original message. You can go to both companies' web sites and view their interactive demos and download the user manuals if you want.

priyaviv45

These are really nice features of the pump you have described..I liked it too much..My best frnds mom is having diabetes.. I just want to suggest them ur product

k_dub

I just want to reiterate how HELPFUL this thread was when I chose my pump! Thank you for everyone's input! I read and re-read this thread like 100x before deciding. Some much information imbedded here that cannot be found elsewhere!

crashandburn

so i was reading this and im just curious is the animas ping/ or dexcom supposed to be turned off during flights or rather will they tell you too?

k_dub

Hey Crashandburn,

The radio frequency between your pump and your Ping meter needs to be disabled during flight. It is easy to do, you just go to "Meter Settings", then to "RF" and turn the RF off during the flight. I turn it back on right after the flight.

I have a Dexcom and don't remember if that needs to be turned off during the flight. I think the transmitter is always transmitting even when the receiver is off, but I could be wrong? I think the last time I flew, I forgot all about it and left it on...

You hate to turn off your Dexcom while flying....traveling is always a time when my BGs do crazy things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.