Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Pump Comparisons.....All about pumps/companies

Gigem99
Hey Crashandburn,

The radio frequency between your pump and your Ping meter needs to be disabled during flight. ....

My son's father-in-law is a senior pilot for a major airline. I asked him if there was any chance that the transmission between my MM transmitter and pump could interfere with anything. He assured me that there is no way it could affect any avionics in the plane.

Makes a lot of sense, since the maximum distance for transmission is about 4-5 feet. Since he told me that, I've always left my xmitter on and happily fly being able to see my sensor readings.

I suspect the same is the true with the Ping and meter.

Ivor

I have had the Animas Ping for 1.5yrs, and the biggest problem IMO is the reliability. Mine had to be replaced 3 times in 1 year.

SueM
Any particular reason why Accu Chek(formally Disetronic) is not mentioned in this comparison?

Thnx!

Dal

Think of a ZX spectrum and that might give you a pointer. IE, no wizards at all, unless you are in the UK as they have the combo now.

poodlebone
Any particular reason why Accu Chek(formally Disetronic) is not mentioned in this comparison?

Thnx!

Dal

The Spirit isn't as popular as other pumps here in the United States because it's a 3 part system and the pump itself isn't "smart", i.e. it has no bolus calculators built in. People usually want to carry as little as possible with them and having to pull out a meter to test your BG, then pull out the calculator to manually enter that and the carbs, and then enter the bolus in the pump is time consuming. The Minimed & Ping both have meters that send the readings to the pumps and the Animas Ping meter also acts as a remote. With either pump you can enter the carbs directly into the pump to get the bolus calculation. With Minimed, you just have to press ACT to deliver the bolus but I do think Animas requires a few more button pushes, Still, both of those have all of the software right in the pump.

dgz924s

Liz...Let me see if I understand. Are you talking about how many units to bolus per X amount gram of carb?

Thnx!

Dal

poodlebone

Yes. With Minimed, I test my BG with the UltraLink meter. It beams the reading to my pump. I then decide I'm going to eat 52 grams of carbs. I enter that into the pump and the pump tells me I need 2.45 units of insulin (for example). I then just press ACT and the pump delivers the insulin without any other actions from me. If I want to change it to a dual wave or square wave (extended) bolus then I would have to press a couple of other buttons.

Granted, some people don't use the Bolus Wizard or any calculator and just do the math in their head, but most people do use that feature.

dgz924s
Yes. With Minimed, I test my BG with the UltraLink meter. It beams the reading to my pump. I then decide I'm going to eat 52 grams of carbs. I enter that into the pump and the pump tells me I need 2.45 units of insulin (for example). I then just press ACT and the pump delivers the insulin without any other actions from me. If I want to change it to a dual wave or square wave (extended) bolus then I would have to press a couple of other buttons.

Granted, some people don't use the Bolus Wizard or any calculator and just do the math in their head, but most people do use that feature.

Got it! I do the math and darn accurate too. I am at 1 unit per 10.5 gms. I was curious why no talk was bandied about on my pump and decided to inquire why. Thnx Liz!!

Dal

poodlebone

I've run across other Spirit users on various forums and they're all happy with their pump. That's really the only thing that matters. I know in Europe they have the Spirit Combo which combines the meter & calculator in one device and it also sends info to the pump and acts like a remote, much like the Animas Ping. The FDA has been making it really hard for devices to get approved so it might be awhile before it's released here in the USA.

brianwhitskey24

hey thank you very much my friend for all your effort. i appreciate your effort for this thread and for the information you have provided.

mikey0731

Animas OneTouch Ping

Here are the objective facts only as requested by the moderator:

• My 13yr old son has had the pump for about 1.5 years.
  • In that time, we have had to replace the belt clip 4 times, at a cost of approximately $20 to $30 each.  This is with normal wear of slipping the clip on to his belt in the morning and off at night.
  • I have called Animas customer support 3 times, and each time was told there is nothing they can do about it.
  • Issues with the clip and customer support are found frequently on the web.

NoraWI

You have filled the Forum with you complaint against the Animas Ping, Mikey! Quite unfair as the pump works well and your complaint is about a $25 clip. The fact that a clip breaks frequently when used by your 13-year-old son and costs a pretty penny to replace is NO reason to tell people not to buy a brand of pump. The pump itself has worked wonderfully for me for 5 years and I have had to replace the clip ONCE. I wear it at my jeans belt every single day and live and work on my farm doing all kinds of heavy and dirty work. I am very pleased with the Animas Ping. I did read somewhere recently that Animas has redesigned their clip and reduced its price.

shades9323

Animas OneTouch Ping

Here are the objective facts only as requested by the moderator:

• My 13yr old son has had the pump for about 1.5 years.
  • In that time, we have had to replace the belt clip 4 times, at a cost of approximately $20 to $30 each.  This is with normal wear of slipping the clip on to his belt in the morning and off at night.
  • I have called Animas customer support 3 times, and each time was told there is nothing they can do about it.
  • Issues with the clip and customer support are found frequently on the web.

Been on the Ping for 4.5 years and have had nothing but the best customer support. Although I don't complain about trivial things like a clip. I constructively find a way around the small problem. I broke one clip in the first 6 months and decided to use a cell phone case instead. Those last about 2 years a piece. Customer support has been great for me.  Had a new pump the next day when the casing around the battery cracked.  No questions, just a new pump overnighted to my work so I could have it as soon as possible.  I couldn't be happier with Animas as a pump user.

Alyriv

I'm a little late to the party here, but in am looking to get a pump. I may have missed it in so long a thread, but has anyone had any experience with the Tandem T:slim? So far it's my top contender and I would love some reviews. Thanks :-)

Deborah233

Pretty nice post, I found this post and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot, I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. I hope to give something back and aid others.

Bar&In

I tried the square wave feature with 2 slices of pizza and didn't work out well, went high at 1 hour point. Maybe need to put more in first dose then small amount on back end to cover late spike. I'm not real sure on those two features but the bolus wizard and meter auto send to pump are nice features.

Jenna1331

I am getting a insulin pump soon and I'm trying to decide between 2, the omnipod and the animas vibe. Does anyone have any reviews in those?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.