Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xMenace

Altace

xMenace

My GP put me on Altace a year and a half ago, 2.5mg a day. No signs of kidney problems, he just said I was about that age, and it was time to do it.

I really don't know what it does tho. Can someone please tell me?

Is anyone else on it?

duck
My GP put me on Altace a year and a half ago, 2.5mg a day. No signs of kidney problems, he just said I was about that age, and it was time to do it.

Is anyone else on it?

I find your doctor's line of reasoning alarming, but at least it will keep Wyeth Pharma profitable...

ALTACE

Cinnabon

My doc put me on it as protection. My insirance never approved it, at the time. SInce then I have been on Lisinopril 10 mg, as the same thing. No sihns of damage.

ladytaz

Is anyone else on it?

Never heard of it, but looked it up on drugs.com here's what it said:

Generic Name: ramipril (ra MI pril)

Brand Names: Altace

What is the most important information I should know about ramipril?

• Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Ramipril could cause birth defects in the baby if you take the medication during pregnancy. Use an effective form of birth control. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant during treatment.

• Ramipril can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

• Vomiting, diarrhea, or heavy sweating can cause you to become dehydrated. This can lead to very low blood pressure, electrolyte disorders, or kidney failure while you are taking ramipril. Drink 6 to 8 full glasses of water daily while you are taking this medication.

What is ramipril?

• Ramipril is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.

• Ramipril is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), heart failure, and to improve survival after a heart attack.

• Ramipril may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Hope that helps some

Keezheekoni

I'm not on that particular ACE inhibitor, but I am on one... It's called enalapril, which is generic for Vasotec. I do have high blood pressure, but I'm also on it to "protect my kidneys". As far as I know a lot of diabetics are on ACE inhibitors to protect the kidneys for some reason or another... LOL

Harold

For diabetics without highblood pressure it is to protect the kidneys. Also if you do have high blood pressure it is to protect the kidneys. The combination of high bg's with high blood pressure is the biggest threat to your kidneys. That's their story and they are sticking to it!

xMenace

Can you or anyone else explain how it protects the kidneys? Keep in mind I get lost if the words are longer than 4 letters:hmmmm2:

tanyatype1

I'm on Altace as well - my pump educator (also a type one) recommended that I go on it even though my kidneys are still fine. The doc said that it keeps your kidneys in the same condition as the day you start the pills. So if you start taking them before there's any kidney problems then (hopefully)none should develop. Preventative maintanence I guess! I read that this drug was originally developed to lower blood pressure and the benefit to a diabetics' kidneys was actually discovered by accident. Typical eh? Every morning when I swallow my pill I hope that 10 years from now they don't have a new study saying, "Whatever you do, DON'T take Ace Inhibitors if you're diabetic!" hehe! Oh well, bottoms-up!

tanyatype1

Cyborg - did the doc put you on something similar as an alternative? My doc said that if I developed a cough that they had other Ace Inhibitors that I could try.

Penny

I was on Altace for a long time(5years ?), then developed a dry irritating cough. My doctor changed me to Avapro, and the cough went away, until a couple of months ago. I was waiting to see if it was something else, but it is that same irritating dry cough. I don't see this doctor until January, I will wait until then to see if the Avapro is the problem.

rzrbks
Introduction

Diabetic nephropathy, a common complication in patients with type 2 diabetes, is the leading cause of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in the United States.[1] Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors have been considered agents of choice for providing protection against the progression of kidney disease for patients with type 1 diabetes.[2] The increasing use of ACE inhibitors to treat the early stage of nephropathy (i.e., microalbuminuria) is a response to the growing emphasis on initiating early treatment with a belief that this will prevent future organ damage.[3,4] However, the evidence that ACE inhibitors confer renal protection in patients with type 2 diabetes is based primarily on surrogate measurements, such as reduction of proteinuria or improvement of kidney function as assessed by changes in creatinine clearance or glomerular filtration rate (GFR).[5-7] However, ACE inhibitors lack the strength of evidence afforded by demonstrated efficacy against hard clinical end points, such as delaying or reducing ESRD in people with type 2 diabetes. This review re-examines the long-held supposition that ACE inhibitors represent preferred pharmacotherapy for delaying the progression of renal disease in patients with type 2 diabetes, and it assesses the data that have been used to argue that ACE inhibitors should be the standard of care in these patients.

Basically, the chemical reactions, in your body to the Ace inhibitors, help make the kidneys work better and maintain their health longer; thus protecting you from kidney failure and going on Dialysis..........which is pretty Nasty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.