Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HollyB

thyroid disease?

HollyB

It looks like my son, one year post-diagnosis, is showing early signs of thyroid disease (enlarged thyroid, some antibodies, no symptoms as yet. Bloodwork done today will tell us more.)

I know this is common with diabetes, and I know it's relatively simple to treat. But still.... it's upsetting me out of proportion to what it is. It just seems like a kid with a chronic illness should only have to deal with ONE thing, you know? And I have this creepy vision of his body attacking one organ after another...

Anyway, if anyone has experience with thyroid issues, let me know about it?

JediSkipdogg
But still.... it's upsetting me out of proportion to what it is. It just seems like a kid with a chronic illness should only have to deal with ONE thing, you know? And I have this creepy vision of his body attacking one organ after another...

Unfortunately, the human body works the opposite way. Once you get one chonic illness the chances of getting a second and third are greatly increased. I understand what you mean though.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with thyroid issues, let me know about it?

I haven't ever had a thyroid problem but I do know it can either make you gain alot of extra weight or lose alot of weight if not treated properly. Hopefully it can be treated easily and he won't have any weight issues to deal with.

Dewey

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1996. At the time, I had symptoms such as being slightly cold (at certain times) and lethargy (tired). My doctor put me on a pill a day (Synthroid) & I've been on it ever since. The dosages have changed over time (some increases, some decreases), but I'm doing much better now than before. It's not bad, as long as it's properly treated with the appropriate testing & meds. He'll probably be a bit more sensitive to cold &/or heat, but since things vary with each patient, he may have different symptoms than what I've experienced. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me or post. I'll be glad to try to help in any way I can. :shakehand

jen_slc

I started showing a slightly enlarged thyroid about 10 years into my diabetic life - my doc did blood tests and a radioactive uptake test on my thyroid and it turned out I was hyperthyroid. I definitely had the signs and symptoms: anxiety, hunger, insomnia, unfocused/no concentration, super fast heart rate (resting ~120bpm), headaches, high cholesterol, very soft velvety palms of my hand and transparent fingernails (the part that's normally white).

I know the feeling - it sucks that we already have one disease, why another? We're just prone to it. But it's not all disappointing news, there is a chance it will go away. My endo gave me a choice of therapy: kill my thyroid and make me permanently hypothyroid or take some pills to keep the thyroid levels down and see if that kickstarts it back into normal functioning. I chose the later, and about 6 months into it I went hypothyroid, which felt even worse than hyperthyroid. My dose was backed off until I stopped taking the pills completely - the drugs apparently did kick it into remission and that was ~4-5 years ago and I'm still normal. The earlier a hyper level is detected and the smaller the enlargement to begin with, the better the chances for remission is what I was told. I think they said I had about 60% chance, and it worked out in my favor. So you never know!

Do you have any results yet?

HollyB

Thanks. No, no results back yet.

I guess I'm a little freaked out because we're only a year in. I was thinking of these extra things as something that might come up down the road, not something right around the corner. Gives you a sinking, "Jeez, what next?" feeling.

I guess the good part is that Aaron has no symptoms, so if they've caught something, it's at a really early stage.

Cinnabon
It just seems like a kid with a chronic illness should only have to deal with ONE thing, you know?

I agree with you on this, so very much. Only 1 disease,Please!!

I was Dx with MS this April and I have Retinopathy . The one thing I wish I had done, was have taken care of myself better. This you can do. U have conplete control now. Is he on a pump?

lgvincent

I developed diabetes in 1968 and didn't have problems with my thyroid until early 1996. I developed grave's disease, a REALLY overactive thyroid. I couldn't pay attention to anything, couldn't keep my eyes on anything, lost about 25 pounds, and had lots of tremors.

They gave me radioactive iodine to treat it and all the symptoms went away very fast after that. Unfortunately, I've gained LOTS of weight since then. Before the grave's disease, I weighed 165 pounds. After it developed, I dropped to 140. It went back up to about 180 for a while but now it's gone up to 196. I don't know what's going on. I'm not eating any more than I was before the disease developed and I exercise about the same, but the weight still continues to increase. It's about to drive me crazy.

HollyB
U have conplete control now. Is he on a pump?

I don't suppose anyone has "complete control" over a teenager LOL. But yes, he's on a pump and his A1cs since diagnosis have all been in the low to mid-5s -- so he's doing really well on that front. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nada

Wow. I had no idea, until shortly after joining this forum, that diabetes and thyroid disease were related. I was dx'ed with Grave's disease in 1999. I had radio-active iodine treatment and have been hypothyroid since.

Cinnabon
I don't suppose anyone has "complete control" over a teenager LOL. But yes, he's on a pump and his A1cs since diagnosis have all been in the low to mid-5s -- so he's doing really well on that front. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Congrats on that control w/ him. you are so right about the teen thing! LoL

Its hard to stay positive, but we must try. Please keep is posted on him.

Patches_J

I assume those of you who developed Graves or Thyrotoxicosis and treated with radioactive iodine are now on Synthroid or other equivalent therapy. If one is hypothyroid one would gain weight, so if you have that problem and are not on treatment that's something to look into.

Diabetes and most thyroid conditions are autoimmune diseases and research shows they go hand in hand.

Thyroid disease in any form is easily treated either with Tapazole or radioactive iodine for hyperthyroidism or Synthroid or other alternative replacement therapy for hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Eri's mom

Wow, I'd love for Eri to have A1c's like that! Great job! :)

Eri was just tested yesterday for Hashimoto's...I don't do well waiting for results...

Also, she has severe acid reflux, gastritis, gastroparesis and little heart issues and migraines(am I missing anything?)...the heart and migraine things run in the family...both sides...

She's had diabetes since she was 6, so about 7 yrs now.

Please keep us posted!

HollyB

Thanks, I'll cross our fingers for both of us. I sure know what you mean about waiting for test results! There are definitely thyroid issues in my family (two siblings) so it won't really be surprising if Aaron's thyroid is conking out. Just depressing...

What a big load for your daughter (and you) to manage. Hope things are going OK.

beezle

My wife lost her thyroid (and a bunch of other things) fighting lymphoma more than twenty years ago. She won that impossible war and is still here giving me grief.

She is on a synthetic thyroid hormone. They check her levels pretty regularly and change her dose now and then, but I would say she doesn't suffer from anything serious related to it. The analog replacements such as synthroid work pretty well in her experience.

right2fight

There is a parent on the ADA forum who has for at least the last 10 years been dealing with a child with diabetes and attention deficit disorder. Bless her heart, her son has recently been diagnosed with tourettes. It rips our hearts out when our children are diagnosed with these chronic things but Holly, this mom seems to be dealing beautifully. Check out the parent's message board at ADA, it may be helpful and her name is Kara, she's so kind and always helpful to other parents. Margaret

Tattoo azz

HollyB.give the guy a ruffle on the head from me.I was Dx'd with an underactive thyroid in 1999 just as i gave up smoking(did that on my own by will power only),worst symptom was depression,now on thyroxin 200mcg per day,am ok now.:thumbsup:

Cinnabon. My mum has MS, i'm sending over a big hug with plenty of little squeezez as well

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.