Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JediSkipdogg

Changing the Date?

Should the date be changed?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should the date be changed?

• No, Keep it May 13th
    • Yes, Change it to June 10th
    • Yes, Change it to June 17th
    • Yes, Change it to June 24th
    • Other (specify)

JediSkipdogg

Ok, If anyone has booked a plane ticket or a hotel reservation let me know either on here or in a PM. Otherwise, read on.

It appears that some people can't make the May date and some are dropping out one by one due to that date. My question is should we move the event forward one month which was the 2nd most picked month.

Refer to http://www.diabetesforums.com/meet-and-greet/13283-df-meet-greet-vegas.html for hotel rates. Keep in mind some have gone up since that was made.

The dates being proposed are May 13, June 10, June 17, and June 24. So post your thoughts on moving the date to June.

Here are my thoughts. I'm game for whenever. June is a little hotter than May, but how much time does one really spend outside? Not to mention, a little sweating might do us all some good in trying to lose weight if we need to. I for one like it hot, so I'd pick the week where it's 110 degrees, lol. I also want the most people to attend. And for many, if they could make it in May, there really shouldn't be a reason they can't make it in June (although I'm sure there are some that way.)

I know some parents had problems with May and their kids in school. Therefore I'd assume by the last two June dates most would have kids out. I know Tony has a lawn mowing job, but I hope he could leave that for a few days and have someone else do it just that week? Or mow extremely tall grass the day he gets back. I want lots of input here.

So vote and put your input in.

gettingby

Doesn't matter to me as I probably won't be able to make any of the dates. Even though we have good insurance, Hubby's recent illness and hospital stay has taken a big toll on the financial situation. To all who are going, I apologize for not attending and someone have tons of fun for me !! :)

pinkytricia
Doesn't matter to me as I probably won't be able to make any of the dates. Even though we have good insurance, Hubby's recent illness and hospital stay has taken a big toll on the financial situation. To all who are going, I apologize for not attending and someone have tons of fun for me !! :)

Ohhhhhh... Juneish is good for me. I don't get out of school until June 2... The 17th or 24th is better an extra paycheck to blow at the Black Jack table!

Oh Man ! "gettingby" I wanted to see what you looked like next to "Duck"...

Maybe, you'll find some money under the sofa, mattress, old jacket ....

BriOnH

IMHO unless Tony is one of those people that can't make it (it is his site after all) due to that date I'd say keep it. No matter what date is set people will back out. It is unavoidable. Hopefully others will decide they come. The very first meet and greet will most likely be light. If we do it every year it will gain momentum. Unless T can't make it we have more then enough people to make this date the first successfull DF meet and greet.

Tony

Don't worry about me, both months are equally busy for me. If more people prefer June, then that's fine. I will work something out. Unfortunately there is no one I can count on or even trust to do my work for me while I'm away.

P.S. I split this thread up to stay on topic. It is important that we find the best dates and not get side track. You will find the other half in chit-chat.

JediSkipdogg

Brion, I understand that people will back out either way. Personally, I'm still surprised the May date ever came in first. It just seems though that we may get a higher turnout over the summer though when school is out. Maybe I'm wrong. The only major difference between the two so far is the temperature. The hotel rates are basically the same and flights look the same. I'm just curious though if people prefer a different date. Since it's still 5 months away at least, we have some time to change things unless people have gotten ansy and booked stuff already. At which point I won't make any changes then.

Dewey

Kevin, the May date came in first because some people are more sensitive to the 104 degree (F) temps that summer brings with it.

That was a BIG reason for it coming in first, but it depends on the activities being done. I know that Carwy & I would NOT participate in the golf (because 1, it's boring to us & 2, he canNOT be in the sun that da** long after having had TBI). On such a day, we could do stuff with other members...that is, providing we're able to make it.

Carwy

All I have to say is pick a date and I'll try to make it. I'm open. Also Dewey with the help of sun block I can spend a little time outside just not much.

JediSkipdogg

I think the most time spent outside during the day will be going between hotels. Or walking from one end of the strip to the other. And even then, one can make it from one end to the other with minimal outsideness. I too don't like the sun. I tried to say I was allergic to it, but that doesn't ever seem to work as a doctor's note to not do something. Yet, for some reason I love golfing, go figure. LOL

gettingby
I think the most time spent outside during the day will be going between hotels. Or walking from one end of the strip to the other. And even then, one can make it from one end to the other with minimal outsideness. I too don't like the sun. I tried to say I was allergic to it, but that doesn't ever seem to work as a doctor's note to not do something. Yet, for some reason I love golfing, go figure. LOL

It's the fair skin Jedi. I burn so easily.

Dewey

Don't get me wrong. I love being outside & swimming & all that, but since Carwy did the TBI, I've been watching my Ps & Qs more closely in terms of sun exposure. :( That's why minimal sun exposure would be best...of course, 20 minutes of sun per day is a good thing, but just need to be careful. :nerd:

I do hope to make it & am relatively open for now...

BriOnH

Either one works for me as well. I do prefer to stick with the original date, but will go with the majority. It felt like we were moving backwards again, but I think I was wrong. I have also been working on a javascript clock that countdowns the time until the trip :). Also would have been nice to see who voted as people that aren't going anyhow can vote.

jen_slc

At this point it's still too early for me to know, so I really don't care on the date and have no real reason to vote for changing or keeping May 13th. I won't know for another few months at the very least. I think because it's still so far out, the group who says they can go now could likely be a very different group by May!

Catie and Emily

GOLFING!!!

I like golfing. personally id attend, but ehh vegas, not much that 17 yr olds can do besides shop and sit by the pool and eat, sleep.

So lets plan on the big 21 bdays meet n greet.

Tricia452008

i think June would be good...but IF i did make it i would only be out there for a couple days cause of work... but thats just me

camjen1

Tricia a couple of days is better then nothing. Besides, I'm sure there are a few others that won't be staying the whole week. :top:

BriOnH

Looks like June is winning. Good thing I didn't purchase my ticket and hotel!! Let me know when you purchase yours kev and I will purchase mine :) .

JediSkipdogg

It does look like June is winning. HOwever, before I go forth with officially changing it......

Can the two people that voted NO please PM me and explain why? Is it a personal conflict or something else? Anyone else can PM me any other reasons to not change it as well. I just want to get the date 100% set and not hurt anyone's feelings. I should have the final decision by the end of this week.

Dewey
Tricia a couple of days is better then nothing. Besides, I'm sure there are a few others that won't be staying the whole week. :top:

Yeah, or some might break off & do their own things...Some are not much into "schedules," anyway! LOL

JediSkipdogg
Yeah, or some might break off & do their own things...Some are not much into "schedules," anyway! LOL

That's why I want to really keep it open when we get to that point. I don't want to say at this time we are doing this followed by this and then this. I'm not making a diabetes boot camp, lol. Once we get to planning I just plan on maybe planning a breakfast or dinner somewhere. Maybe a trip somewhere. Then the rest will be open. People can make plans the night before of where they want to go together and it can either be all of us or 5 little groups.

jen_slc

I have the same feeling. I may come out for the whole week, I may just do a couple days. And either way, I might be likely to bring my b/f, my sister and BIL too, so I'll spend a bit of my time with the DF fam and the rest with my other fam. :D

BriOnH
It does look like June is winning. HOwever, before I go forth with officially changing it......

Can the two people that voted NO please PM me and explain why? Is it a personal conflict or something else? Anyone else can PM me any other reasons to not change it as well. I just want to get the date 100% set and not hurt anyone's feelings. I should have the final decision by the end of this week.

I was one who voted no.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.