Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetcheeks

90 mail order?

JediSkipdogg

Are you talking about 90 day mail order? I'm on it with my insurance company and love it. For one, I don't have to worry about going to a pharmacy ever. I've also never gotten a new prescription, when my current one is about to expire mine automatically calls my doctor's office up for a new one and renews it.

Sometimes the individual boxes the supplies come in are damaged from shipping, but they are generally just bent and crushed and what's inside is never hurt. That doesn't bother me since I throw the packaging away.

If you order insulin you get some super cool ice packs. Between my mom's house and mine we must have about 100 ice packs. Great for coolers and injuries.

In my experience, I've NEVER had to argue or even call them up. The opposite is true with going to every pharmacy (and I've tried Meijer, Walgreens, and Target.) My problem is I use 2400 units of insulin a month, that's 2.4 vials. Well, they don't see 4/10 of a vial. In a 90 day supply that is 7200 units. At the pharmacy, they would generally give me 1 vial, then I said I need 3 and they'd say that's alot of insulin. I'd say my prescription says 80 units a day. So then they'd say they can only give me 2 vials without insurance authorization first. I said what if I don't feel like waiting for that and their answer is I can come in at 21 days and pick up my next months' worth. Sorry, but I WILL NOT live vial to vial on insulin. I want backup. So what does my mail order do? They send me 8 vials, 8000 units, that's 800 extra. And guess what? No questions asked. They just automatically do it and so I generally have a good amount extra all the time which is nice if I ever lose insurance for some odd reason.

I hope that helps some. For me, nothing but positive results from mail order and negative from pharmacies.

JJenson

I am on the 90 day with Medco and love it. This not only saves money but time. It was mailed very fast and right to my door. The only problem is make sure you have some supplies for the first time cause it took about 3 weeks to get everything processed and then to me.

Not that 3 weeks is a big deal just for planing. But I do love it and I only pay 2 copayments and save my third one so its alot cheaper than going down to the pharmacy.

I would definantly recomend it to anyone.

Jeff

jen_slc

Same as Jeff and I love it. Same as Jedi too: bad experiences with retail pharmacies, good experience so far with mail order. It does take a little bit of time (few weeks) to get new prescriptions mailed/faxed in and processed and mailed out, but once you have everything set up, it's totally easy and fast. Get more supplies and they're cheaper too.

Nada

I *think* that's what I have to. I just started. They told me they send 3 months worth of prescriptions at a time... I really like the idea. :)

Jedi, that's a drag to have to argue with the pharmacy about how much you need. In Canada, you can buy insulin over the counter.

koblenz

I am with the mail-order pharmacy sponsored by my insurance. I love it but there are a few quirks.

The good is they give me 90-days worth of script for only 60-days worth of co-pay!

The bad is they won't automatically renew the script when it expires. I have to get the doctor to fax new ones each year. They do call me and remind me they are going to expire, but won't call the doctor. Weird!

In fact, I am expecting my "cooler" of insulin and test strips to be delivered today.

I am also on the pump and my mail-order pharmacy doesn't do pump supplies, so I have to do those through another source.

sweetcheeks

yep i called this morning, they said two weeks turn around time, from the time they get it, so if i fax it, i can have the stuff here by the time i need my Bloodpressure pills refilled, i just went and got another 100 of strips today as i was out, and my new script calls for 200 so, the 100 will due me as well, and i just got my metformin filled yesterday so.... i think ill be set if they can get this stuff in action soon.

i had to call the dr's office to get paper scripts in order to send them in. I dont think thats a problem, but the mail order company said they would do the calling when the meds needed refilled before it was due....... boy if they give me 90 days worth for 60 day price will be even better lol

i just got on a program today that allows me to get all my diabetic/bloodpressure pills at an 8 dollar co pay regardless of my regular co pay so

my BP pills were normally 50 per month, now 8, 42 dollars savings

test strips - 30 dollars per month, now 8, 22 dollar savings

metformin - already 8 per month, no change

so all in all im saving 64 dollars a month now.............weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

lgvincent

It's fair, but nothing worth writing home about. Even though I requested 90 day supplies of drugs (seems like it has to be written into the prescription by the doctor), I only get a 30 day supply at a time and if I forget and don't reorder, I run out, just like before. With a local pharmacy, at least I can go and get the prescription that same day. With mail-order, it takes a while for me to get it.

It's okay with glucose strips, though. I do get a 90 day supply of them, although thanks to the doctor, I'm only getting 5 strips per day rather than the 6 I requested. I got angry and cursed like a drunken sailor just to get the 5.

barbarac

I have Caremark, and all except one time they were great. Once they left my insulin on my front porch, which no one uses. I didn't know it was there. The ice packs weren't still cold by the time I found them, I called, they immediately sent out a replacement order--no problem. That wasn't their fault, but Fed. Express. I get a 3 month supply for one copay ($35). They send me 10 vials at a time--would have been almost $100 at Walgreen's.

duck

I have mine through Cigna and it works well for me. I only do the strips and my thyroid meds, I have a concern about shipping insulin when it is warm-weather around here.

jen_slc

Another thing I've just noticed with my mail order service (Medco) is that for every temperature-sensitive prescription they fill now, their automated system calls me up at work to verify I'm the right person, they have the correct shipping address on file and ask me for my preferred day of delivery. That way it won't get shipped back to them or sit out in the sun somewhere. I like the extra precautions they take, even if it's just for their own benefit in saving money. My insulin has always arrived via overnight delivery, on time, and still cold. I suppose I have DHL to thank for that too. :itsme:

jeggeman31

If you order insulin you get some super cool ice packs.

They are great in your lunch box when you have a 12 or 16 hour day to keep things cold. The icepacks keep my bottled water cold that long.

I was on it, but left mail order for reasons I can't remember (C.R.S.) However I just figured it up and mail order would save me $200 over a years time. So I think I will be switching back to it here next month.

Ricros

We use Medco and it has worked well for us. We do the refills on line then mail in the new perscirptions. I get an email that they have the perscription, then when they are filled and finally when they ship. I do not like even going the the pharmacy anymore unless it is for a smaller perscription. Plus Aetnea changed our perscription policy so we have to use medco for any insurance help or pay full price.:banghead:

sweetcheeks

has anyone ever used liberty medical??? you dont have to send in the prescriptions for them, they call your doctor and get them when its time for you to get new ones.... im thinking about going with them

jeggeman31
has anyone ever used liberty medical??? you dont have to send in the prescriptions for them, they call your doctor and get them when its time for you to get new ones.... im thinking about going with them

United Health Care, uses Medco. I have never had to send a script into Medco, they do all the leg work and ship the meds out.

But to respond to your question, no I have never used Liberty Medical. I can't stand watching their ads on T.V.

bsr2002
I have Caremark, and all except one time they were great. Once they left my insulin on my front porch, which no one uses. I didn't know it was there. The ice packs weren't still cold by the time I found them, I called, they immediately sent out a replacement order--no problem. That wasn't their fault, but Fed. Express. I get a 3 month supply for one copay ($35). They send me 10 vials at a time--would have been almost $100 at Walgreen's.

I use Caremark as well, They told me they could deliver meds to P.O. Boxes instead of home delivery as long as the meds are not narcotics. :) So I don't worry about my stuff just sitting out on the porch. :D

Cheers

Tricia452008

Does anyone use Edgepark Surgical? I got a 90 day supply of strips and lancets charged at over 250 dollars and i think my final bill will come out to no more than 10 bucks...and the rep at Horizon said it may even be free!! score!!! i was just wondering cause if this is the case then im gonna see if i can get my insulin and metformin there also....i have alot of trouble with my insulin...::or had anyway:: cause i would go through soo many pens they would always give me trouble about refilling them cause it was "too soon" and there was no way i could be done with my insulin already...duh

jeggeman31
Does anyone use Edgepark Surgical?

I use them for my strips. I am thinking of dumping Animas and using them for my pump stuff also.

JasonJayhawk
If you order insulin you get some super cool ice packs. Between my mom's house and mine we must have about 100 ice packs. Great for coolers and injuries.

:stupido2: I've got about 20 packs ready to sell at the next garage sale my parents have! :eating:

JasonJayhawk
But to respond to your question, no I have never used Liberty Medical. I can't stand watching their ads on T.V.

I agree. I won't patronize any of the companies that advertise diabetes supplies. They make hundreds of millions in profit, and I feel like I'm doing my part in keeping medical expenses down for my insurance company by going directly to their most cost-effective route or through a pharmacy.

Liberty isn't the only one I dislike. There are a few that are known to spam and use hidden referral programs to trick people into signing up for what they think is a free glucose meter. Liberty's ads are pathetic when the announcer says, "You may even qualify for a free glucose meter." Makes me wonder how many customers are stupid enough to think they are getting something good.... the free meter is so they have Medicare pay for their hugely overpriced strips.

Some of the supply companies (like Liberty -- there are many others!) will even deal with the end customer by secretly making an agreement that the customer won't have to pay for their co-pay. Instead, they bill the insurace company high retail rates, so that the customer will do business for them. Great for the customer (us), but bad for the insurace company, who thinks the patient is paying for a co-pay on top of it. The patient is happy to save on their co-pay, but it's cheating the system, and likely to be illegal if reported.

A few months ago, I read about someone who got mad at their supply company because they forced them to buy an equal number of lancets for each glucose strip. The person kept telling the company they didn't want all the lancets, especially because they were generic railroad spikes. The supplier refused their request, and continued to ship them the overpriced generic spikes. That's one more way they pad in their profit, I guess.

_em

I get my test strips delivered through a mail order place called MedXpress, based in NC. I've only had a problem with them one time (my last order). I switched insurance companies and now I have to pay a $150 deductible before benefits kick in. So she only sent me two boxes instead of three to keep the cost down, but she apparently forgot to file my order or something and it didn't come in. It usually takes 3 days to ship, and it had been the weekend when I realized it wasn't in yet. I called her on Tuesday and she next-dayed it to me. Luckily I have a friend who uses the same test strips as me and he gave me a bottle of them. They only send me 3 boxes (150 strips) which last me about 6 weeks.

sweetcheeks

well i got signed up on the DirectScript Care Services

I didnt give them my strip script, because my doctor messed my script up, and only said i needed to test once per day WHATEVER! Last time i went to the doc's office she wrote me a script for 200 a month so ill just fill that script at the pharmacy then when i go back in feb for visit ill get another script that is correct.

but i get both my pills for a 20 buck copay for 3 months worth of pills and i got them in 5 days from the date of order. not bad

my insurance wouldnt do the liberty medical, which in a way im glad i think i like this company better, cause that guy from liberty was going to make me take lancets too, which i have to pay for outta my pocket, and i dont use a new one each time i test just about a new one every day or two. i'll just buy those when needed at walmart or something

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.