Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Think you might have diabetes?

Ponykid

Hello,

I just met the criteria for pre-diabetic. Lucky me! I went to the doctor complaining of fatigue, migraines, and dull chest pain because I needed to see her in person to get a refill on the migraine medication.

The doc didn't seem concerned and didn't refill the migraine med (yikes!) because she suspects "rebound headaches" and wants me to take a "headache class" (as if I haven't read every article I could find.) She did order bloodwork. Most tests were within normal range except a vitamin D deficiency (???) and a fasting glucose of 101.

So now I have pre-diabetes. She seems to think it is because I am overweight (BMI 30) wants me to lose weight I gained this last year. The thing is, I wouldn't have gained weight if I hadn't felt so awful these past few months. I have gained a 30 pounds since Sept. not by eating more, but by moving less due to fatigue. It is REALLY hard to get up some mornings. I feel so tired in my arms and legs. I don't quite know how to describe it.

It seems counterintuitive, but does high blood sugar make you feel tired?

Since my dad and uncle were both diabetic, I'm wondering if this pre-diabetes might be to blame for my recent health issues.

Another symptom I forgot to mention to the doctor is numbness/tingling in hands/arms that wakes me up when I am asleep. It that worth telling her? I get the feeling this doctor just thinks I'm a whiny drug seeker. I don't like taking medication but I have to work and can't teach a group of children with a raging migraine!

Ponykid

foxl

Just to interject another symptom ... FURRY TEETH!

I had noted that early on ... my teeth would just get filthy, no matter what I did or ate!!!

I can tell my BG on "high days," by the amount of plaque. YUCK. GROSS.

Back to regularly scheduled conversation ...

Ohana
Just to interject another symptom ... FURRY TEETH!

I had noted that early on ... my teeth would just get filthy, no matter what I did or ate!!!

Foxl,

I too notice this - when I go high after a meal, and need a nap to sleep off the high, after I wake up I am extremely thirsty and always feel like I haven't brushed my teeth in days!!!! It IS gross! Good think I am obsessive about collecting new toothbrushes and toothpaste!

missymew101

My doctor had me take my annual blood tests just a few weeks ago. When he called me to come into his office (I'd not gotten around to booking an appointment with him after my blood tests), I was apprehensive.

He told me straight out that my blood sugar reading was 6.8 I said that it had to be a fluke. There is no history in my family (both sides) of diabetes. My parents are a very healthy 82 years of age, and other relatives have lived to a ripe old age with no diabetes.

I eat a healthy diet - mostly raw fruits, vegetables and whole grain breads and muffins. I don't drink juice - just unsweetened coffee, milk and water. I eat very simple foods - no sauces - and very seldom eat any meat.

I have gained some weight over the past few years. I've also tested myself with a One Touch Monitor occasionally as I've had diabetic cats for over 14 years. I've always tested in the 4's - and once was a 5.0 It has blown me away with surprise.

The doctor has given me the monitor for 2 weeks and then I'm to go back to see him. He wants to see my readings over this two week period. I also think he knows I need to see for myself. And, yes, I'm seeing the truth.

I've always been a huge water drinker - so it never made me think that there was another reason for my huge thirst. I mostly eat salt free as well - I don't have high blood pressure - just have always avoided too much salt. I occasionally have blurry vision - but I suffer from migraines.

Thank you for listening.

I now see I've got a huge learning curve in front of me. I'm so glad that I've found this forum for information, support, and, hopefully some friendships.

-Susanne

rj13

Hello,

I had the same symptoms (except for the weight loss), but my doctor didn't diagnose me with diabetes until a few weeks after my wife was diagnosed.

RJ

rj13

Hello,

I'm new here, and I NEVER thought that I would say this, but ... my wife is smarter than me. Almost 2 years ago my wife bought a diabetes book about super foods and lost 27 pounds. More importantly, her average BS went down to 87.4 and a1c to 5.1% and her doctor took her off the diabetic medication. But, he says she'll be back on medication in a year or so.

Anyhow, I felt that I had nothing to lose, so, I tried this man's super foods and raw food diet program. My BS average went down to 85.6, my a1c to 4.9%, and I LOST 37 POUNDS [my wife is jealous :-)]

The author almost DIED from a diabetic coma, his book is well-written and very thorough -- he believes in raw food dieting, juicing, etc., and explains step by step what to do. It's so simple!

I was a little afraid of raw foods, I think because of the "bland" taste. But this author provides a lot of cool tips about how to make Brussel sprouts and broccoli taste sweet but still healthy for you! And, it works! I always hated Brussel sprouts because they're so BITTER, but not anymore! :-)

The author is an engineer. He breaks down the medical jargon and explains how diabetes really works, and why some diets won't work, and why certain foods are necessary for blood glucose stabilization. He also explains all the myths about diabetes.

p.s. I am so happy to be off the diabetic drugs! AND I FEEL GREAT! So does my wife.

p.s. It's been more than a year now, and my wife's docotr is surprised that she hasn't had to go back on medication. He's trying to convince her to take a low dose to be on safe side.

(Does that make sense to anyone? -- doesn't to me or my wife).

Sincerely,

Richard

Dollia

I have been to the doctor and it was a humilitating experience. I have another appt on Friday with another doctor who hopefully will refer me t oan Endocrinologist.

My symptoms

dry eyes slow to focus

dry mouth/thirst

frequent pee breaks,

headaches

EXTREME fatigue 1-2 hours after meals often but not always accompanied by nausea.

6 early Miscarriages after 2 easy uneventful pregnancies and births.

I am in excellent shape. I run 6-7 miles several times a week, not overweight at all.

I just turned 32, and don't smoke or drink (it makes me sleepy).

I finally bought a glucose monitor and my levels range from 74-161 1-2 hours after meals. I feel BAD over 120 however, from what I've read that's not that high, and rarely, do people have such symptoms with pre diabetes. I always feel great first thing in the morning and had one reading of a 112. I only feel bad after I eat, so I often either avoid (when I know i'm past my mealtime) eating or I graze all day. Only symptoms I can find with pre-diabetes are being overweight, which I'm not. Exercise doesn't always make me feel better either.

I guess I was wondering if anyone has anything helpful to bring up at my doctor's appt.

I DON"T have a diagnosis, but I was hoping that I might be prepared for my second appt, as I know my post prandial glucose levels don't seem to correlate with how badly I feel.

youngmiki13

wow..this is a very informative thread. Sometimes people just ignore these symptoms because they thought that it was no big deal. For example, when they are always thirsty they blame it on the weather. And the blurry vision, they blame of lack of sleep or something like that. They also associate their fatigue with the lack of sleep. My friend has ignored these symptoms for the longest time and now she is diagnosed with diabetes.

rravindranath

diabetic treatment is lifelong

otherwise life wont be long

so get it all along

knowing where you belong

ofatmarine

Since diabetes affects every organ and system in our body, I can sure see why the forum will wisely not diagnose it. The symptoms can be the usual plus a lot of others.

We need a professional diagnosis, I agree.

Greginnashua

Hi Everyone, Im new in the room and finally accepting the fact that I have type 2.

I have been having a lot of severe muscle pain in the calf of one leg and the upper thigh of the other. Is this something any of you have experienced?

dbf

Started Levemir injections about four weeks ago: belly has swollen up very drastically. For a while the blood sugar had better control, but the effects tappered off, while the blood sugar is back to pre-Levemir levels. Is this the start of metabolic syndrome? Should the injections stop?

The doctor has added Metformin. Feeling weak rather faint on this med.

Bethany

Well, I have been sick with bad "heart problems" for three years. They took a turn for the worst this last month. My doctor did a glucose test with bad results. I was only told however; that I'm hypoglycemic. I found out something new tonight from my grandma that diabetes runs strong in both sides of my family. I never knew this since I lost my mom a long time ago and my dad has never really been in the picture( although I love him dearly). Would the glucose test have shown if I had diabetes? Or is another test needed for that?

Harold

The glucose test would have shown if you had diabetes. A hypoglycemic friend told me his doctor told him it was common for hypoglycemics to develop diabetes. The excess insulin promotes resistance as well as wearing out the pancreas.

steverx

They now have an instant A1c test for home use. It comes with everying you need. With just a fingerstick you can tell if you have diabetes. The A1c Test is an average blood sugar over the last 90 days, and you don't have to fast.

According to the American Diabetes Association, if your A1c comes up 6.5% then you have diabetes. A normal A1c for a healthy person who is not overweight should be below 5% and the closer you are to 6.5%, means you are that much closer to being diagnosed.

Sof if you A1c result is close or over 6.5%, then get to a doctor ASAP! No reason to put yourself at risk for the complications.

Then if you do have diabetes, start to educate yourself with some good books, like Diabetes Solution by Richard K. Bernstein, MD.

95% of the care of a person with diabetes has to come from the patient and not your doctor. Knowledge is the only way to control your diabetes along with the help from your doctor, but you need to be incontrol

STeve Freed, R.Ph., Diabetes Educator

steverx

Forget about looking for the symptoms as below.

You can have diabetes without any of the symtoms.

The best way to diagnosis diabetes is to get an A1c test at your doctors office or purchase one of the selftests.

If it shows you have a result of 6-6.5% then make an appointment with your doctor ASAP and have him do a glucose tolerance test.

That is the best way to find out if you have diabetes or even prediabetes.

Steve, R.Ph., CDE

Do you think you might have diabetes?

First, see if you suffer from some of the following symptoms:

*Raging thirst

*Frequent need to urinate

*Rapid weight loss

*Blurry vision

*Fatigue

One of these on their own doesn't really mean anything. Several all at the same time might.

I have all the symptoms! Does that mean I have diabetes?

No-one here on this forum can answer this question for you. As a group we might know a thing or two about diabetes but there is only ONE group of people on the whole planet that can tell you whether you have diabetes or not - doctors.

If you think you have diabetes, don't umm and ahh about it. Don't bother getting some blood or urine testing kit from a pharmacy - at the most they'll point you in the right direction but they're by no means definitive. Don't kid yourself that you don't like doctors or hospitals. No-one does. But they're here to help.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE DIABETES BUT AREN'T SURE, GO AND SEE A DOCTOR.

Then we'll be able to help you with all the rest.

jer.lawrence

I think the point, though, is why would you be concerned about having diabetes if you DON'T have any of these symptoms? Sure, I think it's a great practice to get tested regularly, but if you're having these symptoms, that's probably what brought you to this post in the first place.

DeusXM
Forget about looking for the symptoms as below.

You can have diabetes without any of the symtoms.

The best way to diagnosis diabetes is to get an A1c test at your doctors office or purchase one of the selftests like the one at a1cselftest.com

If it shows you have a result of 6-6.5% then make an appointment with your doctor ASAP and have him do a glucose tolerance test.

That is the best way to find out if you have diabetes or even prediabetes.

Incorrect. You cannot diagnose diabetes from A1c alone, and self tests (such as the one you are promoting for the purposes of advertising) are not necessarily reliable. As I said, if you THINK you have diabetes then the best thing to do is a see a doctor, who will decide on the appropriate course of action based on their medical training, rather than what a marketeer suggests.

type2i hate it
I think it's a good idea to have a finger prick BG test every time you see your doctor, or at least once a year. It's painless, inexpensive, and could possible catch rising bg levels before they get too bad.

I was perscribed the metformin 500mg and now he switched me to Janumet 50/500mg he told me ot take it 2 times a day or I could take both of them at night so my BS not rise during the night I go to Endo on tuesday, By levels are really off the charts in that in morning one miht be a 81 without any meds and then 2 hours after I eat 180 and now that I am on this new meds I run around 92 and at night it starts to climb but i not want to take it at night considering I worried it will drop to low Am I thinking right or what are the chances of it dropping that low? enough ot cause me and problems my A1C was only 6.5 so I am a lil worried ot be on this medicine 2 times a day. only been on the 50/500 for 4 days and I find that my blood sugar is the highest in the morning not really sure why this is. any suggestions?

healthyone

Hey Tropo,

I share some of your skepticism. There are good doctors and bad doctors. If you don't like the response of one, find a doctor that will take your symptoms seriously, answer your questions, and diagnose and treat you appropriately. Ultimately, our health is in our hands.

jerryn
Mods, sticky this if you wish.

Do you think you might have diabetes?

First, see if you suffer from some of the following symptoms:

*Raging thirst

*Frequent need to urinate

*Rapid weight loss

*Blurry vision

*Fatigue

One of these on their own doesn't really mean anything. Several all at the same time might.

I have all the symptoms! Does that mean I have diabetes?

No-one here on this forum can answer this question for you. As a group we might know a thing or two about diabetes but there is only ONE group of people on the whole planet that can tell you whether you have diabetes or not - doctors.

If you think you have diabetes, don't umm and ahh about it. Don't bother getting some blood or urine testing kit from a pharmacy - at the most they'll point you in the right direction but they're by no means definitive. Don't kid yourself that you don't like doctors or hospitals. No-one does. But they're here to help.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE DIABETES BUT AREN'T SURE, GO AND SEE A DOCTOR.

Then we'll be able to help you with all the rest.

Maybe we can make a joke version of thist list LOL.

I've got DB, but the family guy Wilfred Brimely skit cracks me up very time.

LOL

mville9227

Hi,

I'm a college student and am beginning to think I have diabetes. I haven't noticed any of the other symptoms really with the exception of a bit of fatigue. What I've really noticed however is a sweet smelling urine, and all of the research I've done is saying it's diabetes.

Is this true in those who have been diagnosed, was this an early marker?

Davidus416
Hi Everyone, Im new in the room and finally accepting the fact that I have type 2.

I have been having a lot of severe muscle pain in the calf of one leg and the upper thigh of the other. Is this something any of you have experienced?

If muscle spasm seems to be the culprit, it is probably due to hypokalemia (low K+) caused by the correction of long standing hyperglycemia or hypocalcemia (low Ca++). Mono-neuropathies occur with diabetes, that is sensory and motor nerve injury and this might be the cause of the pain. An EMG by a neurologist might help clarify this. You might also consider trying Lyrica to see if this helps with the pain. If it does, then this lends credence to nerve injury from sustained hyperglycemia. Do you know what your HgbA1C is? It should be below 6.5. How old are you... are you overweight? Type 2 can be type 1 in in disguise (so called honeymoon phase)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.