Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Think you might have diabetes?

missdowndazed
I'm so glad we have a sticky on this now. I'm sick of seeing a new post every week about someone who thinks they have diabetes and wants the internet to diagnose them instead of going to see a doctor and getting a real test. I don't care if you don't like doctors or hospitals or blood or needles or whatever. Just go, **** it. And btw, nurse practitionars and PAs can make medical diagnosises too, at least in the US ;)

Well, that is easier said than done. I have no insurance. I already have mad medical bills in collections. Even it I were to goto the Hospital, they wouldn't do ****. They would run blood test, tell me this and that, and send me out the door referred to a physician. I am broke. I am about to lose my home. I have PCOS which can cause diabetes, let alone it runs in my family. I have used my ex's extra meters before and my BS was always extremely abnormal. I live in MIssissippi, so we don't really have any low income facilities to help with that. Only if you are on welfare with 10 kids!

shyam
Oh I'm so glad someone else has the chronic chest infection thing going on. I've had it all last year and no antibiotic on the planet has helped. Going to the doc again next week. What have you done when you have it?

I had a similar congestion which would keep bouncing back like a yo-yo. It was diagnosed as Bronchial Allergy and my doctor prescribed me an Accuhaler pump for 2 months. Now i'm OK.

kcorn

Have the diagnosis without any of the listed symptoms. Denial is easy when you don't feel sick. Need help falling in line with testing dieting and exercising.

217maggie

i picked you because of "blunt" This may sound weird but I am almost 63 and have almost never been to a doctor. Injuries, yes; check ups and illness, no. I haven't been sick and I don't take meds. I exercise and eat extremely well. I started having weird symptoms and there is alot of Diabetes II in the family so I went to Walgreen's and bought the meter. My sugars were 120-150 so I called a doctor who is a diabetes doctor. That was two weeks ago and my appt isn't until 12/23/10. Woke up feeling awful blood sugar was at 153. Am I supposed to see a general practitioner? Am I supposed to be going to the emergency room? I am retired, on a limited budget and my insurance is $5,000 deductible so I have been trying to skip steps I guess but I am afraid I have made a mistake. The problem in my mind is that since I haven't gone to doctors I don't know what steps to take but this seems ridiculous as I sit here this morning feeling very unsteady.

djoe

I am posting for my husband. I have set him up as a user on this forum, hoping he will utilize this site. I watched my grandmother die from complications of the disease, my Dad had a leg removed below the knee due to gangrene from the disease and then a year or two later died from a heart attack. I don't want to see my husband suffer. He is 50 yrs. old and has had all the symptoms for some time now. He doesn't want to talk about it, but knows he has it. He likes his cookies (I don't buy) and candies. We have been married 30 yrs. and I am recovering myself from a heart condition, severe Lymphedema, bouts with cellulitis and Congestive Heart Failure and am currently in A-Fib. I know he hasn't been feeling well lately and has complained of something going on in his lungs. He says they kind of burn sometimes and it leaves him feeling really exhausted and generally bad. He has a job where he works at a desk, but there are times he has to go out on the floor and work on some of the machines. He has been a machinist/tool maker and now Tool Designer. He smoked when he was young, but hasn't since we've been married. I was wondering if there are any Diabetes patients that suffer with the feeling he is describing? He won't make a Dr. appt. himself, so I am going to have to do it, I'm afraid. I did ask him the other day, if I were to make an appt., would he go? He said; probably. We have 3 grown children and 3 grandchildren and the children all want him to go to the Dr. I know with a weight problem myself and trying to get that in control, that you have to be willing and ready to change your lifestyle and work hard at monitoring what you do for the rest of your life. He doesn't want to have to monitor. I understand that, but at the same time, I know it's not realistic. We have to. I am not Diabetic, but I do have alot of health issues, including severe obesity. As I said, I am working on that. I see a Dr. regularly and Cardiologist regularly for my issues. I think he doesn't want to face these issues. Any advice for a feeling helpless wife?

Spock

I'd make that Dr. appointment ASAP (in fact, sooner than ASAP!) I would print out what you just wrote and give it to the doctor. In fact, give it to him/her right away before the visit.

My sister is a doctor, so believe me when I say that they have seen it all before and will know how to handle this.

Please keep us updated! Good luck!

Keann

I've got all the symptoms for LADA or Type 1.5 -- I've got a full physical on Thursday and I plan to bring up my symptoms.

But this is all from information on the internet. I'm also worried because I've got symptoms of ketoacidosis, and in light of the diabetes symptoms I am a little scared. Everything says to seek quick medical attention, and normally my doctor has room for emergency appointments, but on Easter Sunday this means emergency room. But perhaps I'm being alarmist, trying to diagnose myself from the internet-- Can someone even go into ketoacidosis with what might be pre-diabetes? I don't have a deep understanding of the disease.

I know the "diagnose me" posts are annoying to everyone but I'm also looking for some experiences of people who have gone into ketoacidosis, for some perspective. Sorry if this still falls under "just go to a doctor already," but I am still under my parents insurance, and I would have to justify the cost of the emergency room to them unless I wait until tomorrow. I'm home from school for Easter break, and while I've mentioned the gradual appearance of diabetes symptoms over the past week(without naming it as such), I've also mentioned the ketoacidosis symptoms (again, not naming it), and they just think it's the flu and I can wait until tomorrow. Perspective or advice welcome...Thank you.

Peakay

To Diagnose there MUST be 2 separate Readings?

I was told that a proper diagnosis needs 2 separate readings 3 months apart, for me the 1st one was 131 (7.2) (Passing mark is 127 (7)), the 3 doctors I spoked to (yes I had 3 opinions),

- Doctor 1: You can turn this around with exercise and lifestyle change

- Doctor 2: You may have some sort of Diabetes but its very early or you may have elevated levels that day

- Doctor 3: You may be Insulin Intolerant or pre-diabetic; it's hard to know as your levels are just a few points over.

I have numerous blood profiles with the doctor that tested me and we found I tipped over 6 months ago; so this is the basis of them knowing a timeline of when I actually could have run into problems, and with that in mind, they feel I do have a chance to make things better, whatever they are.

I have not been for my second test, it is due in 2 months - 29.October.2011

My FBS is now 109 (6.1) and after a dinner my 2 hour mark was a 120 (6.7). During the night now it drops to 77 (4.3). I really do not know what to make out of all of this. I am doing the Newcastle University's - 600 + 200 Calorie diet now for about a week, the beginning was hard, but now I function ok. The depression kicks in when I look at my wife.

I had some higher readings but one of the doctors said, "the glucometer is accurate, but without the HBA1C or GTT, it cannot be for sure, and the fluctuations in between should be ignored as your body is calibrating to its new surroundings"

I believe I am pre-diabetic or Type 2, and was wondering what everyone thought about this from what I wrote above, one of the doctors said he has seen scores like this 131 (7.2) and people have just changed their lives and went into remission.

I am still (as from my other new posts) going through depression from it and breakdown occasionally; so any views will be appreciated.

But my main aim of this thread is to understand the "high sugar levels that day" or "you are pre diabetic maybe" or "You are Type 2 maybe".

Peakay
Also maybe the person is just not getting a straight answer from their Dr. My fasting bg was117. The Dr. placed the lab results in the folder and never called me. I had had a high fasting bg at a health screening a few weeks before requesting the bg test and finally called the Dr. office and asked what the results were. When the nurse told me I ask, do you not think 117 is a little high? No, was her reply. anything under 126 is not diabetic. Duh. It is pre-diabetic and I needed help. I did not need a diagnosis just advice on how to find the help I needed and a little assurance that I was not being unreasonable.

Most of the time when people come to this web site they have figured out the answer and just want assurance that they are not crazy. They don't need someone insulting them. They need encouragement to go seek the medical attention they feel they need. It does not hurt me to show a little compassion.

This is exactly what happen to me, and my doctor was not forceful about it, I am seeing him this week, and he is going to get a earful from me. I am going to ask him, why, Why did you not say the words Pre Diabetic, and I am thinking there are a lot of us here who are now facing Diabetes because of this, I have not been told out right I am Diabetic, because my D-Day (no pun intended) is in in 2 months.

davepc

I went to my Dr. because I was having strange tingling sensations in my hands and feet. The only blood test result I've gotten that points to diabetes is a fasting glucose level of 130. I'm going for a followup in 3 weeks. My Dr. never said the word diabetes but I have a family history of it. My BMI is in the mid 30's. I've started a plan of regular exercise and have upended my diet by doing the 1st basic things (no 'white' carbs, no junk food, etc). I have no idea what to do and my Dr. was not very pushy about changing my lifestyle or warning me about what could be going on. I'm trying to find some information, but have no idea where to go for decent information on diet and lifestyle and future prognosis.

linda505

Hi Davepc,

welcome to the forum. A 130 fasting glucose is high for a non-diabetic in my opinion - were you on any meds at the time of the test? Did you doctor order an A1c test for you to take before he sees you next? If not - maybe call his office and ask him to do that before your appointment. That test will give you your average BG for the last three months and is a better tool to determine if you are diabetic. If you spend sometime reading here you will see that everyone is different on diet and exercise and medications. I was diagnosed on March 1st and what is working for me is a low carb medium fat and protein diet. I also walk about 2 1/2 miles 3 times a week and swim. Don't know if you are in the US - but if you are and you want to monitor your BG before you go see the doctor - go to Walmart they have an inexpensive monitor for about $9 and the strips for it are inexpensive also - you do not need a prescription for it - that way you can have some information about what you body is doing before the appointment.

davepc

Thanks for the reply! He did not order an A1c. I'm going to call and ask about that.

I bought the monitor and some strips. I read the book cover to cover twice and then took the test. I was surprised how the lancer didn't hurt. The reading came back 94. That's after not eating for 11 hours. I didn't sleep a wink overnight and took the test after walking 3-4 blocks back from where I got the monitor. I'm pretty sure I didn't contaminate the strip. (washed hands, dried thoroughly, didn't touch anything else immediately before taking the test.)

I guess this is why they want two tests to make an official diagnosis.

kniter1

I am super scared that I might have diabetes. I have so many symptoms...

Numbness /tingling in feet

Excessive thirst

Excessive fatigue

Blurry vision

Frequent infections (uti , yeast, stye)

Cuts that take forever to heal

My doctor also labled my growth to be half of the other kids

I am soon freaked out. What should I do...

:(

mohsin_zee

any body tell me after heavy break fast my BG level is 7 is it normal but once i check at night after meal after 1 hour i think it was 9.7 plz guide if any body have knowledge

BrightonBloke

When I 1st noticed that something wasn't right with me i was on holiday with mates in Rio, Brazil. It did certainly take the enjoyment out of my holiday somewhat. I was quite over weight and usually i can go out for the evening and drink loads sometimes not even going to pee till i get home. That changed and the need to urinate all the time was so bad i would be asking my friend who would be driving our rental car to pull over quickly to the side of the road. Few times i was only just in time. And i had the thirst that was incredible, something that didn't help was the fact that i didn't really like water on its own too much so i was taking empty 1 and 2 litre bottles round the corner from where we had rented a holiday flat to a shop that squeezed fresh oranges and getting him to fill my bottles(I have since realized there is a lot of sugar in OJ)I must have been that guys best customer for nearly a fortnight.

My grandmother had diabetes and so my mum was always telling me to be aware of this and often told me of the symptoms so i did realize that there was a good chance i had it. I just wasn't aware of any immediate dangers. And decided to get in touch with my GP when i got home.

Another symptom that I noticed at that time in Rio that i didn't see anybody else mention in a fast read through this thread was blisters, These blisters were appearing on my legs and groin and they were blood blisters and some of them were the size of my thumb. I never had them before that and have not had them since but figure they were in some way connected to the onset of diabetes, (try explaining those to your Brazilian girlfriend) anybody else experience anything like that?

When i got back to the UK i called my doctor surgery and told the receptionist i thought it was quite urgent and went down to see the doctor I think i did a urine test there and gave a blood sample. Anyway about 2 hours later my doctor was calling me and i was a bit frightened to hear in his voice concern and worry and that i should come down to see him straight away. He told me he was considering an ambulance so it must have been off the scale somewhat. So that's how i found out i had type 2 diabetes.

So don't leave it as i long as did go get checked right away!

(Luckily for us Diabetes sufferers in the UK once we are diagnosed with the condition we automatically get free medication. Though I am not sure how long this will last for as there was talk last year that diabetes could bankrupt the NHS in 20 years if it carries on like it is. With yearly costs expected to double next 25 years. One article is here if anyone is interested Massive rise in diabetes costs predicted - Health News - NHS Choices So if you live in the UK and think you may have it don't worry about being able to afford prescriptions for now anyway)

pat593

I thought I was just getting older and more out of shape - the lethargy some days before diagnosis was terrible, could barely get my legs to go up the stairs. I remember it was August and I would come in from work and drink pink lemonade like it was going out of style. And I never drink sugared drinks. And running to the bathroom constantly. I knew something wasn't right so asked for some blood work to be done at my annual ob/gyn checkup. My ob, who helped me thru a healthy gestational diabetic pregnancy 16 years earlier, was surprised. I know after I was diagnosed and before I started doing something about it I had every symptom on the list - textbook or power of suggestion -- and this actually helped me realize I am a diabetic, it is for life, and I have to change my lifestyle.

Sarah311

Hey there everyone!

I am just hoping for some information to clear up the confusion I have (which is a lot). My doctor sent me to get a fasting blood sugar because she voiced some concern about diabetes but didn't fill me in much. I have gotten the blood test and I am waiting on results and my nerves are running a bit high.

I am a twenty year old college student, I am 5'4" and my weight goes up and down anywhere between 120 and 100, for the past month or so I have been a little low at about 104. I am very active as a volunteer firefighter and a part-time EMT (another reason I would love to understand this more). I have been having stomach problems for the past few years and after a negative blood test for celiac's my doctor started mentioning diabetes. I am a little confused because I thought that type 1 diabetes had an onset in children? How is it possible that at 20 I my doctor is suddenly concerned about diabetes? If this blood test does turn up positive is it still possible for me to pursue my firefighting career or will diets and excercise schedules make that unlikely? I'm afraid I really don't know much about diabetes other than the worst possible situations that we get called to for medical emergencies and the information I have found online has only worked me up even more. I would really appreciate any information! Thanks so much!!!

jenb

Hi Sarah. I can't comment on how diabetes may impact a firefighting career, but I can say that you can develop T1 at any time. I was diagnosed a few weeks shy of my 53rd birthday in 2007. If your diagnosis ends up being any type of diabetes, just know that you will be the same great person you were before joining our little club. You'll be able to do just about everything you've always done; you'll just be adding some daily fingerstick tests, some dietary modifications (maybe) and (if you're a T1) insulin to your daily routine. Diabetes will just be a part of your life....it won't be your entire life. Take charge and manage it; don't let it manage you.

Best,

Jen

tom1989

I think if I drink 2 l of coke every day, eat five hamburgers, and don't exercise, I will soon have diabetes. That's crazy, but I really hard to change my life habit.

Daveysmomma

Hi.... I had a question because I received my bloodwork and am confused by it. My doctor is not saying for me to do anything, but I want to see if I should be? My hemoglobin A1C 5.8 and says this is high with an increased risk for diabetes. Does this mean that I am pre-diabetic? As a background, I have lost over 90 lbs and am only about 15 lbs. overweight at this time. I follow Dr. Furhman's eating plan, which is primarily fruit, veggies, beans, nuts and seeds, and a little meat and eggs. I do have blurry vision from time to time and urinate constantly, although I always have, and have had a great deal of joint pain the past year. My blood work, otherwise, was normal, except for being low in vitamin D and I now have to take a supplement. I really cannot do much more with my diet, other than cut down on a little fruit and try to increase exercise, but should I be worried? I did eat a lot of chocolate the week before this test, which was not usual for me, maybe 3 times a year at holiday time. Could that also have affected since I don't eat sugar often?

I appreciate anyone's help, my grandmother had diabetes and I don't want to figure this if I should be doing something.

Carrie

patricia52

I would consider it pre d. Be glad you are catching this early before it has time to damage your organs. I dont think the chocolate affected your A1C too much since it is an average of your Blood Sugar for the last 3 month. Why not just get a meter and start testing to see which foods are causing your BG to spike? Walmart has some cheap ReliOn meters and strips. This will help you to figure out which foods you need to avoid. Read over the older post here. There is a wealth of information to help you. BTW welcome to the forum. You have come to a wonderful place to get information, advice, and support and occasionally a little tough love.

profmani

Profmani78years Diabetic for 45 years

Diagonising Diabetes is very simple. Go in for Glucose Tolerence Test People aged above 30 years should undergo this test for confirming Diabetes

MalteseMom

I fought the idea that I might be diabetic for many years. My numbers were good & not good which made the denial easy. I'm preparing a journal now & went back to January 2012 (0ld records of sticks) & found consistent numbers about 240s to 297. I was concerned enough to test until numbers came down to 115-ish but not enough to change diet until I got a wake-up call 10/4/13 with BG of 305 after yet another high carb meal. Don't know why, but I was actually shocked at the amount of carbs I was eating without even thinking about it. Now finger sticks, LCHF, Jounaling to identify food patterns & calories. Need to balance need for high fat with calorie intake.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.