Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Think you might have diabetes?

golavi

Hi all,

Is it strange that I don't have any of these symptoms but still am type 2? I don't get sick but do get strong headaches off and on.

Thanks.

adiantum

Hello golavi, Can you share what symptoms you do have to have been d x with type2?

Ive not heard of headaches with  D but it can be such a personal disease .

Do you  have  a blood glucose meter & test your blood?

Please feel free to discuss your situation & maybe others can relate

NoraWI

T2 is an insidious condition and can take years to get to the point where it is noticed due to severe symptoms such as neuropathy. Some people get headaches at high blood glucose levels. How did you find out you were T2? What are you doing about it? Do you test? How often? Have you changed your diet? Exercise? Please tell us more about yourself.

golavi

Hi adiantum and NoraWI, thanks for commenting.

I have had my A1c tested a lot over the years and its always been up there from 11.5 to 8.7 at the last test in August 2014. It's coming down but very slowly. I have not had any luck with doctors either oer the last few years. Here in India, doctors just scribble off a list of meds and thats it. You're on your own! All drugs are sold over the counter here too. No insurance companies to dictate what meds one should take either. Maybe thats good...HA

The headaches have been the main problem so far. Other than that, nerve problems do run in my family. From time to time, I do get tingling in my left arm and carpal tunnel(after extensive tests by my doc), and B Vitamins for 2 weeks solves that for a few months. Also, cuts and bruises take longer to heal too. I read that on here and only then realized it.

I also have high cholesterol and that runs in my family. So, I have Type 2 and High Cholesterol with a little bit of Fatty Liver every now and then. I dont smoke, dont drink alcohol and dont exercise. I am not over weight, I look healthy. All my levels(blood sugar and cholesterol) just keep going up and then down and then up and then down again. I dont have very good control over them.

I have been eating well per the generic healthy eating plan, but I think I am not really sure if I am eating well for my personal health. I dont know what makes my blood sugar go high. I know generally, like carbs make it high, etc... But I dont know for sure which carbs, which type of food exactly. I have been reading a lot about Type 2 and Diet over the last few months. This forum has been a lot of help with lots of good information.

My Fasting BG Tests have been like 219 mg/DL, 192, 183, 166, 197 over the last few days.

After Breakfast: 242, 211, 237, 215.

After Lunch: 172, 184, 154, 171.

Before Dinner: 187, 184, 118, 120

After Dinner: 207, 180, 168,

I take 1 Glipizide tablet 5mg in the morning, 30 minutes before breakfast and 1 more 30 mnutes before dinner. I used to take Metformin years ago, but it started giving me cramps and my doc(the 1 good doc that I had) replaced it with Glipizide.

For my cholesterol, I take Lopid(Gemfibrozil 300mg) 30 minutes before dinner. This makes me bloated and terrible gas and diarrhea once a month. I hate taking this and sometimes skip it. For this I also have to take some gastric med like Famotidine 40mg to fix the gastric/heartburn side-effects.

Below is my typical day:

Wake up between 6am to 7am.

Breakfast before 8am:

2 or 3 slices whole wheat bread with butter and coffee(with milk and no sugar(mostly) or 1 teaspoon sugar)

Sometimes bread with jelly/jam or a cheese slice

A few Almonds, Cachews, Pistachios

2 eggs, 2 times a week boiled or omelet

Snack at 10am:

1 Apple

Lunch at 1230pm:

Whole Wheat Chapati(indian bread) or Brown rice or Pasta

Seasonal Vegetables or Lentils or Chick Peas or Kidney Beans

Fish once a week - increasing to 2 times a week soon.

Chicken Breast twice a week.

Tea and Snack around 3 or 4pm

Some Nuts with Cereal or Fruit

Iced Black Tea with Mint or Lemon Basil

Dinner at 630pm:

Whole Wheat Chapati(indian bread)

Seasonal Vegetables or Lentils or Chick Peas or Kidney Beans

Bedtime between 9 to 930pm.

I drink 2 to 3 liters of water daily.

I mostly sit 2 to 3 hours and stand 2 to 3 hours a day for work.

I keep thinking that I am doing all the right things(except exercising) and yet I cant manage to get my numbers down.

Also considering a LCHF diet plan.

Med Changes:

I am comtemplating WelChol as it is for Type 2 and Cholesterol, Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I read about "Terminalia arjuna" that is supposed to help Cholesterol. Does anyone have a personal experience with that?

Sorry if its a long post, I thought I get it all out there... LOL

princesslinda

The rice, pasta and breads will certainly cause you to have higher blood sugars.  Perhaps you could try having eggs, meat and/or cheese for your breakfast, without the bread and jam and see what difference it will make in your blood sugar.  Your diet is high in carbs, and minimizing these will likely make a big difference.  Perhaps you could focus more on non-starchy and green vegetables and meat, decreasing the amount of chapatti, rice, pasta and lentils until you find a level that gives you the blood sugar goals you're aiming for.   I know this will likely be difficult at first, since these foods are pretty much a part of most of your meals, but you will feel better with better blood sugars.

adiantum

golavi, your diet & fattyl liver reminds me of my own past.

I used to be a lacto/ovo vegetarian & ate lots of bread, beans,rice & pasta & had fatty liver.

It took me a while to accept the change to LCHF & Ive had good results ever since. No fatty liver anymore !!!

Can you try to cut out your breads,beans,lentils etc & the fruit & increase the meats,eggs &non starchy  vegetables, say for two weeks? 

Your BG should  fall below 120 just  2 hours after a meal. Be sure to wash your hands first so theres no food particles on that testing site.

I also believe your high cholesterol is due to your high carb diet . Exercise is important so try to get a good brisk walk each day to get that blood flowing freely .

I take no meds except for supplements of  VitB sometimes, VitD3 ,Glucosomine & Magnesium

Log in here at Df daily & you will feel inspired to follow the many hints & suggestions

golavi

The rice, pasta and breads will certainly cause you to have higher blood sugars.  Perhaps you could try having eggs, meat and/or cheese for your breakfast, without the bread and jam and see what difference it will make in your blood sugar.  Your diet is high in carbs, and minimizing these will likely make a big difference.  Perhaps you could focus more on non-starchy and green vegetables and meat, decreasing the amount of chapatti, rice, pasta and lentils until you find a level that gives you the blood sugar goals you're aiming for.   I know this will likely be difficult at first, since these foods are pretty much a part of most of your meals, but you will feel better with better blood sugars.

Thanks princesslinda.

I have cut out the rice, pasta, and breads and I do see a significant change. My fasting BG has come down to 137 and 122 over the last 2 days. I am still taking my medication(glipizide 5mg, morning and night). I plan on stopping my glipizide soon.

When you say try having eggs, do you mean having it every morning for breakfast? I would love that! But what about the cholesterol in egg yolks? And I have minor egg white allergies. Also, some studies show that eating some cholesterol is ok as it stops your body from producing more. I will reasarch it and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help.

golavi

golavi, your diet & fattyl liver reminds me of my own past.

I used to be a lacto/ovo vegetarian & ate lots of bread, beans,rice & pasta & had fatty liver.

It took me a while to accept the change to LCHF & Ive had good results ever since. No fatty liver anymore !!!

Can you try to cut out your breads,beans,lentils etc & the fruit & increase the meats,eggs &non starchy  vegetables, say for two weeks? 

Your BG should  fall below 120 just  2 hours after a meal. Be sure to wash your hands first so theres no food particles on that testing site.

I also believe your high cholesterol is due to your high carb diet . Exercise is important so try to get a good brisk walk each day to get that blood flowing freely .

I take no meds except for supplements of  VitB sometimes, VitD3 ,Glucosomine & Magnesium

Log in here at Df daily & you will feel inspired to follow the many hints & suggestions

Hi adiantum, nice to know someone has the same problems...LOL

I love breads, beans, rice and pasta. They are so difficult to let go of!

I am now on LCHF, and I see a big difference already. I was feeling kind of full for 2 days or so, but this morning I just woke up with lots of energy. I feel really great. CHicken is easy to get but it's not easy getting fish(or pork or unprocessed cheese) where I live in North India. So the last 3 years, we have been eating mostly vegetarian. Mostly get frozen fish. Winter is coming, so fresh fish will be easier to get. I wish I could get some Bacon!

My fasting levels have gone down to about 122 and 137. 2 hours after an LCHF meal, they are like 140, 129, 131. Nice numbers I think. a HUGE difference from 242!! Still on my Glipizide.

I am thinkng of getting of my meds but am not sure. Did you take meds at the start? How(or when) did you decide to stop your meds? Were you taking only diabetes meds or cholesterol too?

Thanks and pls keep the advice coming. I totally appreciate you and this community that teaches newbies like me a lot. Wish I had been here 3 years ago.

adiantum

Those carby foods are hard to give up & occasionally I will regress & have bread but doing this makes the cravings last longer.

You are doing well  in reducing your numbers so keep at it & soon they will be in a safe zone.

I hope you find foods in your region that satisfy you & keep your BG down. If you don't know the carb content of your choices, don't forget to google it.

I was diagnosed in December 2007 & this new doctor gave me 3 months to change my diet without meds just to see how I'd go.

I went online as soon as I arrived home & found this forum & accepted the suggestions of the members.

It worked...my A1c went form 11 to 6.5 within those 3 months.So, Ive never taken meds for the d

I don't go really low carb as I seem to cope well enough for me with about 85g carbs a day  my A1c stays below 6.4

If I was younger then I'd strive for a lower A1c

I used to take statins for cholesterol as so many doctors push them . The side effects are horrendous & these same doctors are of no support .

I cannot find a kind word for the manufacturers of statins .

Keep up the good work golavi & log into df daily..it really is the best place for information & support

golavi

Those carby foods are hard to give up & occasionally I will regress & have bread but doing this makes the cravings last longer.

You are doing well  in reducing your numbers so keep at it & soon they will be in a safe zone.

I hope you find foods in your region that satisfy you & keep your BG down. If you don't know the carb content of your choices, don't forget to google it.

I was diagnosed in December 2007 & this new doctor gave me 3 months to change my diet without meds just to see how I'd go.

I went online as soon as I arrived home & found this forum & accepted the suggestions of the members.

It worked...my A1c went form 11 to 6.5 within those 3 months.So, Ive never taken meds for the d

I don't go really low carb as I seem to cope well enough for me with about 85g carbs a day  my A1c stays below 6.4

If I was younger then I'd strive for a lower A1c

I used to take statins for cholesterol as so many doctors push them . The side effects are horrendous & these same doctors are of no support .

I cannot find a kind word for the manufacturers of statins .

Keep up the good work golavi & log into df daily..it really is the best place for information & support

Thank adiantum. Good words of encouragement. Appreciate it.

From my research, most people do not recommend very low carb diets as they miss out on certain nutrients in carby foods. So, I am reducing some carbs and adding more meat protein. I find that is a good balance for me.

Also, I am sticking to my meds until I get a better balance of my carbs and protein in my diet.

missgreenglass

First, thank you for this thread - reading about other people going through this is making it a bit less scary!

So, I'm beginning to think I might have type 1 - I'm drinking water like crazy, peeing a lot, am weirdly dizzy/foggy/tired/headache-y, and have had a couple temporary, mild vision changes (that an eye doctor chalked up to unexplained "inflammation".)

Anyhow, I have a few questions for the forum;

1) This might be asking for too much information, but what color is your pee? Because mine is still yellow even though I'm drinking 6-plus liters of water a day  :(. Is this normal (for someone with diabetes)? It always used to go clear when I drank a lot of water - this was one of the first things that made me think it wasn't just in my head, but none of the resources I've been looking at mention it.

2) Should I be avoiding simple carbs like the plague until I see a doctor?

3) How long does it take type 1 to develop? I don't think my symptoms are that bad compared to what some of the people on this forum have experienced, but they have all started in the past month. Does this mean it will get worse? (And yes, I'm going to see a doctor - not asking you to diagnose ;))

4) How do I talk to my husband about this without scaring him to death? He's noticed some of my symptoms - getting up multiple times to pee in the middle of the night, being tired, and the vision thing, but I've only begun to put this together in the past couple days, so I'm sure it hasn't crossed his mind. 

Thanks!

funkynassau

I have t2 but the 6 litres of water and the foggy head really concern me for you.  I can't imagine drinking that much water.  No wonder you pee so much.  I had the foggy head thing about a year ago and that is really scary.  I think you need to see a doctor right away.  I dont want to scare you but something is wrong and you need to find out what it is.

missgreenglass

I have t2 but the 6 litres of water and the foggy head really concern me for you.  I can't imagine drinking that much water.  No wonder you pee so much.  I had the foggy head thing about a year ago and that is really scary.  I think you need to see a doctor right away.  I dont want to scare you but something is wrong and you need to find out what it is.

okay, thanks for letting me know.

This is all kind of coming out of the blue for me (no history of serious heath problems) I guess maybe I don't really know what "severe" is...

anyhow, thanks.

Stl-T2

1) I vaguely remember thinking something like that (why is my pee still this dark) prior to being diagnosed.  I actually thought I had a bladder infection and that was why I was peeing so frequently.  It didn't seem like a huge volume, but I could barely control it.  I had been treated with prednisone a few months earlier and the peeing was so much worse then I didn't realize my new normal wasn't quite the same as my old normal. Anyway, no bladder infection, but she found ketones in my urine (definitely not eating low carb at that time) and suggested I should make a point of seeing my regular doc for a full physical and maybe get checked for diabetes. Took me almost a month to actually make that appt and sure enough...

2) pretty much, but it's not just simple carbs.  ALL carbs will affect your blood sugar.  Maybe as an intermediate step til you see the doc, shoot for 40-60g of carbs/meal. If you're right about being diabetic you'd probably want to lower the carbs further, but there are some arguments for not making too radical a change.

3) sorry, T2 here so I don't really know, but I have a vague idea it can be quick

4) Oh, that's tough one.  Hard to say without knowing him.  My diagnosis was a bit of a surprise to me and delivered over the phone by my doctor's nurse while I was at work.  When Hubs picked me up at the end of the day I just said something like "I need a minute before we leave.  I have some bad news.  The doc called this morning and I'm diabetic."  He's one of those guys that needs some time to process things, so not much more than that was said until later. He's been supportive in a remarkably non-interfering sort of way, though.

Stl-T2

One other thought, you don't need a prescription for a BG meter.  You can go get one now (you will need test strips that are compatible with the meter and a lancing device as well).  The Relion brand one at Wal-mart is recommended by many here because it is inexpensive.  I use a GE 100 which is also fairly cheap, but less commonly used/available.  

golavi

First, thank you for this thread - reading about other people going through this is making it a bit less scary!

So, I'm beginning to think I might have type 1 - I'm drinking water like crazy, peeing a lot, am weirdly dizzy/foggy/tired/headache-y, and have had a couple temporary, mild vision changes (that an eye doctor chalked up to unexplained "inflammation".)

Anyhow, I have a few questions for the forum;

1) This might be asking for too much information, but what color is your pee? Because mine is still yellow even though I'm drinking 6-plus liters of water a day  :(. Is this normal (for someone with diabetes)? It always used to go clear when I drank a lot of water - this was one of the first things that made me think it wasn't just in my head, but none of the resources I've been looking at mention it.

3) How long does it take type 1 to develop? I don't think my symptoms are that bad compared to what some of the people on this forum have experienced, but they have all started in the past month. Does this mean it will get worse? (And yes, I'm going to see a doctor - not asking you to diagnose ;))

4) How do I talk to my husband about this without scaring him to death? He's noticed some of my symptoms - getting up multiple times to pee in the middle of the night, being tired, and the vision thing, but I've only begun to put this together in the past couple days, so I'm sure it hasn't crossed his mind. 

Thanks!

Hi missgreenglass, welcome to the forum. Yes, this is a great resource and I like reading others thoughts as they give me good motivation.

My pee is always normal and I only drink about 3 liters of water daily.

I totally cut off carbs and then slowly introduced some back as I found out what was good for me with testing. The first step for me was to get a Glucometer and test myself. Below are some notes that I found helpful.

Suggested Levels:

Before meals — between 70 and 130 mg/dL OR 4 and 7 mmol/L

About two hours after meals — lower than 180 mg/dL OR 10 mmol/L

Before breakfast (Fasting at least eight hours) — between 90 and 130 mg/dL OR 5 and 7 mmol/L

When to test?

Before each meal

About 2 hours after a meal

Before a bedtime snack

In the middle of the night

Before physical activity, to see if you need a snack

During and after physical activity

If you think your blood sugar might be too high or too low, or falling

When you're sick or under stress

I am now at a point where I only test myself for:

Before Breakfast - fasting for at least 8 hours

Before Lunch

Before Dinner

After Dinner - i eat some carbs for dinner so I test to find out which carbs mostly raise my levels

Its not the end of the world, just test, take your meds, get exercise and EAT WELL. Eating well doesnt mean following a standard advertised diet. You have to find out what food works for you. I found that just cutting off some carbs has helped me tons. Good advice from people here in the forums helped me. Knowing what worked for others and then trying it out helped me.

Keep a diary of what you eat and how you tested before and after a meal or exercise will definitely help you too.

As far as tellig your husband, I dont think its the end of the world. He will understand for sure. It is a very managable problem and after soem time becomes second nature.

Good luck and visit often as there is a lot of wisdom in other's comments and replies here. A lot more than many doctors out there.

Aloha,

Lavi

DeusXM

1) This might be asking for too much information, but what color is your pee? Because mine is still yellow even though I'm drinking 6-plus liters of water a day   :(. Is this normal (for someone with diabetes)? It always used to go clear when I drank a lot of water - this was one of the first things that made me think it wasn't just in my head, but none of the resources I've been looking at mention it.

Depends. The more water you take in, the clearer it should be, but this isn't a hard and fast rule. Urine colour isn't necessarily relevant for diagnosis.

Honestly? If it's T1, it won't make a blind bit of difference. Cutting carbs for an undiagnosed T1 won't have any impact on your blood sugar because the sugar has literally no place to go except your urine. It's a bit like wondering whether or not a running tap will make a massive flood any worse. The real danger for an undiagnosed T1 isn't actually high blood sugar at all. It's diabetic ketoacedosis, which doesn't happen because of blood sugar levels, but because of insulin levels.

3) How long does it take type 1 to develop? I don't think my symptoms are that bad compared to what some of the people on this forum have experienced, but they have all started in the past month. Does this mean it will get worse? (And yes, I'm going to see a doctor - not asking you to diagnose  ;))

Pretty quickly and abruptly. The process of T1 developing is your body treating your insulin cells like an infection, so if you imagine it can take a week for your body to shake off a cold, you can also imagine that it doesn't take very long for your immune system to start making some serious dents into your insulin production capabilities. And your body really does need insulin and responds quite abruptly once it starts to not have enough. It's not an instant process but once it starts, it can become quite significant quite quickly - I lost about a third of my body weight over three months, but it does get exponentially more problematic. If you imagine the early stages of T1, you still have some insulin production because your immune system probably hasn't destroyed everything yet. But once it's gone, you are flying without a parachute. Also, I am trying my best not to scare you, but untreated T1 IS a medical emergency and is fatal if left untreated. The point at which it suddenly becomes extremely dangerous varies from person to person - some people can go for months before they hit a tipping point, others can find themselves in a coma in just weeks. That's why it is critical if you suspect you have T1 to see a doctor as soon as possible.

That depends entirely on the nature of your relationship, not the nature of your condition. Regardless, I would see a doctor ASAP and not put this off. You are obviously having symptoms of 'something' which could be minor, but could also be important. It might even better for you to see the doctor BEFORE you talk to your husband. What will be frightening will be the 'not knowing', rather than whether or not you have a health issue.

Good luck - I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed for you and in the nicest possible way, I hope we never have to see you again. But if we do, we're here for you every step of the way.

sharonsell

Hi Iam sharon sell I just joined I have type 2 diabetes but I have high sugar readings wondering how I can keep them down well I live in NJ Iam married my husband has diabetes too but his sugar reading are good I cant understand why

Hammer

Hi Sharon!  You might want to start a new thread in the Introductions and Announcements section, instead of using this old thread, but that's okay, we are all her to help you.

The thing to do to get control of your diabetes, is to eat a low carb/high fat diet.(LC/HF diet).  You need to avoid as many carbs as possible.  Myself, I try to eat less than 50 carbs a day, while others here eat less than 30 carbs a day, and others eat 100 carbs a day.  The way we do this is to avoid the high carb foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, all grains (no, whole grains are NOT good for you), avoid most fruits, like bananas that have high fructose content, and of course, avoid sweets.  There is a recipe section here in the forums that has many excellent low carb foods that you can make, so it's not like you can't eat anything, there are just ways to make low carb versions of the foods you like.  As for the fats, eat the good fats, like eat the skin on chicken, eat the fat on beef or pork, use heavy cream in your coffee or tea, use olive oil liberally.  The good fats won't hurt you, plus they will make you feel full.  A lot of the people here have lost a lot of weight when they switched to a LC/HF diet, myself included.(I've lost 75 pounds so far).

One other thing is exercise.  You should exercise at least every other day, because exercise lowers your glucose levels.  Just going for a 30 minutes walk is good.  You don't have to kill yourself in a gym every day, just exercise whenever you can....maybe take the stairs instead of the elevator....park a distance from work or the stores, and walk a little farther.  Exercise is your friend, so try to do whatever exercise you can, as often as you can.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, that's why this forum is here....so that we can all help each other.

meyery2k

Sharon - Welcome to the forums.  I can tell you from personal experience that you will get good advice here.  I followed Hammer's advice.  It took a while to adopt everything but from January to now I have gone from uncontrolled diabetes with an A1c of 7.5 to well controlled with and A1c of under 5.  I have lost 65 pounds.  Been healthier than I have been in years.

I hope you will decide to become a member of our community.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.