Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beleive

ask again,does any supplements work??

beleive

Hundreds of supplements on market that claim help with insulin resistance,carb blockers,and insulin inhancers?Has anybody here found anything that is diffently working????Thanks

kgm0612

I take Cinnamon capsules........two in the morning with breakfast and two with dinner. I can't really say if they improve BS because I'm usually in tight control.

Karen

duck

I have yet to see a reputable study that shows any of the supposed beneficial supplements to work well: cinnamon, gymena sylvestra (sp), bitter root, chromium. But, I have also never read a study that said any of this stuff, if taken as recommended, was dangerous, either. And trust me that I believe in the placebo effect! If you think it helps, if that helps your psyche, then what does it hurt?

princesslinda

I take 2 cinnamon tablets twice daily and 500 mcg of Chromium. I don't know if it helps, but it helps me to feel i'm being proactive in my control. My levels are usually good (unless i'm sick/stressed/or misbehave), so maybe the supplements are helping. As mentioned above, they don't seem to cause problems so why not give it a try.

rwmetcalf

I posted this today on your original thread.

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 4 months ago. I believe there are many natural compounds that help with diabetes. I have been very successful at bringing my BG levels down. I have combined diet, exercise, medication (metformin), vitamins, supplements. I can't tell you exactly what has worked for me, but a combination of all the above has worked well. I realize you are T1, but you have the same problem most T2s have, insulin resistance. Here are some of the things I have used:

cinnamon - I use regular baking cinnamon. You can buy capsules but they are expensive. I mix it in milk (bark doesn't dissolve), about one quarter to one half tsp, twice a day. Supposed to help with insulin sensitivity.

chromium picolinate - supposed to help with insulin sensitivity and with insulin production.

metformin (prescription) - helps with insulin sensitivity, helps keep the liver from dumping, helps prevent some glucose absorption from the intestines. Many T1s take this, not just T2s.

grapefruit or grapefruit juice - use with caution. It is supposed to help with keeping the spikes in BG down but should not be taken with certain medications like statins. Do research on side-effects with medication.

guava or guava juice - I have not used this, but it is supposed to help like grapefruit juice. I haven't used it because I can't find it without added sugar, though I haven't tried very hard. I do not know if the same cautions apply as with grapefruit.

vitamin B complex sublingual - don't think this helps BG levels, but since I started taking it my energy levels have gone way up. Supposedly the metformin will make you need more B12, but it might be worth a shot.

fish oil - the omega 3 oils are supposed to help with cholesterol, lower the bad, raise the good. Doesn't seem to help with insulin sensitivity but is otherwise helpful.

Here is a link to a LONG article that talks about all sorts of stuff that may help with diabetes and insulin resistance. Chances are something in my post or this article will help you. You will have to experiment around a bit and see. Use caution and do research before trying anything you are unfamiliar with.

Mineral Ingredients - Diabetes (See original post for link)

Do searches on acupuncture and diabetes for more information. Also do searches on grapefruit and diabetes, guava and diabetes, etc.

I have also found that a quick way to bring my BG levels down is a brisk mile walk around the block or neighborhood. I have seen my BG drop 36 points in 15-20 minutes by walking briskly.

I also like to go to http://www.mercola.com to look for general stuff on health and natural ways to improve your health.

Hope this helps and gives you places to begin looking.

Roger

rwmetcalf

You're welcome, MJM.

Here is the link to the LONG article I referenced in my last post. Don't know why I didn't just go get it again.

Mineral Ingredients - Diabetes

I also thought to add that it is my opinion that the best marker for diabetes detection is not BG but insulin. In other words, you can have normal BG and have high levels of insulin being produced. It is only after this that your BG goes up because your body can no longer produce enough insulin to put away the sugar you've eaten or produced. That is when the Dr. will say you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. If they looked for the amount of insulin in your blood instead of glucose they would catch it earlier. The reason I bring this up is because you can get a reading on how well you are doing with your insulin sensitivity by how much insulin is in your blood. Anything above 17 (I do not know the units) is considered diabetic. When diagnosed mine was 27. Three months later mine was 14. I am trying for 10 or less. I feel if I get there then I will be almost normal. This won't be much use for a T1 diabetic, but can be useful for a T2 not on insulin. A similar marker for a T1 would be how much insulin they have to use per amount of carbs ingested. If that number is decreasing, so is their sensitivity. Doctors won't normally check for insulin, but you can ask them to do so and they'll order the test like they do the BG or cholesterol they normally request. If you have friends or loved ones getting a physical, they should ask for this test too.

Roger

BobbyT

I take several supplements daily and have had good results so far. Did the supplements help? I dunno, but they make me think they did so I'll keep taking them

Fish oil

Flaxseed oil

ALA

Benfotiamine

Vit C

Centrum Silver

Cod liver oil

I was going to take chromium picolinate but after reading some studies decided against it in that form. Seems the chromium is good but the picolinate has been shown to cause some cell DNA mutations.

]

Dan Gato

Bobby, I also take some of the supplements you mentioned.

I always like to see good A1c's, Yours at 5 looks excellent. you're doing something right.

BobbyT

Thanks Dan.

I'm shooting for something in the 4's next time but I'm also adding some calories to try and add a few pounds of muscle so that may not be obtainable right now.

Hope they work well for you too.

duck

I was involved in a study during college assisting a graduate student assess chromium picolinate and it's effects on strength, mass and body fat. It was a double-blind study, so those of us assisting didn't know who got what. In any case, the CP didn't make any difference to the 30 participants as far as those measurables. I've taken it at various times in a fit of wanting to improve my control, and it didn't do a danged thing for me, either, as far as blood sugar control.

rwmetcalf

Anybody here ever try "Diamaxol"? Used to be called "Diabeticine." I haven't tried it. The makers make some fantastic claims so I am naturally skeptical, but a bit curious. If it is as good as advertised, I would think this site would be buzzing about it. Another reason for skepticism. So, anybody here tried it or know of someone who did? I am posting in this thread because the ingredients are all herbs (banaba, bitter melon, Cinnamon, Gymnema Sylvestre, huckleberry, chromium, zinc, biotin).

Roger

Harold
Anybody here ever try "Diamaxol"? Used to be called "Diabeticine." I haven't tried it. The makers make some fantastic claims so I am naturally skeptical, but a bit curious. If it is as good as advertised, I would think this site would be buzzing about it. Another reason for skepticism. So, anybody here tried it or know of someone who did? I am posting in this thread because the ingredients are all herbs (banaba, bitter melon, Cinnamon, Gymnema Sylvestre, huckleberry, chromium, zinc, biotin).

Roger

The reason they changed their name was because the Feds were coming down on them. There was a thread on this sometime back.

rwmetcalf

Thanks Harold. I should have searched the site first. I think I'm lazy today. :smile: Anyway, reading the previous threads was very informative. As with everything else about this stupid disease, herbs affect each of us differently. Some react better than others, some not at all. I think I may try taking some of the herbs listed in diamaxol seperately (a couple I've already tried) and see what happens. Can't be any more expensive than their product....

Roger

rwmetcalf

Ok, reading the aforementioned threads regarding diamaxol, I read about vinegar and it helping with BG control. I don't really care for the cinnamon I already take (doesn't dissolve, capsules are expensive) and I don't think I will care for the vinegar either, but I'm really curious if it will work for me. Anyway, here is a link to an article I read, the title of the article is "A Spoonful of Vinegar Helps the Sugar Go Down"

Diabetes In Control - A Spoonful of Vinegar Helps the Sugar Go Down

Here is a quote from another article on vinegar, "These data indicate that vinegar can significantly improve postprandial insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant subjects." I assume that vinegar would help T1 diabetics with insulin resistance, too, but the articles only mention T2 diabetics. Here is the other article:

Defeat Diabetes: Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity in Subjects Type 2 Diabetes

If it works I will gag, let you know and look for a better way to take it. If it doesn't, I'll quit gagging and let you know. :puke:

Roger

Harold
Thanks Harold. I should have searched the site first. I think I'm lazy today. :smile: Anyway, reading the previous threads was very informative. As with everything else about this stupid disease, herbs affect each of us differently. Some react better than others, some not at all. I think I may try taking some of the herbs listed in diamaxol seperately (a couple I've already tried) and see what happens. Can't be any more expensive than their product....

Roger

Think you will find this resource valuable; Herbs and Supplements

JasonJayhawk
I take 2 cinnamon tablets twice daily and 500 mcg of Chromium. I don't know if it helps, but it helps me to feel i'm being proactive in my control.

Egads! If you ever need to save money, most Americans in the USA get sufficient chromium through eating food. Yes, food.

Unfortunately, chromium picolinate causes chromosome damage in lab animal cells (I believe hamsters were used). I think this was an AIMS test. It was a study done in 2004; if you're really looking for the study, I will make a hard attempt at locating it, but only if you don't believe me. :whistling

I'm not suggesting you change your chromium intake, but in the USA, dietary guidelines have been lowered to 50 mcg to 200 mcg for an adult (with 35 mcg for males and 25 mcg for females being the recommended daily intake, which is done with basic food intake).

According to the FDA, anything other than trace amounts of chromium compounds should be regarded as highly toxic (except for the manufacturers of your product).

If you're taking chromium in the "chromium picolate" form, there is only one licensed distributor in California in the USA, which then licenses it to a couple (or maybe 3?) other companies. It's quite a money tree. And yes, they know about marketing. They go after the people who "want to feel proactive about their healthcare." They don't care because by time they get sued and the lawsuit enters a courtroom, they hope the customer is dead.

500 mcg, to me, may be doing more harm than good.

:whistling :whistling :whistling

(By the way, my A1c's have never been over 5.8% after my dx, and my magic trick to accomplish this is with 10+ tests per day, and up to 10 injections per day. I only take a Flintstones vitamin...)

JasonJayhawk

Roger

It's snake oil. The FDA wrote a cease letter a couple months ago and they still have yet to respond to it. It's more profitable to close business down and start it up again with a new name.

princesslinda

Jayhawk:

Thanks for all your great information. As a "newbie," I'm sure i'm often motivated by fear to try almost anything that "might" help make my life longer and of better quality. Sounds like you're doing great with your management. Thanks again for the info!

otep

Okay. It's been a while since since my last post. Happy new year everyone!!!

My Grandma is taking bitter melon supplements together with her medication. She seems fines. I am no doctor but if your interested you can take a look at this clinical studies of the bitter melon.

Advanced Search

Also will look into cinamon and mangustin. i dont know if i spelled it right. they say it also is good for diabetes and other stuff will have to look into that as well.

again, happy new year!!!

otep
The reason they changed their name was because the Feds were coming down on them. There was a thread on this sometime back.

The Feds was onto Diamaxol? But, yes I saw a bit of the news but it was the FDA. They are being told to change their website of their claims or something like that.

dewey7406

Since Diamaxol seems to have some bad ingredients in it - is there a pill that combines the best herbs in one pill instead of having to take a handfull of pills, and experimenting with them?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.