Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JediSkipdogg

Sleeping Drugs

JediSkipdogg

Ok, I'm finally going to admit/post about this.

I have a terrible time sleeping. This is mainly on nights I work. I can't seem to fall asleep till say 11:00 and sometimes even midnight. It may be because on nights I don't work I stay up till 1 am doing Internet work while it's much faster (generally downloading/uploading large files.)

The problem is on nights I work I have to get up at 5 am to be at work by 6:30. If I try to fall asleep at say 9, I just roll in bed for 2 hours. I have tried this numerous times and rolling in bed is more annoying than staying up till 11 and falling asleep instantly.

I was wondering if anyone on here is on any type of sleep aides. I've heard great things about I think Lunesta? I guess my main concern though is how would that affect the diabetes and waking for a low/high. Would the sleep drug keep me asleep then and basically make me hypo/hyper unaware while sleeping? Any advice on this?

camjen1

Jedi join the crowd!! I haven't slept good in weeks. I have been taking Tylenol Pm before bed and it helps alot but I still manage to wake up in the middle of the night.

My mother takes Ambien and she really likes it. It's not suppose to be addicting and I'm sure it has no affects on diabetes. I myself wouldn't take it if I was prone to night time lows. I'm actually thinking about asking my DR in my next up coming visit.

princesslinda

Have you tried Melatonin? It has worked for me on the few occasions I've had difficulty sleeping...i'm sure there's some side effects, as with everything.

Also, watch your caffeine intake in the evenings. As I get older, i'm finding if I have tea or soda in the late afternoon/evenings, I have difficulty sleeping.

Know a lot of people on Lunesta...they say it works well, but leaves a gross aftertaste in your mouth.

Don't know the effect of any of these on Blood sugar, esp in a T1 and waking up to check your levels. Melatonin has never affected my blood sugar, but i'm T2.

belyro

I've used dramamine in the past.....but I wouldn't say I "recommend" it. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be used for extended periods of time. (I just used it a day here and a day there.)

Also, I've cut ALL caffeine out of my diet (except for the occasional chocolate treat). Now I rarely have trouble sleeping.

kgm0612

Although my husband isn't diabetic, he takes Lunesta a couple times a week. He works third shift and many times, he'll work a double. He uses Lunesta when he is exhausted and needs to catch up on some sleep. His one complaint.........dry mouth!

I use an OTC sleep aid called Simply Sleep. I like to take it an hour before bed and find that I do sleep all night without waking. It doesn't raise my blood sugar at all. Also, Walmart has their own brand and it's much cheaper.

Good Luck, Jedi. Hope you can get some much needed sleep!

Karen

seltaeb

I take 1 or 2 Benadryl tablets. My Doctor said they make the perfect sleeping aid. They work for me. I had no luck with Ambien or Lunesta.:sleep:

notme

I try desperately not to use sleep aids. Doesn't always work. I have a TERRIBLE time sleeping most nights. My problem I think is my age. I am sure you are not menapausal Jedi, but I have the whole sleep issue associated with it. I hot flash, and stare at the television till 2:00-4:00 am sometimes. Melatonin is VERY helpful with sleep problems. The nice thing about Melatonin is there is no side effects. My father had a hard time sleeping when he was going through chemotherapy. He also has a seizure disorder and he asked his neurologist about using it. He was told it was fine to take and there was no side effects. Melatonin will not "put you to sleep", but it does turn off all the things you think about while you are trying to sleep. It is the natural hormone that your body produces to make you tired, so it is a great aid to reset your body clock. I use it when I travel. You won't wake up groggy and it won't give you a sleep aid hang-over the next day.

Give it a try Jedi. If it doesn't work, then you could move on to one of the new sleep aids like Lunesta.

Make sure you buy the one that is not "beef" based. I buy them at Target and they are very inexpensive.

dgrilli

I hate to say this but I also have Trouble sleeping. When I was a cop I got stuck mostly doing the Night Shift. Sleep all day Work all Night.

It's been more than 10 years since my medical retirement and still have that in my blood.

The real world operates 7am til 6pm in most cases.

If you do a poll I'm afraid you might find the sleeping disorder more prominent with diabetics than the rest of the population. (Just a Hunch)

Maybe we should do a poll here.

When I used Ambien for more than one night in row but less than 4 days in a row the problem seems to worsen.

Oh how retiring at 9;30pm and awaking at 6am everyday would do for my income. (Well Being)

This seems to be a personal war.

poper77

I have used Advil pm when I travel on business and can't sleep. I have found that it does not prevent me waking up for lows, because I got low a couple of times and still woke up. My only complaint is that I felt slightly groggy the next morning, but I think they all would leave you groggy..

xMenace

Have you experimented with exercise? Reading? Sex? Herbal teas? Changes in diet? There may be such effective remedies for you.:1eye:

JediSkipdogg

CUT THE CAFFEINE????? heck WILL FREEZE OVER FIRST. LOL

I'm sure that is part of the problem. Those 20 some ounces I have within an hour of going to bed. And heck, sometimes if I'm running low and wake in the middle of the night I'll eat and then drink some diet coke. Maybe I can switch to Diet Sprite before bed (I think that's caffeine free.)

Maybe I'll start with changing my drinking habit then go from there.

Have you experimented with exercise? Reading? Sex? Herbal teas? Changes in diet? There may be such effective remedies for you.:1eye:

Reading does nothing, actually, it does put me to sleep cause I hate it, but I can't stand it more than a few minutes cause of how much I dislike it. Excercise actually generally keeps me up longer, not sure why on that. I generally have to exercise 3-4 hours before sleeping. Teas, don't like the stuff. Change my diet? HAHAHA, I laugh at that. Sex....hmmmm....any single females here? :D LOL

I think I'll start with the drinks.

BriOnH

The problem with most sleep aids is they leave you with a "hung over", groggy type feeling when you wake up. I haven't tries Lunesta What I have tried is:

Benedryl

Tylonal PM

Nyquil

Xanax

Trazedone

Phenergan

Last three are by RX only. All of the above left me feeling like I wish I would have been up all night instead of taking them.

ladytaz

I've had insomnia for well over 20 years (gee thanks Dad!! - he's got it too) and it's a ROYAL PIA! I used to use Tylenol PM's but then when they found out how bad that was for your liver, I quit taking that, and then would sometimes use benedryl, and now I found some sleeptime stuff at Walgreens (and maybe at Walmart too?) It's a storebrand/generic or whatever, that's cheap and does the trick MOST of the time! Still some nights it doesn't work either :( Good luck finding something that works for ya Jedi!

condensr

I have a screwy body clock, so according to my body, 'bedtime' is 3am. If I go to bed then, no problems falling asleep and sleeping well. I don't fall asleep well, if at all, earlier than that.

So I've been trying out Ambien. Worked well at first, and no hangovers the next day (on the regular, NOT CR kind). If I was hypo in the middle of the night, I'd still wake up. I was worried about that too, though.

Eri's mom

I'm an insomniac...

I've tried ambien...stuff just makes me hyper.

Phenegran...used that stuff when I was a puker...helped, but not much...made me more uncomfortable.

Xanex...eh...leaves a metally taste in my mouth.

Tylenol PM...so so...

Nyquil...only works for 2-4 hours

I think I slept ok w/ demerol...ok, and dilauded, BUT, I was in the hospital...and I'm sure the fever helped the sleep...for about a week...but I don't suggest that!

Valium...heck, I was functioning on 50mgs at a time at one point(when I was less than 100lbs)...but EVENTUALLY, I'd be able to sleep a few hours.

Now I just make sure I run myself ragged...I still get up(I don't noramlly fall asleep until around 3 anyway)...and after 2-4 hours, I feel rested.

Not the greatest advice...but I've tried most of it.

I think THE best was quite a few drinks...vodka, with a few shots of bourbon...still up til about 3/4 am, but slept for 6 hours!

I think my body is just stubborn...although put in either "The Hunt for Red October" or "Dune" and I'm out(ok, same w/ "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"...lol) I HAVE seen those movies...but not all at once...lol.

Cyborg

Ambien works great! It helps you to fall asleep, but does not put you under so that you can't wake when you need to say, treat a hypo... I actually just got a script today for Ambien CR since the Ambien only seems to have about a 45 minute window where it works. The CR version supposedly works a little longer...

Keezheekoni

I have pretty bad insomnia. I think, though, that I may also have sleep apnea (at least a little anyway). The only thing that I have found that puts me to sleep is putting on the History Channel and lowering the volume so that I don't wake up my hubby. That channel or our local 24 hour news channel, since you really can only watch that for 30 minutes and then they repeat it for the next 4 hours... LOL

I've tried the new Tylenol Simply Sleep. It's basically Tylenol PM without the acetaminophen in it. That worked pretty well the first couple of times I tried it, but then it stopped. I used to live on melatonin while I was working because it would put me to sleep within 30 minutes of taking it and I wouldn't be groggy the next morning. Had to quit taking that when I got pregnant though, then I stopped working so I didn't use it anymore.

Lately, I've been on percocet for my spleen problem, and even that is only working to put me to sleep for a couple hours at a time. :(

I say, try the History Channel!

JediSkipdogg
I say, try the History Channel!

The problem with that is it helps put me to sleep but that's about it. So then I solve 50% of the problem, the falling asleep part. But then I still wake up every few hours and if the TV is on I will definitely wake up to that.

I do like the Vodka idea that Robin mentioned. Instead of a drink of Diet Coke before bed I'll drink 12 ounces of Vodka. If that doesn't know me out nothing will. LOL

Keezheekoni

If the TV still being on would bother you, do you not have a TV that will auto shut off if you set it? We do that in our little girls' room since they like to fall asleep to cartoons.

JediSkipdogg
If the TV still being on would bother you, do you not have a TV that will auto shut off if you set it? We do that in our little girls' room since they like to fall asleep to cartoons.

Yeah, but I would think that would still do what I do now.

Currently I sleep with the radio on. It helps me fall asleep but sometimes it actually wakes me up. It's a no win situation. The problem is I need the TV on to help me fall asleep. But then I need it off to sleep, but then I'll just randomly wake up in 2-4 hours anyways and then have to turn it back on. I'd like to also avoid that waking if I could as well.

Penny

I go to sleep with a fan running in the room. The only problem with that is sometimes it blows around dust, and I wake up with a stuffy nose. (I know, I should dust more often) Have you tried drinking caffiene free Diet Coke in the evenings?

whimper

I have had insomnia for a very long time. It started when i was first diagnosed...the doctors and my parents reminded me day and night about keeping my BG in control or else of the complications...especailly of going blind. It devistated me. Growing up i hated going to bed. No matter how tired i would be, i just wouldn't let myself sleep because i worry that i would wake up blind. Sadly, I do this to this day.

Anyways, my endo strongly recommends me not to take any sleeping pills. She's worried about me going low at night and not being able to wake up.

Has anyone had a low while taking sleeping pills at night?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.