Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

Anyone else?

am1977

I'm not sure if you are the only Pre-diabetic here, to be honest. I would suspect not...there is probably others here...maybe not active members but there could be lurkers here too. I am a type 1 myself.

rzrbks

Duh***Smacks Self on Forehead***

I thought that it said

"Pro-Diabetic"

I was Gonna say--------"NoT Hardly! I'm against it all the way."

:smartass: :hypocrite :whistling

gunner
Originally posted by lgvincent

Since there is no cure, I guess it's better to be a pre-diabetic than a post-diabetic.

AMEN!!

statdeac

Jenny, I think anyone who is diagnosed with pre-diabetes is lucky considering that most who are diabetic are not dignosed they have actually had diabetes for a while without even knowing it.

The sooner you can address the situation, the better in the long run in terms of minimizing complications, etc. :cool:

HeatherP

Hi Jenny, congrats on the new thread. I have a business associate who has been recently told he was pre-D. I've been meaning to call him and offer to help if possible. I was going to give him this addy anyway, but I will be sure to tell him now!

HeatherP

Jenny

Stat, I think you are right. It is good to catch the dfisease as early as possible! Heather that would be a great idea! Send him this way!

SunniD

I believe that Syndrome X is the proper term for Pre-Diabetic

and I'll leave it up to you to read more about that.

I think it means that one is still able to manage their treatment with diet and exercise without using any meds yet.

If a glucose tolerance is done, it is probably slightly abnormal.

One could be having a resistance developing in the insulin secreted from the islets cells so it is not acting up to par or one could be having too much insulin secreted when stimulated so lows happen frequently and it takes a shade longer to restore the glucose to a normal level. The latter is what happens to my dad and my son and both have never progressed to diabetes. Dad was born in 1924 so he's had that happening for awhile and it is possible to manage it. His A1C is 6.5 which is higher than mine <smile> but he still has never been classed as a diabetic.

SunniD

Jenny

Sunni, I am on medicine for my bg already. I don't know however if all with Pre-diabetes have syndrome x but some do. They say about 50 % develope full blown diabetes. But I will have to look up more info on Syndrome x because probably most diabetics or at least t2 probably are at a pre stage before the full blown develps.

mg_2204

... pre-diabetics can manage with diet and exercice? So am I a pre-diabetic then???!!? Sorry, never heard of the expression before. This is all new. When I was diagnosed, I was told I was diabetic. I do know I can't manage sugars. If I am not careful, BG hits the roof in no time and stays there forever.

I've read somewhere (probably BBC news) that diabetics T2 are reaching epidemic proportions. Maybe the 'cure' for T2 is education? I know I try to provide my kids with healthy food and I promote a healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercice. They are probably more at risk than others I guess as my mum was T2 too.

Marie

:)

Jenny

Marie,

Pre-diabetics don't have bg over 200, yet they have higer than normal bg. For example, I range from 60-174 at the highest. My doc told me that anything at anytime over 140 is not normal. It's like riding the fence in otherwords. Hope that helps

SunniD

Reviewed the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Physicians and the following criteria if used in the states as criteria for diagnosis

of diabetes:

1. Symptoms of diabetes and a casual plasma glucose of >200 mg/dl or 11.1 mmol/l. Casual is defined as any time of day without regard to time since last meal. The classic symptoms of diabetes include polyuria, polydipsia, and unexplained weight loss.

OR

2. FPG greater than or equal to 126 mg/dl or 7.0 mmol/l. Fasting is defined as no caloric intake for at least 8 hr.

OR

3. 2 hr PG greater than or equal to 200 mg/dl or 11.1 mmol/l during the OGTT. The test should be performed using a glucose load of 75 g anhydrous glucose.

Testing for type 2 in children

Criteria * Overwt. (BMI > 85th percentile for age and sex, wt.for height > 85th percentile, or wt. > 120% of ideal for height.

PLUS

Any two of the following risk factors:

Family history of type 2 diabetes in firs or second degree relative

Race /ethnicity (Native American, African American, Latino, Asian

American, Pacific islander)

Signs of insulin resistance or conditions associated with insulin resistance (acanthosis, nigricans, hypertension, dyslipidemia, or PCOS)

Age of iniation: age 10 years or at onset of puberty, if puberty occurs at a younger age

Frequency: every 2 yrs.

Test: FPG preferred.

Having a copy of the clinical guidelines for management of diabetes in states and in Canada has come in handy so can check out lots of things docs use to dx or not dx conditions in diabetes.

SunniD

mg_2204

... Ok, the info helps a lot! I was once a pre-diabetes then but no longuer. I've ridden the fence for many years. At the time I was not well informed and too stupid to seek more info about the matter. I guess I have no one to blame but myself for having developped diabetes in the long run.

Marie

Jenny

(((marie))) Now don't go blaming yourself! A lot of T2 has to do with genetics as well as lifestyle! I think a lot of T2 get blamed for the diabetes when it isn't their fault. Of course, weight loss helps, but I still don't think weight is the only issue involved!

Harold
I still don't think weight is the only issue involved!

No it's not the only issue. Genetics may cary the predisposition and overweight may bring it on at an earlier age. However with the predisposition age as well can be enough to bring it on. See

May other deseases bring on T2 at earlier age? My money is on yes.

mg_2204

... Lifestyle, genetics and all the crap we eat. Ever read all the labels on food? Seems we get too much salt, fat, sugar and preservatives.

But I still think it's my own fault. There are a lot of T2s in my family (none had weight issues), and I had diabetic pregnancies to warn me too. I just didn't think it could happen to -m-e-. I just didn't know enough about diabetes to realize it was a very serious matter. Docs didn't provide me with much info either but I should have been more inquisitive. My bad. Live and learn I guess?

I do have discussions with my kids and I promote a healthy lifestyle.

It's not what you know that can hurt you... it's what you don't know that can.

Marie

rzrbks

While I'm past the Pre-diabetic stage,

I thought I'd weigh in with my $.O2.

Genetics

Try fighting that if you want to, and you should , but get off your own backs if the fight goes against you. If you have a genetic predisposition to something, the best you can do is slow down it's movement. If you actually reverse it or change the outcome then that means you've got other Genetics helping you.

Example: All four of my Grandparents had heart trouble----all my protections were either "Very Good" or "Excellent"-did that save me----Nope. Massive CI at 42.

Diabetes-----Who knows why I got it----I was always very active, not over-weight, ate well {mostly--that is my Cardiologist made NO changes to my diet after the heart attack} and yet I got the Prize of Diabetes and MDI from the first day of DX.

Do what you can to protect yourselves BUT keep in mind that you can only do so much and the rest is up to how much Your body decides to go along with you.

soremom

I just popped in because I like reading all the threads. I learned alot though.

I was always taught that either you have diabetes or you don't. Especially appling to T2. Most of the drs in our area are GPs and don't treat the patients good enough for diabetes.

I never realized that there was a special criteria for pre-diabetes. I will now keep this in mind for my parents since T2 runs on both sides of the family. I am T1 as is my sister.

Just thought I would be my 2 cents in or the 2 cents that I learned here.

Kim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.