Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmasmommy

New here

Emmasmommy

Hi all im new here and just thought I would introduce myself. I have a 2 year old daughter Named Emma that was dx when she was 14 months old.......since then life has been fun getting the hang of things. Emma was started on insulin pump therapy when she was 16months old and what a blessing that has been. When Emma was dx she was in really bad shap the doctors wouldnt listen to me or believe that a child that young could be diabetic. By the time she was dx she was in bad DKA her sugar was 74 (1332) and she was not doing so well. To date emma has been doing great. I wish I had found something like this when she was first dx.

Anyway thats just a bit of my story

princesslinda

Welcome Shawna:

Wow..sounds like your plate is full!!! I know you'll find a lot of support and useful information on this forum...it has been invaluable to me. Look around, ask questions, someone will be able to help.

Again, welcome aboard!

wiseguy

Hello Emmasmommy,

I can certainly relate to your situation. Just about 33 years ago my daughter was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at the age of 9 months. She was very sick and the doctors said it was just the flu or some virus and sent us home. When we were unable to wake her from a nap we rushed her to the emergency room where they eventually figured out that she was in a diabetic coma with a BG level of over 1300. She remained in this coma for several days. As you might imagine, this scared the heck out of us.

Now back then there were no glucose meters available to the general public and we had to rely on urine test strips and frequent doctor visits. Of course there were no pumps then and the insulin was not as refined as it is today. We went through many insulin reactions and spent countless hours working on the best diet.

I am happy to say that at the age of 33 my daughter is very healthy and has two children of her own. She has no signs of diabetes complications. It's a terrible feeling to know that your child has to deal with this disease. On the other hand, learning to deal with it from such a young age is better than having to deal with it after developing bad eating habits.

I'm truly sorry that you and your daughter have to go through this but I'm sure that she will grow up to be a very healthy adult. Probably more healthy than most non-diabetics.

claysmum

Hello Shawna,

Wow, it surely does look like you have your hands full. I cant even imagine. Welcome to the board. My little guy Clayton has Type 1 dx when he was 4. He is now 6 1/2 pumping for only 2 months.

There is definatley lots of experience and info on this board. I will look forward to chatting with you more.

TTYL

MJM

Hi both to Shawna and Diamum,

You are both welcome to the forums. I'm sure you will get any answers you require here so don't be afraid to ask, no matter what the question is. It hasn't been easy for either of you, but particularly shawna. Hope you both enjoy the site.

md2mum

How did you know at such an early age? My sixteen year old was dx at 5 1/2 and now my 2 1/2 old boy twin, is showing the symptoms & has been tested but it's a negative.

notme

Welcome to the forums Shawna, I am glad you found us. I am sure that there will be lots of help and support for you and your family!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.