Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lozzyozzy

I think i have diabetes type 2

Lozzyozzy

I'm 14 years old n im a bit worried because i have all the sytoms for type 2 diabetes. i'm goin to have a blood test at the doctors in about 2 weeks but i can't w8 that long. My mum had diabetes when she was pregnant with me and i was a big baby, i've heard that that increases my chances....does ne1 have ne information or advice to put my mind at rest?

Thanks

Katjic

Hi Lozzy!

What symptoms do you have exactly?

If your blood sugar is high (i don't know is someone check it for you), and you are just 14 years old, I would say it would be type one, not type 2.

You should definitely check it with your doctor before you jump to any conclusions.

I hope its nothing, and I wish you luck with your tests.

Belinda

Welcome and I am with Kat, What are your symptoms?

frequent urination

sweet smelling breath

excessive thirst

fatique

are just some of the symptoms but there are more. Let us know more information if you can. I hope you don't have diabetes either, but gestational diabetes can increase the chances but not always. Good Luck

Lozzyozzy

hi thanx for your replies...my symtoms are:

frequent urination

excessive thirst and hunger

blurred vision

headaches

i've gained weight recently for no reason (which is why i think it's type 2)

my weight fluctuates from day to day which i found out means high blood sugar levels

a dietition also sed i am very close to being hyperglycemic

there are a few other symptoms but these's have all come on gradually so at the time i thought nothing of it.

Thanks!

statdeac

Lozzy, sounds like u have enough symptoms that something strange may be happening with you. While T1 is more common than T2 in teens, T2 seems to be more and more common in younger folks too these days.

Interesting about the sudden weight gain. Usuallly, carrying a lot of extra weight would put someone at a greater risker for getting T2, but it's actually unexplained "weight loss" that would be a symptom that someone actually has the disease.

Why don't you talk to your mum and have her schedule a doctors appt to get it checked out, then let us know what happens. Seeing your doc is the only way to know for sure.

Katjic

Ususaly, when you first get diabetes, you lose a lots of weight do to high blood sugars and not producing enough insulin to cover the food you eat…

Type two diabetes,on the other hand,is very common in obese people.So what Im saying, they don/t gain weight because of diabetes, they develop diabetes because they are already obese.

I also want to make clear that obesiti doesn't have to be a reason to develop diabetes...

Belinda

I agree with Stat...

Getting to the doctor is the only way to know for sure.

Keep us posted and good luck

Lozzyozzy

thanks u guys for the advice...i think i gained the weight because i didnt eat for awhile to try to loose weight (i've been battling with my wieght since i was 5 now) n i think when i started to eat again my body was in complete shock...i find it very hard tho to control my moods if i don't eat or have a "sugar hit". I have fainted often when goin only a few hours without food.

something's up with me whatever it is!

Thanks again!

am1977

I agree, definitely see you MD ASAP, It's not a good thing to wait on an issue like this. In the meantime, I would try to get a hold of a blood glucose monitor and check your levels periodically. I think the normal range is 70-110. It might be wise to keep track of that.

I hope that you don't have to deal with this dreadful disease, but even if you do, you can control it and please do stop by here let us know how you are doing.

Lozzyozzy

i bought one yesterday n testes it...it went from quite high to quite low in the space of 3 or 4 hours...i wasn't sure if that was normal or not? please could sum1 inform me?

Lozzyozzy

i got the Accu-check advantage and i was 7.0mmol/L the first time then within a couple of hours i was 4.3mmol/L is that normal?

DDR_Freak88

someone close to my age yay (although im not happy to hear bout your diabetes) and no thats not normal. When I got diabetes my symptoms were:

-bathroom every 10 mins

-drink way to much

-lazy (more then I already am)

go to the doctors and its easier to tell us what the number was like 120,453.20234982.

Harold

Lozzy, check about an hour after you eat and see what you get. The two values you gave are a little high and a little low but not much.

DDR just multiply Lozzy's numbers by 18 to convert to what you are used to.

Lozzyozzy

thank you! every1's been so great on here! you've really helped put my mind at rest...well for the mo anywayz!

Thanks sooooo much again!

DDR_Freak88

like I want to do the math... your welcome even though I didnt do much. You can im if you have any teen to teen stuff

Shalyndria

Hi Lozzy, and welcome to the Forums! Glad you found us, although I'm sorry to hear about your concerns.

First of all, I'm going to second the advice that everyone has already given you and tell you to wait and see your doctor. As frustrating as it may be, it is to your own benefit to be patient and let the experts do their jobs. But kudos to you for taking your health into your own hands and making inquiries about your concerns; it's easier to be proactive when one is as informed as possible :)

A few of the symptoms you describe can be excused by your age. Hormones are raging, puberty is either imminent or has already come about, and your body is in a state of chaos. Thus, you will gain weight for no reason, you may experience headaches (once again those raging hormones) and your weight will fluctuate like it's going out of style. Heck I'm far past puberty and my weight still fluctuates like crazy some times; alot of which is just water retention. Improper nutrition or dieting can also cause the symptoms you speak of.

4.3 mmol/L is about perfect, and 7mmol/L although a little high, is nothing to worry about. Your best bet is to let your doctor decide. But don't let fear paralyze you; no matter the outcome know that Diabetes is not an absolutely horrible disease and it can be managed.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out! :D

Shy

Lozzyozzy

thank you shy. can sum1 tell me if this is normal?

i measure my blood glucose the first night and it was 4.3

the night after i measured it again n it turned up to be 6.3?

is that normal? because i would have thought it would be the same at the same time of night?

lgvincent

Blood glucose is in a constant state of change. It is affected by all types of things, such as when you eat, what you eat, how much you eat, activity, and illness.

DDR_Freak88

lozzy let me help you outtt. for me 80-140 is good so 6.3 times 18= like 109 which is perfect. Like lgvincent said after you eat it might go higher so if your number is higher after you eat that is why.

zookeeper671

Hi Lozzy~ It's normal for blood glucose to constantly fluctuate, and the meter readings you've had have been in the normal range.

Angie

Harold

LOzzy

A common test routine for Type 2 is to test after waking up and 2 hours after meals. We are given ranges to shoot for at these times, and these ranges are close to or in the normal range. Also depending on what you eat, because not everyone will metabolize the same food in the same amount of time, the peak glucose will vary in time after a meal. So try checking one hour after a meal and see what you get.

See your wondering why your readings on two consecutive days were so different after not eating for 4 or 5 hours. Your body stores sugar in the liver and muscles and when you have not eaten for awhile and put demands on the muscles in puts in into the blood from storage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.