Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KritterMom

Tomorrow is my assimilation day.....

KritterMom

Okay, tomorrow is my big day. You'd think I was getting married the way I am feeling. I guess in a way I am because I'm becoming attached, very attached tomorrow.

I have Violet, the pump, in the box and she's ready to go. I also have in the box, the inserter, the quickset, the resevoir, the glucometer is ready. Am I missing anything?

I'm just about a nervous wreck! Can't wait!

:star:

JediSkipdogg

Just take everything they sent you in the mail.

You need AT LEAST....1 vial of insulin, the pump, batteries (if not already in the pump), an infusion set or three, an insulin cartridge or three, and a BG meter to test the blood before doing this fun. If you have IV Prep wipes that's good to as they like to make sure it's done properly with being clean.

Good luck though.

kgm0612

The day I met my pump trainer, I had everything with me except the damn insulin vial! I had to drive back home to get it. So make yourself a note......... Don't forget the INSULIN! LOL

Jedi listed everything you need. I'd take along some alcohol pads to wipe off the top of the insulin vial.

Good luck, Kimmy!

Karen

notme

I love this story.....tell it again KGM. What did you forget on the day of training???? Your insulin, you say????

Good luck Kimmy. Take everything and then some extra. You will love your new pump. Congratulations.

KritterMom

Actually, I use pens, so I don't have a vial of insulin. The pump trainer said that there are samples of vials in the endo's office, and that they will give me an rx tomorrow for more. I'm going to call though today just to make sure.:love:

duck

The surgery is easy...You'll only be under for an hour, but make sure someone comes with you so they can drive you home, just in case.

Just kidding. :smartass: Getting married is magnitudes more nerve-racking.

poodlebone

I forgot the insulin as well! I had 3 sets, the Serter, I had a battery already in the pump and my meter. I forgot the clip and IV Prep wipes, since I thought they were just alcohol swabs. My CDE went and got a vial of Novolog for me. I did have my Humalog pen in my bag but completely forgot about it. It was better using a vial anyway, to learn how to fill the reservoir properly. After the first 3 days I discarded the rest of the Novolog and went back to Humalog.

Oh, if you have any pens left over they make filling the Minimed reservoirs a breeze. One pen completely fills one 300u reservoir and NO AIR BUBBLES! I was sad when I used my last pen.

KritterMom

Wow, thanks Poodlebone, I figured that the pens served no purpose at all anymore, but after you pointed that out, I got it, lol. There is so much to think about.

Funnygrl

When I went for my saline trial I was using Lantus and R at the time. I didn't want to buy more R because I knew when I started my pump I was switching to an analog. I had very, very little R left (like 20 units). I held it up to show my educator, "This is how much fasting acting insulin I have left." She gave me a bottle of novolog.

w5wjp

On my pump day, I had everything they sent me. Of course they didn't send a vial of insulin so I forgot that. Got a freebie from the doc.

KritterMom

I called the dr.'s office and they have Humalog, so I'm set. It didn't even dawn on me that , duh, I need insulin too. But I'm set. I need a huge box to put all this stuff in, because mine came in 2 different boxes.

andypoo
Okay, tomorrow is my big day. You'd think I was getting married the way I am feeling. I guess in a way I am because I'm becoming attached, very attached tomorrow.

I have Violet, the pump, in the box and she's ready to go. I also have in the box, the inserter, the quickset, the resevoir, the glucometer is ready. Am I missing anything?

I'm just about a nervous wreck! Can't wait!

:star:

something borrowed,something blue....................the rings? Ha!ha!

JJeenn
Actually, I use pens, so I don't have a vial of insulin. The pump trainer said that there are samples of vials in the endo's office, and that they will give me an rx tomorrow for more. I'm going to call though today just to make sure.:love:

When I started (has it been over a week already?) I brought the pump, a few infusion sets, some cartridges, my meter and test strips, and insulin. I already had a battery and an empty cartridge in the pump so didn't have to remember the batteries. I use Humalog pens so bought a penfill of Humalog, and the pump nurse said that would be fine. It actually helps with bubbles apparently, as I've had few probelms with them. She said buying vials might be cheaper in the long run, but I can keep buying penfills if I want (which I'll probablly end up doing).

Good luck! You'll love it!

kgm0612
I love this story.....tell it again KGM. What did you forget on the day of training???? Your insulin, you say????

Ahhh........Nancy my friend..........I LOVE you so! (((HUG)))

Glad to read I wasn't the only fool who forgot their insulin on the first day of pumping!

Karen

KritterMom

But, if you use pens, don't you need a vial to transfer the insulin in to to use it on the pump? Am I making sense?

valc3

Kimmy, I was assimilated yesterday. Luckily I remembered all the necessary items for pumping. Had a good night and 24 hrs later, it's all good. I'm much more relaxed today. Good luck.

JJeenn
But, if you use pens, don't you need a vial to transfer the insulin in to to use it on the pump? Am I making sense?

I just take the penfills out of the pens and use them like vials. They just hold less insulin (300 units instead of 1,000).

MinimedPumper07

wait hold on did you say you can take the vial out of a humalog pen and put it in a pump? wtf is that really true?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.