Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mg_2204

ACE inhibitors - I've chicked out

mg_2204

I was prescribed ACE inhibitors by my new doc. He didn't do a physical. He wants to wait until the blood work is done.

I've read the whole leaflet and... it says it's to treat high blood pressure. I've been monitoring my BP and it's not high. So I've chicked out. I won't take them. After vacuuming the whole house and doing the bathrooms my BP was 123/75. So imagine when I rest for 15 minutes before I take my BP again!!!!

Don't know if I'm doing the right thing though.

Feedback please? Thank you very much!

Signe : Marie-the-Chicken

mkp1151

A question and a comment. QUESTION: Which ACE inhibitor did your doc prescribe? COMMENT: I used an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril) for several years, with good results for my high blood pressure, until I developed the dry cough that sometimes is a side effect of the drug. I've never heard of an ACE inhibitor being prescribed for anything else but high blood pressure.

mkp1151

jenet

ACE inhibitors are often prescribed for people with diabetes and normal BP as a preventative measure to preserve kidney function. I have normal/low BP even without an ACE inhibitor, but I take a minimal dose of lisinipril to try and protect my kidneys as recommended by my endo and CDE. YMMV

cheers,

j

mkp1151

Hmmmm... interesting. I knew that Hyzaar/Cozaar (my current high blood pressure medicine, an angiotensin receptor blocker) helps protect against kidney damage for T2's, (and presumably T1/1.5's) but I didn't know that was also true of ACE inhibitors. You live and learn!!

tanyatype1

Hi there! I take an Ace Inhibitor too (Altace) and I also normally have slightly low bp. My dose is very small compared to some I hear, but my bp is perfect - hasn't gone too low. I was nervous about this when I first started taking them. I've heard that these were first prescribed for lowering blood pressure and they found out by accident that they protect kidney function in diabetics.

Penny

My husband did not want to take the Lopressar that his doctor prescribed after his heart surgery. He always had low Bp, and didn't see the need for it. His cardiologist told him that studies show that men who have had bypass surgery do better and especially long term (like 10 years later) when they take BP medicine. I also have been taking it since I had a heart attack almost 9 years ago, even though I always had low blood pressure. I was told it was because I have Diabetes.

BriOnH
It's C O V E R S Y L and it's 4 mg.

I've taken my first dose. I'll see what happens. I just hate new meds...

I read ya. I don't either. Remember that it is your choice. Here are some threads on it. One is started by you.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/other-medications/15584-ace-inhibitors.html?highlight=inhibitors

http://www.diabetesforums.com/type-2/12233-what-your-opinion-ace.html?highlight=inhibitors

http://www.diabetesforums.com/type-1/15889-ace-ihnibitors.html?highlight=inhibitors

BriOnH
Hidden
It's C O V E R S Y L and it's 4 mg.

I've taken my first dose. I'll see what happens. I just hate new meds...

I read ya. I don't either. Remember that it is your choice. Here are some threads on it.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/other-medications/15584-ace-inhibitors.html?highlight=inhibitors

http://www.diabetesforums.com/type-2/12233-what-your-opinion-ace.html?highlight=inhibitors

http://www.diabetesforums.com/type-1/15889-ace-ihnibitors.html?highlight=inhibitors

Penny
108/71 - I've never had BP that low. I'm dizzy. I walk as if I'm drunk!

What would be considered too low for BP?

Generally, my BP runs 100 to 110 over 65 to 75, but has been 90/55, then I was dizzy. It is always higher when I go to the doctor, but still much lower than normal. My heart doctor said BP cannot be too low. My husband's doctor was really concerned about my low daily numbers. He wants Hubby to be under 140, and said the lower number doesn't matter much. :hmmmm2:

tanyatype1

If you're feeling dizzy, tell your doctor and maybe get the daily dosage lowered. Or the dizziness could go away once your body adjusts to having lower bp. I think my last bp test I was about 112/72 ?

Mister Q

I am not sure what is considered too low, but when I was put onto BP meds for the first few days I got the dizzy/drunk combo, once my body adjusted it was fine.

I switched from beta blockers to ACE (Ramapril) last year and have had no adverse side effects so far.

BriOnH

Those side effects are not acceptable. Talk to your dr asap.

xMenace

You weren't hypo?

I'm on altace 2.5mg, and I too have always had great BPs.

Seems many have strong opinions against these things, and many more of us who have no opinion and blindly trust our medical advisors.

jenet
You weren't hypo?

I'm on altace 2.5mg, and I too have always had great BPs.

Seems many have strong opinions against these things, and many more of us who have no opinion and blindly trust our medical advisors.

And perhaps a few that value their medical advisors, but also have looked into it on the web and decided it was the right choice for them, as in "trust but verify"? ;)

One of my fears is loss of kidney funtion (just behind loss of sight), and I felt the articles I read provided good reasons to accept my endo's advice. Sometimes I give the short, direct answer to a specific question, i.e. my resting BP is low/normal (98/62) and I take them for kidney protection, without providing the complete history and rationale of my choice. :)

cheers,

j

June91

I have extremely low blood pressure, and after much arguing with my GP, I refused to take Tritace. My BP is, on average, 95-98/60-70 and whatever good ACE inhibitors did to my arteries, I have a serious problem with something that would make my BP go DOWN from 95!

KickStart101

:hello: No Marie, I've never been on an ACE Inhibitor(or statins).

Your not a chicken when it comes to that decision. I hate

taking drugs also. I don't feel they are right for me at this

point in time. I'm on enough drugs that I have to be

on.

My hgl went up another point to 2.22 and my lgl fell 2 points

down to 2.6 . Not much difference but no extra drugs either.

My bp is normally between 114/74 - 132/85. Last week

when I went for my results, my bp was 124/82. My lowest

was 94/62. That's when I was on gold shots and I was not in

good shape because of the RA.

Oh and the tests said my kidneys seem to be doing okay also(kow).

I'm not for or against ACE Inhibitors(and statins). They have

their place. As said, it's up to you as an individual to take

whatever meds. that you think will benefit you with hopefully

as little consequence as possible. It's your body and only you

know it. Reasearching info and asking others is Good also.

(No, I didn't make it to Winterlude yet. I hope to though. Great

Fun. Talk to ya soon ;) ).

KickStart101

My hgl went up another point to 2.22 and my lgl fell 2 points

down to 2.6 . Not much difference but no extra drugs either.

Yes, of course I meant HDL and LDL instead

of gl(glucose levels). :)

mg_2204
My bp is normally between 114/74 - 132/85.

My numbers are about the same and yet he has prescribed ACE inhibitors. But my BP used to be much higher, let's say a year or two ago. I don't know why it has gone down really.

I'm doing well and although at times I feel light headed (dizzy the first day!) BP is not going very low. Lowest was 108/71 but for someone who, at one point in her life, has seen BP of 192/98... it IS low.

princesslinda

I eas put on ace-inhibitors for BP control about 4 yrs before being diagnosed with diabetes. The doc said with my family history of diabetes, ace-inhibitors were a good choice to protect my kidneys. I've not had any trouble after the initial couple of weeks when I had a mild cough (common side effect). I take mine at bedtime, so if I have side-effects, guess I sleep through them. I'm on Enalapril 20 mg at bedtime.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.