Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

josh's-dad

Toddler pumpers

josh's-dad

My son was diagnosed with type 1 just after his second birthday. He is now almost three and has just recently gone on to a pump.

I'm interested to hear from other parents who have had children diagnosed around the same age and went on to go onto a pump.

Diabetes at this age is an immense challenge at the best of times. I'd greatful to hear from other parents who have surpassed this stage.

samsmom

My son was dx when he was 15 mo old. He is now 5 yrs old and doing great. He is on a cozmo pump. I know first hand that dealing with a toddler with diabetes is just exhausting. The rules that apply to older children and adults just dont always apply to the little ones. How is your son doing??

shannon

josh's-dad

We've been on a Cozmo pump since mid December. At first we had a lot of trouble keeping his BG's in order. However things are slowing improving.

To make matters worse we have just gone through a vomiting bug stage which provided us with a real challenge. Although being on the pump meant we didn't have to do another hospital stay!

I was surprised to see how sensitive he was to insulin when he is sick. At the least this time we didn't have to deal with the glucagon pen...

One of the main frustrations we have at the moment is that his diet is prodominately based on medium to high carbs (eg bread, crackers etc). And the fact that they constantly snack at this age has meant it has been difficult to get the basal, correction and bolus rates right.

Are our experiences typical of this age?

samsmom

That sounds like a typical three yr old to me!!! When my son is sick and for about a week after, he is very sensitive to insulin. We recently went through a stomach bug and we had to "turn him down" to 25% basal and no bolus for an entire week!! very common......

shannon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.