Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

About infusions sets...

Dewey

Blue-eyed-devil brought it to my attention that we had a thread for pumps, but not one that focused specifically on infusion sets.

Following are some examples of infusion sets. Feel free to post or share about sets you've tried, ones you're interested in and ones that haven't been released yet (if you happen to have "insider info." ;)).

Below are some of the sets I've used over the years (Some sets are shown with Luer lock standard connection, except the last picture, which depicts the difference between it & the proprietary connection)...

Disetronic (now Accu-chek) Rapid-Ds:

Rapid-D.jpg

MM Polyfin Bent Needle:

MMT-306-307_L.jpg

Cleo infusion sets (Smiths Medical):

home_cleo_set.jpg

MM Quick-Sets:

MMT-390-391-392-393_L.jpg

Animas/Unomedical Insets:

inset-close200.jpg

MM Sof-Sets:

sofset-uq-introneed200.jpg

Silhouettes/Tenders, etc (Not a big fan...in fact, can't stand this set, regardless of who makes them!):

SilTender.jpg?t=1185295736

For those curious about cannulas vs. needle sets, here's an image of both, side by side:

infusionsetneedle.jpg?t=1170741458

Lastly, here's the difference between a "Luer Lock" and "Proprietary" connection:

infusionsetdiff.jpg?t=1170741378

Here is a helpful website on infusion sets:

childrenwithdiabetes - infusion sets

Hope these help, and feel free to ask questions or add more pics!

poodlebone

I have a Paradigm pump so all of the sets I've used have been Minimed's with the proprietary connection.

Started with Quick-Sets. Worked great for the first few months and then I started getting one bent cannula after another. I tried with and without the Serter. I tried inserting sitting down, and standing up, Nothing worked.

At the same time I was using Quick-Sets I also got some Sof-Sets. They go straight in like the Quick-Sets but don't have any built-in adhesive, so they needed to be taped down with IV3000, Tegaderm etc. The sets came with two pieces of tape with holes cut out in the middle to fit over the hub. I liked that the set was very flat, which was possible because the tubing doesn't connect right at the site. Instead, it disconnects along the tubing, about 4" away from the site. I had fewer problems with these than with Quick-Sets, but having to tape them down was very annoying.

I then switched to the Silhouettes, which scared the heck out of me when I first saw them. Even scarier was the Serter device. I dreaded every site change, especially when my Serter jammed. One day I got brave and did it manually, and it was horrible. Went back to the Serter, then got brave again. After the second manual insertion I forgot all about the Serter.

While using the Sils I also tried the Sure-Ts, the ones with the tiny metal cannula. I liked the idea of them more than I actually liked using them. I didn't care for the two adhesive pads. The site was very flat, flatter than the Sof-Set, because the connection/hub is separate, connected to the cannula by a short length of tubing. So you have the cannula stuck down, then the tubing, then another adhesive pad with the connector. I liked that it was the same connector as the Silhouettes, which meant I could switch between the sets without changing my tubing. I like that when I put the set in and it hurt, I could peel it up and stick it somewhere else (since it's metal), but I also had to tape it down after moving it because the built-in adhesive no longer stuck.

Now I use the shorter, 13mm Silhouettes. They work great for me, no kinks, and in over a year of using Sils I've had only two sets that I had to remove due to problems and one of those was because I inserted it in a really bad area. I find them to be extremely comfortable and insertion really isn't a big deal, especially with the shorter cannula. I love that I can use my upper abdomen, where there isn't as much fat as other areas. Even before I lost weight and had a lot more padding up there, the 90° sets hurt too much to insert above my waist.

w5wjp

When I got my pump, I wasn't too sure which set to get. So after consulting people on here, I got half Cleo's and half QuickSet's.

With the Cleo's, no pain at all on insertion, no discomfort at all while in and no gushers when removing (I know, you only get gushers when you nick a vein).

QuickSets, painful insertions with inserter and by hand, some discomfort while in, kinked cannulas, two "bad" sites (no delivery for no apparent reason), gusher, one came off in the shower, two fouled in the inserter, etc., etc., etc. Name something that can go wrong with a set and I have had it happen with the QuickSets.

Next order will be all Cleo's.

poodlebone

QuickSets, painful insertions with inserter and by hand, some discomfort while in, kinked cannulas, two "bad" sites (no delivery for no apparent reason), gusher, one came off in the shower, two fouled in the inserter, etc., etc., etc. Name something that can go wrong with a set and I have had it happen with the QuickSets.

And that's why I hate Quick-Sets! I've had all of the same problems. I've even had some where the cannula didn't even get under my skin - no idea how that's even possible, but when I pulled it off (after sky high BGs) the cannula was laying flat on top of my skin, stuck to the adhesive pad.

Alnan

I haven't checked into the site for a couple of weeks, seems everything has come up lately. Our midwest weather in full bloom - or fury - however you wish to describe it. And too many other things to mention.

But this topic is one Nancy and I are facing now. Nancy recently changed from the sof-set to the silhouette just prior to replacing the 508 with a 715.

We tried the sil-serter one or two times and found it to be clumsy, did the manual for a short time as we were also coping with the new pump. Then thought we'd try the serter again. Coming up with too many bent needles so went back to manual again till we have time to find the cause or cure. Have to carefully read the other posts for some ideas. Thanks.

As to our weather, I was speaking to a lady on the phone a couple of days ago - mentioned our weather - when she informed me she lives in Buffalo. After that, I just shut up and listened. :o

Lilly164

My next order will be all Silouettes. The quick-sets are only OK at best, sometimes they hurt, they are difficult to put in and the metal insertion needle has come out early a couple of times. A couple or three times the 6mm cannula at a 90 degree angle has gone all the way through my adipose tissue. Of course, then I have to start over, after the ol" Bg goes high.

The Silouettes give more control with angling the guide needle into soft tissue. They seem more comfortable and I like the 13mm catheter length. It feels like it won't come out inadvertently.

Lilly

T1Pumper

I have used the sof-sets and they were fine but I really like the inset that I used. I like that there wasn't any extra tape involved! It was an all in one with insertion and it had a cap to cover over the needle portion. Which was safer with my children around. I want to try the cleos but haven't gotten around to getting any of them.

Alnan
I have a Paradigm pump so all of the sets I've used have been Minimed's with the proprietary connection.

I then switched to the Silhouettes, which scared the heck out of me when I first saw them. Even scarier was the Serter device. I dreaded every site change, especially when my Serter jammed. One day I got brave and did it manually, and it was horrible. Went back to the Serter, then got brave again. After the second manual insertion I forgot all about the Serter.

The silhouettes are kind of intimidating aren't they? After all these needles and infusion sets, both before and after the pumps, Nancy still flinches when she gets ready to do a site change.

But they work. Nancy is using areas of her body now that were just about totally unreliable before.

At 1st the serter was too clumsy, then she used it - then went manual again - then the serter, and after too many bent needles is going manual. It doesn't look like you have the control you need with the serter. The finesse.

Moonlitknight

OK here is the thread I am looking for as no one answered my thread on the infamous Sil-Serter.

I have only ever used silhouettes , and the 17mm ones at that.

Could I get away with a shorter one??

I have tried the sil-serter 3 times now ( see original post )

First time worked amazing, so I thought I was hooked.

Then the second time, I bent the crap out of it 2 times in a row, so inserted manually. Next time around I increased the angle and it worked fine.

I must say that I like it as it gets the job done fast.

Alnan
OK here is the thread I am looking for as no one answered my thread on the infamous Sil-Serter.

I have only ever used silhouettes , and the 17mm ones at that.

Could I get away with a shorter one??

I have tried the sil-serter 3 times now ( see original post )

First time worked amazing, so I thought I was hooked.

Then the second time, I bent the crap out of it 2 times in a row, so inserted manually. Next time around I increased the angle and it worked fine.

I must say that I like it as it gets the job done fast.

May I ask how long you've been diabetic? My wife has been for well over 30 years, overused the stomach until the last year or two before going on the silhouette - scar tissue had built up to where it was largely unusable.

And that is what MM says is her problem with the serter. Scar tissue. She seems to be able to finesse the insertion manually better than we can do with the serter. And we were told that about 35 degrees was the correct angle? Is that wrong?

In speaking to the MM help line, most staff can answer a specific help question, but as to a general question such as - is it us, or do others have a problem with the serter? With some staff that type of question draws a blank.

The woman I spoke to recently said without being overexplicit that a fair amount of people have that same problem. She said if you experience problems - do not use it. If you like working for MM you probably can't say something they sell can cause problems.

Nancy liked the quick insertion, but until we can use it without bent needles and a more noticeable red spot after 3 days she won't use it.

If we learn something different to try - we will.

Moonlitknight

Hi Alnan

I have been pumping for a year, and diabetic type 1 for 40 years. On mdi's I never used my stomach, ever, I just did not like it. I basically abused my arms for 39 years.

So when I started pumping, I was happy to have a virgin stomach.

I find the serter will be usefull, if I get it to work well, and I think you just need to play around with the angle.

30 to 35 % sounds about right. Manually I would say that I go around 25% and maybe thats why I had a problem with the serter. The last time I increased the angle to about 35 % and it worked great. Will try it again tonight

jentoe_22

I just ordered my first insulin pump ever. Its a paradigm 722. The woman on the phone at Liberty Medical really did not make it seem like I had any options when it comes to sets. I am almost positive I am getting the quicksets. She also said something about a quickserter. I am a little intimidated now about bending a set. Does that happen with the minimed quicksets often?

Alnan

Hi Jentoe. My wife has never used the quickset, but looked them up, and it's a 90 degree insertion angle. The serter should work fine. She never bent a needle as far as we can remember when she used the sof set and the serter.

The problem seems to come from a combination of scar tissue, overusing areas of the body, and the angle the silhouette is inserted at.

jentoe_22
Hi Jentoe. My wife has never used the quickset, but looked them up, and it's a 90 degree insertion angle. The serter should work fine. She never bent a needle as far as we can remember when she used the sof set and the serter.

The problem seems to come from a combination of scar tissue, overusing areas of the body, and the angle the silhouette is inserted at.

Thank You!! I was wondering what the deal was. I have been taking injections for almost 20 years, and do have some scar tissue,but not really on my tummy, so I hope it will work out fine. Thank so much for the info. Its very helpful to have a pleace I can ask these questions. :D

Dewey
I just ordered my first insulin pump ever. Its a paradigm 722. The woman on the phone at Liberty Medical really did not make it seem like I had any options when it comes to sets. I am almost positive I am getting the quicksets. She also said something about a quickserter. I am a little intimidated now about bending a set. Does that happen with the minimed quicksets often?

Hi Jentoe, and welcome aboard! :shakehand

The Quick-sets should be alright. In the past, they've had some issues (with the Quick-sets Plus) dislodging or bending, but they've removed those from the market. While bending can still occur with the Quick-sets, it's not as common and users just need to keep a good check on sugar levels after inserting any type of set so that they'll know whether the set is properly working or not.

While I'm personally not a fan of Quick-sets, others are able to use them without trouble. For my body type, they just don't seem to work as well. I think you'll do fine with them, though. Please keep us posted on your new pump & how things are working out for you! Hope this helps, and again, glad you're with us! :)

someone

I have used the comforts and the insets. Personally, I can't stand havng to insert the set by hand, so I prefer the insets which are spring loaded. I don't even think twice about changing my set since I switched to the insets. It also makes it much easier to insert in sites that are hard to reach. Lastly, I have noticed that I get absolutely no infections with the insets. When I used the comforts, I always had infections after I removed my sites. This must have something to do with the fact that nothing really can get underneath the insets once they are on.

jentoe_22

I am a little worried now, because I am not sure which length the woman from Liberty ordered me. She asked me if I could pinch more than an inch at my side, I told her it was exactly an inch. Does it really make that much of a difference? They should be here in the morning for me to look at. But this is all so new to me. My syringes are 8mm long, and the longer quickset is 9mm right? It really does not seem that long at all. If she sent me the ones that are 6mm and they are too small, what happens? Do they come out easier? I am getting more nervous as the days go by. I will absolutely let you all know how it goes.

someone

If you can pinch 1 inch, you will probably find more comfort with 6 mm. They certainly won't be too short.

camjen1

I've been pumping for well over 4 years and have always used the 9mm Quick Sets. I have had a few bent cannula's in my time but if you watch your bs numbers then you can quickly fix the problem by replacing it with a new Quick Set. I was never asked what sets I wanted and I'm pretty sure the Quick Sets are standard unless you specifically specify what set you want to use.

Give them a go and then if you like them continue with them and if not there are always others that may feel more comfortable to you.

jentoe_22

Thank you guys. I feel a little better now. Everything should be here in the morning. I just want to get over the nerves. I will let you all know what I think of the quicksets. :D

NoelD

I've been using the 23" 9mm Quickset since I've been pumping. No issues except for pulling one out accidentally. I love 'em.

greengirl

Does it really make a difference if one uses 6mm or 9mm sets. I currently use the 8mm ultraflex sets. I got a sample of pink insets that I really liked in 6mm. And the Cozmo rep left me some 6mm cleos. I haven't had any issue using the 6mm, but I wonder if there is some reason not to. I can generally feel the ultraflex at 8mm even though the don't hurt. I've had a 6mm cleo in for almost 3 days with no issue. I definately do not fall into the lean catergory. More like average with about 10lbs to lose. Deltec is sending me a sample of 9mm, which I think will also be fine. Just wondering if there is any reason to pick one lenght over another?

someone
Does it really make a difference if one uses 6mm or 9mm sets. I currently use the 8mm ultraflex sets. I got a sample of pink insets that I really liked in 6mm. And the Cozmo rep left me some 6mm cleos. I haven't had any issue using the 6mm, but I wonder if there is some reason not to. I can generally feel the ultraflex at 8mm even though the don't hurt. I've had a 6mm cleo in for almost 3 days with no issue. I definately do not fall into the lean catergory. More like average with about 10lbs to lose. Deltec is sending me a sample of 9mm, which I think will also be fine. Just wondering if there is any reason to pick one lenght over another?

I just use the 6mm because the 9mm were hurting. I don't know why anyone would choose the 9mm over the 6mm.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.