Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

About infusions sets...

Subby

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I will keep reading and try a few types on my next order, then.

I know exactly what you mean by your "what works for one..." comment. When I was injecting, I had about 5 very important, resilient reasons I highly disliked pens compared to ol' syringes. They were rock solid issues for me, but then 99% of other diabetic related people I might discuss it with would disagree, and why not, if that was their experience. Strangely, that does seem to be the way it goes for me a lot of the time...

With that in mind, you mention canula didn't work so well for your body, for you do you find the needle type gives better absorption?

Dewey
With that in mind, you mention canula didn't work so well for your body, for you do you find the needle type gives better absorption?

Yes, for me, I do find that the needle sets tend to work better in terms of absorption. That said, I've also found sets like the Silhouettes to work well after years of not using them, so it could be that my body just needed a "healing time" from cannula sets or something? I'm not sure what the reason was behind that, but after a long while of using nothing but cannula sets, the absorption (again, for me) seemed to drop. :(

dottielove

Hi! Old diabetic here-41 years Type 1 (age 11). Been pumping since 2004, I think. Newbie to DF. Had NO IDEA all the sets out there--didn't even know about auto-setting. Been poking that L-O-N-G Comfort needle in sideways all this time! Always sweated a little. Tried a Cleo tonite after reading all these posts and advice. VERY nervous. No problems really (didn't even know it was really IN) Instructions crummy. Now waiting to see if it's getting the insulin thru. Worried about occlusions. The Comforts were getting bad about peeling off--been having to use the IV3000 all the time. Used the IV3000 on the Cleo before clicking the tubing on--cut a lil hole in the patch to fit around the "stump."

Thanks for all the info, everybody. Will post success or failure when I know.

Dottie

barbarac

Guess I am calling the right name. I had been having lots of highs and non absorption with the regular straight in quick sets. Someone here suggested I try the 30's with he inserter. I have only used one so far, but numbers have been much better--I am on 2nd one now. The only problem, the site looked a little redder on this one--hoping that was a fluke or something.

So far so good though. I do think this is working better. Thanks to the person making the suggestion.

Alnan

I see from my last post on this site, that it was Jan. '07 when my wife changed from the sof-set to the silhouette.

Took some adapting, and a change in the cannula.

Nancy went from the 17mm I believe, and now uses the 13mm cannula. In the last several months we have experienced fewer extra changes due to bad sites and other problems than we ever have. No IV3000's to mess with.

I know there are many personal considerations, what works for each individual. All I am saying is that after years as a diabetic, her third pump, and experimenting with different infusion sets - this has done very well for Nancy.

But - there's always a but isn't there? Knowing diabetes, you never ever want to become complacent.

Alnan

I always forget something in my posts, sorry. One of the things Nancy had problems adjusting to with the silhouette were - to inset manually, or use the sil-serter. She did not care for either.

But as she objected to the manual insertions more, the serter finally won out.

dottielove

OK--been using the Cleos for several weeks now. LOVE them except for MAJOR problems. Insertion great, but I'm often getting "blockage detected" messages. When I used Comforts with that L-O-N-G needle, I kept the set on for 7 days (money concerns, mainly). NEVER had a problem or infection. I'd change when the site got red. I do have two dimples in my stomach now, though. But now the Cleos stop up and I'm having to carry around extra sets--it really scares me to get that message. Guess I need to be vigilant about changing sets more frequently. I think the Cleo says 4 days? I can't say if my blockage problems are directly related to too-long on one set, but they probably are. As soon as I get my 90 day supply, I'll change at 4 days--Dottie Love

Subby

Yep, try 3 days. That's the official limit for most sets, and in the case of a foreign object stuck inside you, official limits are not bad ones to keep to - even if you had a good run before. 4 is pushing it but certainly safer and more likely to be successful, than 7. (Notwithstanding previous experience!)

For more info on the Cleo here's the faq at the website: FAQ about Cleo 90 Infusion Sets

judi t

I've been pumping now since June 4, this year, and have been using the Cleo infusion set. I'm changing sites every three days. I've found the Cleos to be excellent - no site probs at all and absolutely pain/trouble free insertion. I haven't tried anything else and at this stage wouldn't bother.

Kendall

I have found the sillhouette and the quick-set to work quite well for me. I have been using the quick-sets for over two years and only recently been having problems with sites pulling out. I use IV Prep swabs and that generally seems to work but I've pulled 3 out in the last few months.

I agree with what someone else said about them getting water saturated and then the adhesive gives out. Also, the warm weather (read that as sweaty weather) seems to be an issue too.

mcgriff

After reading several alarming posts about the Cleos I was hesitant to use them. These things aren't free for me so I don't want to waste my money on a crappy set. Well, the Cleos are doing a good job so far. I just use the IV prep pad sold from Smiths and they seem to stick really well. I do think they are worth a shot if you want to try em out. Insertion is so easy.

Gina R Snape

I've been using the Silhouette for a long time, but today I received samples of the polyfin to try out on my legs. Can someone tell me how to insert them? They didn't come with adequate directions.

HELP PLEASE! :confused:

Thanks

fgummett
...today I received samples of the polyfin to try out on my legs. Can someone tell me how to insert them? They didn't come with adequate directions.
I've not tried them but there is a very brief animation on the MM site here...

blue_eyed_devil
After reading several alarming posts about the Cleos I was hesitant to use them. These things aren't free for me so I don't want to waste my money on a crappy set. Well, the Cleos are doing a good job so far. I just use the IV prep pad sold from Smiths and they seem to stick really well. I do think they are worth a shot if you want to try em out. Insertion is so easy.

to be honest i think they either suite you or they don't...

i find them usless but i sweat a lot and they just seem to pull of very easily (on my clothes or even when i'm sleeping) despite useing iv prep.

but i know other people who love them and have no worries. it's you call really. worth a try definatley, because they are easy to use and not at all painfull...

daddyjukebox
For anyone who uses the Medtronic (Minimed) pumps:

Which set do you use/prefer?

Diabetic friends suggest the quick set over the silhoutte and sure T.

I've been using a 522 for a couple of years now. Started out with the quicksets and had tons of problems. Insertion, bent cannulas, leaking, pulling out, clogs, you name it. Switched to silhouettes a few months ago and those problems all but disappeared.

The biggest problem I had with the sils was the inserter. The quickset's serter is this friendly little blue disc. The sil's serter is a torpedo that goes WHAM! when you push the button. But now I have no leaks, pullouts, clogs, or bent cannulas.

The sil's also leave more visible marks on my abs but cosmetics arent as important as a reliable insertion that works, so I'll deal. And my woman doesnt mind the marks, so Ill stay with the sils.

CaitE

I have always used the 6 mm quicksets as I don't have very much body fat. I have recently (in the past 3 months) started having problems with the insulin pooling at the quick release. I have noticed this only after having infinite "no delivery" alarms. After MM told me i was scar tissue (which I don't believe to be true since continue to have this problem on new sites), I have switched to silhouettes. My first question is- other than the stomach, where do people wear them? I don't know how I"ll insert them on my hip or butt??? Also, I noticed someone wrote about the 6mm quicksets inserting past the adipose tissue? I wonder if this is my problem? Does anyone else know about this problem.

MUCH THANKS!

CaitE

I have always used the 6 mm quicksets as I don't have very much body fat. I have recently (in the past 3 months) started having problems with the insulin pooling at the quick release. I have noticed this only after having infinite "no delivery" alarms. After MM told me i was scar tissue (which I don't believe to be true since continue to have this problem on new sites), I have switched to silhouettes. My first question is- other than the stomach, where do people wear them? I don't know how I"ll insert them on my hip or butt??? Also, I noticed someone wrote about the 6mm quicksets inserting past the adipose tissue? I wonder if this is my problem? Does anyone else know about this problem.

Also I'm finding that the silhouettes are more tender than the quicksets and appear to be slightly red within hours after injection. I'm not sure if this is typical, or if I'm injecting them at the wrong angle?

MUCH THANKS!

--------------------------

Diabetic Since Age 10 (1993)

Last A1C 11/08 7.0%

Pumping since 2001

csad

Also I'm finding that the silhouettes are more tender than the quicksets and appear to be slightly red within hours after injection. I'm not sure if this is typical, or if I'm injecting them at the wrong angle?

MUCH THANKS!

--------------------------

Diabetic Since Age 10 (1993)

Last A1C 11/08 7.0%

Pumping since 2001

Hi - I've been using silhouettes for many years. When I started on the pump in 2000, the quick-set didn't work for me at all (I'm pretty thin, they said, though i can pinch more than an inch!). I used my stomach almost exclusively until late pregnancy a couple of years ago, when I had to try other sites because of bleeding at the stomach sites (pregnancy causes extra blood vessels to grow). Other sites are harder to use than the stomach, and insulin delivery isn't as fast. Leg (inner thigh) didn't work for me, not enough fat, and movement made it fall out. The upper butt worked okay but it's very hard to reach - I used the inserter (I usually do by hand in the stomach). It also didn't stick as well, so I had to use Tegaderm over the top. I found the upper arm worked best, but I couldn't use the silhouette there, I switched to the 6 mm and it seemed to work well, though it pulled out sometimes. (6 mm quickset didn't work in my stomach). Not sure whether that'd work for you as you said you had a pooling problem. But that makes me wonder - if the only sign of pooling is no delivery alarms (and no obvious lump under the skin), maybe it's not pooling but crystalizing of the insulin (my doc said that could be a problem with regular humulog, but not with novolog). With the silhouette I have sometimes had redness at the site, and that usually means it's not inserted right (I find about a 30 deg. angle works best, but it probably varies for different people; so try different angles). I also use oragel at the site for a few seconds before alcohol wipe and injection. Without the oragel, the insertion is often excruciating, and the site is sore for hours afterward; with the oragel, no such problems. I hope you find something that works well for you, it does seem like we have to go through a lot of trial and much error!

rjoyner17

Hello Folks,

I am a type 1 since 13 mo's old, and been pumping since 15 years old. I am now 23. I am using the paradigm pump and the quicksets. The quicksets have been ok for about 3-4 years. Recently my tummy to the left and right has been inflamed and little balls left in my skin after removal.

I dont know whats going on. I got a new quickserter and everything. Nothing seems to be working. I have gained maybe 7 lb's in the last 4 months but nothing to worry about. I am 158 overall and 5'9. So I am not fat by any means.

Since my tummy is inflamed and hard to infuse the sets are now sitting on a mound of what appears to be tissue and they are having an even harder time staying in. Now if I sweat at all its done and I am removing and re doing it. I am using mastisol and tegaderm to keep it in me but it seems to be keeping the sweat under the tape and making the set come apart even easier.

So here are my questions:

1. Why the issues with inflamation recently and what do I do?

2. What other options do I have for sets that stay in better? I like the quicksets more than the sillohuettes.

3. How do I keep my tummy from looking like a disgusting warzone? I honestly look like I have fat mounds on either side, but I am the only one who really knows thats its tissue.

Help?? :(

FatCatAnna

Ouch - on the inflamed stomach. How often do you change your infusion site (e.g. after being told off by a few posters - and thank goodness they told me off - I now rotate every 3 days - RELIGIOUSLY). Also, do you rotate to allow skin to heal inbetween? I move my next infusion set over by about 1" each time. I have only been pumping for over a year now and so I'm still a newbie (MDI'd past 40 years). I use both Quicksets and Sils - find I have more irritation with the Sils tho'.

Dogen

Day 3 with the new Ping and insets and I have some questions...

1. Is there a method for changing sets? I looked through the info in the inset box, but it only tells me how to insert the set. Changing sets was pretty painful as a result, and I leaked - both insulin/interstitial fluid and a little blood.

2. Is there a preferred time period between a bolus and a set change? I waited about an hour, but I still leaked. I'm not sure if this was related to the bolus or not. It was maybe 2 or 3 units worth of fluid.

3. Is there a better way to get the infusion set disconnected from my skin than the bandaid method (close eyes, pull hard and fast)? I have a raw, red spot from where the inset was stuck to me, and had to move my new set farther away. This probably helped me bleed/leak, too.

4. I had about 20u left in my reservoir when I switched, and the DE told me not to worry about it, but screw that, you know? I screwed the needle from the new reservoir onto the old one and put the 20u back in my vial. ... Okay, that isn't really a question.

telizas

You can always just change the set and not the reservoir, which is what I plan to do since I'm not going to use up the 200 units I started with by tomorrow morning. If you're using the insets, just unclip the tubing from the set, replace the set and ditch the old tubing, or set it aside for your next reservoir change.

This is all conjuncture on my part tho... waiting to see answers to your other questions. :)

butterflykisses
Day 3 with the new Ping and insets and I have some questions...

1. Is there a method for changing sets? I looked through the info in the inset box, but it only tells me how to insert the set. Changing sets was pretty painful as a result, and I leaked - both insulin/interstitial fluid and a little blood.

2. Is there a preferred time period between a bolus and a set change? I waited about an hour, but I still leaked. I'm not sure if this was related to the bolus or not. It was maybe 2 or 3 units worth of fluid.

3. Is there a better way to get the infusion set disconnected from my skin than the bandaid method (close eyes, pull hard and fast)? I have a raw, red spot from where the inset was stuck to me, and had to move my new set farther away. This probably helped me bleed/leak, too.

4. I had about 20u left in my reservoir when I switched, and the DE told me not to worry about it, but screw that, you know? I screwed the needle from the new reservoir onto the old one and put the 20u back in my vial. ... Okay, that isn't really a question.

I tend to leave the old set in place for at least three hours if I gave myself a recent bolus. That usually prevents anything from leaking and I feel assured that I'm not losing part of my bolus when removing the set. However, I really try not to bolus before set changes, but that's not always possible.

As far as removing...I don't do the band aid thing, even with band aids, lol. I like to pull it up around the edges and then pull it off, gently. There are products that help dissolve the adhesive if you have trouble...I haven't needed to go that route, perhaps someone else here has. It's not usually painful to me to remove them. Only time I'd say it was painful was when it was painful site in the first place. Sometimes if it's gotten sore it just feels so darn to get it out I don't think I'd notice if it was painful. :eek:

Dogen

You know, I think that might have been part of it... I'm not used to being tethered to anything, and I've pulled the cord a few times - dropping my pants, changing my pants, not realizing it slipped out of my pocket and then standing up... I need to become a woman, then clip it to my bra. :T

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.