Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

About infusions sets...

telizas
You know, I think that might have been part of it... I'm not used to being tethered to anything, and I've pulled the cord a few times - dropping my pants, changing my pants, not realizing it slipped out of my pocket and then standing up... I need to become a woman, then clip it to my bra. :T

Yep! You need some tatas! :D J/k

If I've been keeping it in my pocket, I've been making it a point to clip it to the front of my shirt before taking down my pants to use the toilet. It keeps it out of the way entirely.

Cluck

I am just about to purchase a pump but haven't yet decided on a MM or Animas.

The infusion sets honestly completely freak me out. I'm a whimp I guess, although I have no problems with the tiny insulin syringes.

There is NO way I could do the SILs, that inserter is simply monsterous and the needle is SO long! I tried a 6mm Qset and that went straight through adipose tissue, was very painful even after the needle came out and there was quite a bit of blood when I removed it. The problem is clearly that the inserter needle is longer and when using the inserter it gets pushed way too deep and into muscle.

The only set I am comfortable inserting myself and which I can't really feel when it's in is the SureT with the little 6mm needle. I don't know that this will work as I have worries that it will come out. Right now, however, this is the only way I can see me beginning to pump.

I get to see all the Animas paraphenalia (sp?) tomorrow.

These blasted companies need to consult their customers more than their research teams. For me the infusion sets are what are most important. These are what we wear 24/7, that scar our bodies and make it harder and harder to treat our diabetes. These infusion sets are what need fixing!:mad:

Vent over.

telizas

I have a Ping, and the inserters make it less scary for me. The prospect of just jabbing something in like a blood draw scares me. But, I did get a sample of Orbit sets, and plan to try them next time I change....

All that said, you *can* use any infusion set with any pump. It may require one additional adaptor piece, but it can be done. So don't let that sway you. If you like a Minimed set, but prefer the Ping, you CAN have both. I will try to find a link to the thing you'd have to get (I want to find it myself so I can try the Minimed sets).

sarahspins

I got my sample box of Orbit sets last week.. they sent them to my Endo's office though? It wasn't a big deal since I was already headed there to pick up some Apidra to try when they called to let me know. I'm glad they sent a WHOLE box and not just 2 to try. I screwed up my first insertion which hurt a TON and resulted in blood running down my leg when I pulled it a couple of minutes later (it hurt too much to even attach the hub, which is why I pulled it). The second went better (no pain).. I'm looking forward to trying another after this one.

I had nothing but trouble with quicksets when I first started pumping with minimed in 2002.. and sort of swore off all 90 degree sets, but so far this one seems to be doing fine. I got my sample sets in 6mm with 30" tubing. I really like the tubing length.. it's just long enough for an arm site, and not too overwhelmingly long for a belly site like 42" tubing is.. The tape is interesting... it's different than the tapes used on other sets, and mine has wrinkled up a TON after a day and a half, however it is sticking surprisingly well and I didn't use any IV prep or anything underneath it. It isn't irritating my skin -at all- either.

I wonder if the hub being able to rotate freely will help keep the cannula in the skin from kinking... I always felt that may have been a big factor in quicksets failing to work for me - the set would get tugged, and that's enough motion to pull up the cannula a tiny bit and kink it... I had tried both cannula lengths and neither worked - back then I switched to sils and inserted them by hand, which was intimidating, but I had so much better results with them. In 3 years I could count on one hand the number that had kinked on me (usually thigh sites) and I was generally very happy with them.

I would really like to try the orbit 90 micro - that's a steel set.

Oh, and I have heard, but I can't find my quickserter to try it, that the Orbits are compatible with it...

butterflykisses
I am just about to purchase a pump but haven't yet decided on a MM or Animas.

The infusion sets honestly completely freak me out. I'm a whimp I guess, although I have no problems with the tiny insulin syringes.

There is NO way I could do the SILs, that inserter is simply monsterous and the needle is SO long! I tried a 6mm Qset and that went straight through adipose tissue, was very painful even after the needle came out and there was quite a bit of blood when I removed it. The problem is clearly that the inserter needle is longer and when using the inserter it gets pushed way too deep and into muscle.

The only set I am comfortable inserting myself and which I can't really feel when it's in is the SureT with the little 6mm needle. I don't know that this will work as I have worries that it will come out. Right now, however, this is the only way I can see me beginning to pump.

I get to see all the Animas paraphenalia (sp?) tomorrow.

These blasted companies need to consult their customers more than their research teams. For me the infusion sets are what are most important. These are what we wear 24/7, that scar our bodies and make it harder and harder to treat our diabetes. These infusion sets are what need fixing!:mad:

Vent over.

Sometimes you just hit a bad spot. It's possible that the Quickset would work for you, but then lots of people complain about them not working, so? If you go with Animas with the luer lock system you can also get steel sets in other brands that will work, like Accu-chek. Just a thought. Good luck in your quest.

klm5028

Although I have now been on a pump less than a year (MDI for 10 years), I have gone through four different infusion sets already! I'm on the Medtronic Paradigm 722, so all the sets are MM infusion sets. Below I'll give my experiences with each of these in the hopes that it will help another pump user avoid the hassles (and hospitalization!) that I went through during this ordeal. Still not positive what will work best for me, so if anyone has suggestions please do share...

1) Quickset (9mm)

quick-set-05.jpg

I started on the 9mm Quickset infusions. These are neat little sets, in that they are easy to insert manually, disconnect easily, and even have a little plastic piece that bends the needle into the set for safety after you're done. I was sent the 9mm because I was told it was the "standard" size, but after having issues with them and discussing it with my educator, it sounds like 9mm really is for those above average weight. She said most average/thinner people have trouble with the 9mm, so I moved on to...

2) Quickset (6mm)

MMT39X_QUICKSET.JPG

Works just the same as the 9mm, but with a shorter catheter, which seemed to work better for me at first. But then I started having some of the same problems - bent catheters mostly, occasional blood in the catheter, etc. It gradually got worse until it was to the point where I would have to change infusion sets 4 times before I could get one to work! And of course it takes time to realize if it's working since the "no delivery" warning rarely came up and you're not getting insulin that whole time so you're bg is rising VERY quickly. I actually ended up in the hospital after a series of failed infusion sets. I had given a syringe injection and everything but I guess DKA had already set in so my bg wasn't coming down and I wound up in the hospital for the first time since my diagnosis a decade ago.

After this experience I realized I needed something quite different, so I called medtronic and they sent me a sample of the silhouettes. My advice regarding the Quicksets is first; do not get the 9mm unless you are overweight, as you are likely to have issues; and second: if you are on the thin, muscular or active side and have any problems with Quickset, they are unlikely to get better so I would move on to a different infusion set ASAP, as Quicksets are a waste of your time

3) Silhouettes (13mm)

silhouette2b.jpg

These are long catheters that are inserted at an angle. They are supposed to reduce the risk of bent catheters and other issues, and are recommended for anyone who is thinner. I found these sets to be much more reliable than the Quicksets, and have only had 1 bent catheter in the 3 or 4 months I've been using them. They hurt more going in because of the long needle used to insert, but then you pull it out and it's relatively comfortable (although not quite as comfortable as the Quicksets).

The problem I had with the Silhouettes is frequent infections. I could only keep them in for 2 days maximum (as opposed to 3 days with most sets) and even after just 2 days the site will start to get itchy and appear infected. When I removed the set I'd have a little red spot on my skin that looks like a bug bite and is clearly infected. I am careful about cleaning and disinfecting these spots but they take so long to heal that I now have little red dots all over me and am quickly running out of clean infusion sites! I finally got fed up with this and I am trying one of the last sets left for me to try:

4) Sure-T's (6mm)

suret.png

These infusion sets consist of a very short needle that you put straight in and it stays there. This was a kind of last resort for me, as I couldn't imagine keeping a needle inside of me all the time instead of a catheter, or how that could possibly be comfortable?! It also has two adhesive spots - one with the needle, and the other where you disconnect, which may help prevent infection since you don't have to mess with the spot where the needle is inserted. On the downside, it means your pump is even less discrete since you are essentially wearing two infusion sites instead of one.

So far, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the Sure-T. I does not hurt at all to insert and is actually quite comfortable to wear. Plus it comforts me to know that there is virtually nothing that can go wrong other than it falling out, since there is no catheter to worry about.

Of course the problem is that it does fall out, quite easily. I am a fairly active person and the first serious jog or bike ride I would go on, the adhesives would fall off. So I've ordered some Tegaderm to put over the needle once it's inserted to see if this will help it stay on.

I have heard that the adhesives on Sure-Ts are not so good, and that others have had success with IV dressing like this. Hopefully this will work, because I love the Sure-T's otherwise. The other problem is that you can't cover the other spot with dressing, or else you wouldn't be able to disconnect from your pump. But I figure that part is not as important. As long as I can keep my needle in, the other connection can just dangle for all I care! If anyone have any suggestions for keeping Sure T's on please let me know!

I hope all my blabbering about various infusion sets are helpful to someone somewhere. It really can be a pain to find the one that works best for you so good luck to all you pumpers :)

poodlebone

My experience is similar to yours. I was very overweight when I started pumping and was sent 9mm Quick-Sets. They worked fine for the first 6 months or so and then I started having many problems. Bent cannulas, high BGs, rarely a No Delivery alarm. Sometimes when I removed the set it looked perfectly fine, not bent at all, so I don't know what was going on. Minimed sent me samples of the 6mm Quick-Sets but I had the same problems. Then they sent samples of Silhouettes, which only came in the 17mm cannula at that time. While it was mentally challenging at first to insert them I soon got the hang of it and rarely ever had a problem with the sets. When MM introduced the 13mm cannula I switched to that. During this time I had lost a lot of weight but wasn't too muscular and still had enough body fat so any set should have worked. When the Sure-Ts came out I got a box of those and had mixed results. In some places I could definitely feel the needle, a lot. Now I use them mainly for arm sites and they work perfectly and never hurt there. I could never get another type of set into the back of my arm so the Sure-Ts allow me to use sites I couldn't before. I can even reach around and slap them in my back, kind of around the way from the love handles. I tried one in my upper butt recently and it was the most painful set I have ever experienced. I pulled and moved it two times, using extra tape to hold it down, and each site was more painful than the last. My nerve endings must have been having a convention there that day.

When I use Sure-Ts in my arm I reuse the long 43" tubing from Silhouettes to ensure I have enough slack. I do often put something over the needle part, usually a piece of Hypafix, but for me they usually stick fine without anything extra.

Oh, I have also tried the 6mm Mios (only a few so far) and had no problems. I have 2 boxes of 9mm Sof-Sets that Ive decided to use up and 4 out of 5 that I've tried worked great. On Sunday the one I inserted didn't seem to be letting much insulin through so I changed it. I think I may have gone too close to the belly button with that one, trying to keep it in the flabbiest area since it was 9mm. I do not plan on ever ordering any more Sof-Sets once these are gone (I got them 5 years ago!) and may keep a box of Mios on hand in the future since they're easy to just toss in a bag and they're easy to dispose of on the go.

Richyboy

Have'nt really had any problems with the quicksets probably because I have plenty of fat around my belly. I use the 9MM. I did have for the first time since starting pumping my first no delivery the other day at work. My fault. I changed the set that morning and it hurt when I inserted it. I should have pulled it then. I guess I hit a blood vessel. Later before lunch I got the no delivery alarm, thinking it was a bent cannula but I got another alarm, so I pulled it and changed the set. I keep extra supplies at work. Good idea. I have ordered the new 32" quicksets instead of the 43" and two boxes of MIOs.

Richyboy

I tried one of the Mio's and had to change it four hours later due to high bs. The adhesive felt wet. When I removed it the cannula was bent over and curled. I will have to watch them when I insert them the next time. That's why I only ordered two boxes this time to see how they go. First try not so good.

poodlebone
I tried one of the Mio's and had to change it four hours later due to high bs. The adhesive felt wet. When I removed it the cannula was bent over and curled. I will have to watch them when I insert them the next time. That's why I only ordered two boxes this time to see how they go. First try not so good.

What length cannula did you get? I thought they came in 6mm & 9mm but on the store site I only saw 6mm. I only ordered one box because I had bad luck with Quick-Sets. The 6mm Mios have worked well for me so far.

Richyboy

Hi, Liz. I got the 9mm. I had to call to order them. I have both the Mio's and Quicksets in the 32" length. I am going on a plane trip and wanted the MIO's for easy packing.:)

Blckflys

I know this sounds terrible having been pumping for nearly four years now but I never really gave much thought to switching infusion sets. Neither did I attribute much of my problems with pumping to the quickset. My endo looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about when I said I would get bent cannulas often and no delivery alarms frequently. After reading through the thread I think I may give a few other sites a try. I am on a minimed 722 and have only used 9mm quicksets I am very interested in the MIOs I read RichyBoy's short experience with them. Are there any others that have had a good or bad experience? They seem to be similar to the quicksets in that they go in at a 90 degree angle but does that mean they likely have the same problems? I would try the sils but I have heard that is ideal for leaner body types...I'm not huge but definitely not lean. Also I remember trying the sil-serter and being scared to death of it. anyone have any other suggestions for minimed user?

poodlebone

Brandon,

I am one of the people who had a lot of problems with Quick-Sets. I think part of the problem is that they go in at 90 degrees and are more likely to bend/kink and you can also run into problems with the quick connect at the site. If it's not perfect the insulin flow can be stopped or slowed and you end up high. I have removed many sets that looked perfect (no bent cannula) but my numbers were still sky high. Later on I read about the connection problem.

I have used the Mios but only a few so far and had no problems. I'm using the 6mm cannula. There is no connector issue like with the Quick-Sets because it's a completely different kind of connection.

I am not skinny and I use the shorter 13mm Silhouettes with no problems. I insert manually and it was very easy to do after the first few sets and is far les scary than using the inserter. The inserter can go in too deep which leads to pain and bad sets (I used it for my first few sets). I have had a total of maybe 4 bad Sils in 4 1/2 years and they were pretty much because of poor site choices.

I suggest calling Minimed's HELP line, not the Order department, and explain that you've had many bent cannulas & No Delivery alarms and would like samples of some other sets. The other option is the Sure-T which is a metal needle, not a plastic cannula. I can use those pretty much only in my arms but they're great there and I never feel them.

lil john
I have a Paradigm pump so all of the sets I've used have been Minimed's with the proprietary connection.

Started with Quick-Sets. Worked great for the first few months and then I started getting one bent cannula after another. I tried with and without the Serter. I tried inserting sitting down, and standing up, Nothing worked.

At the same time I was using Quick-Sets I also got some Sof-Sets. They go straight in like the Quick-Sets but don't have any built-in adhesive, so they needed to be taped down with IV3000, Tegaderm etc. The sets came with two pieces of tape with holes cut out in the middle to fit over the hub. I liked that the set was very flat, which was possible because the tubing doesn't connect right at the site. Instead, it disconnects along the tubing, about 4" away from the site. I had fewer problems with these than with Quick-Sets, but having to tape them down was very annoying.

I then switched to the Silhouettes, which scared the **** out of me when I first saw them. Even scarier was the Serter device. I dreaded every site change, especially when my Serter jammed. One day I got brave and did it manually, and it was horrible. Went back to the Serter, then got brave again. After the second manual insertion I forgot all about the Serter.

While using the Sils I also tried the Sure-Ts, the ones with the tiny metal cannula. I liked the idea of them more than I actually liked using them. I didn't care for the two adhesive pads. The site was very flat, flatter than the Sof-Set, because the connection/hub is separate, connected to the cannula by a short length of tubing. So you have the cannula stuck down, then the tubing, then another adhesive pad with the connector. I liked that it was the same connector as the Silhouettes, which meant I could switch between the sets without changing my tubing. I like that when I put the set in and it hurt, I could peel it up and stick it somewhere else (since it's metal), but I also had to tape it down after moving it because the built-in adhesive no longer stuck.

Now I use the shorter, 13mm Silhouettes. They work great for me, no kinks, and in over a year of using Sils I've had only two sets that I had to remove due to problems and one of those was because I inserted it in a really bad area. I find them to be extremely comfortable and insertion really isn't a big deal, especially with the shorter cannula. I love that I can use my upper abdomen, where there isn't as much fat as other areas. Even before I lost weight and had a lot more padding up there, the 90° sets hurt too much to insert above my waist.

my problem is that i am a very small man and i mean small 100 lbs, 5'2" no meat for the infusion what would you decide on, doctors can seem to help, another this is the sticky on the adhesive, seems to stick to my inserter,:mad:,but back to you i am glad you found the one for you, great :) but some of those seem to be kind of troublesome as it seems to me to be more work than using the device:confused: but thats my oppinion, sorry for the spelling. and again it is great that you found the set up that works for you as it is a trial

error.

lil john

Hi dewey, been a type 1 for about 38 yrs and started using the pump for over one year, i use the quick sets and i am getting tired

of these because i am very small, around 100 lbs. no meat, the problem i have with the quick set is that there no delivery or with the inserter, being the sticky is sticking to the inserter, which is a pain the neck when time is a must, what would you think would be better for both.

thank you

amy612

Hi Everyone. I am on the MM Paradigm 722 clear pump, I have used the soft-sets, quick set and now the MIO. I just switched over to the MIO from the Quick Set. I like the MIO because it is all in one, and of course it comes in cool colors too. LOL I use the 6mm canula and it works out great. I find that when it has been around 2- 2 1/2 days my bs, starts to creep up, and i know that it is time to change my infusion set. I wonder is there a better infusion set that doesnt always hurt? With the quick set, i ran into such painful injections. It was like I was hitting every spot that would burn/sting when i would do the fixed prime. Has that happened to any of you? How are the silhouettes, are they more comfortable when injecting? The Mio is so small, so far its working. thanks for listening, :)

poodlebone

I never had any pain when I used Quick-Sets, other than the painful annoyance of bad sets and high BGs! I switched to the Silhouettes and also have no problems. The Sils have a longer cannula & needle because they're inserted at an angle. There's an insertion device available but I found that to hurt a lot and it would often put the set in too deep, and it would be painful and not work. I've also used the Mio and Sof-Set and have never felt it when I bolused or did a fixed prime.

Where are you putting the sets?

andersgeorgsson

I am new to pumping, they had me wear the pump with saline for a week - I am now on my THIRD "trouble" set/site using a MIO set, tuesday was the third day on one set, and I woke up with a fasting BG of 230 after a good before bed BG - but again - I was ready to replace it, so I did.

The set that went in tuesday went okay until yesterday morning when I woke up with a 104 BG - after breakfast bolus, I started having discomfort and at lunch it outright HURT when the bolus went in, and the BGs never went down under 140 after breakfast. So I called my trainer (or her college, because she was on vacation) - and was told " replace the reservoir/set" since you are on your SECOND day anyway... I bolused with a flexpen - and my numbers came down until I could make it home... Got home around 5.30 and replaced everything, before bedtime - my BGs were again below 110.

All day today, it feels like someone is pressing on the set - and it gets worse with boluses.. I have been putting the set "5 oclock low" over the buttock, 3 o'clock above belt and now I am 9 o'clock above belt.. These are all "fresh" areas, and I'm using a 6mm inset - and I've always used 5mm needles with my pens before (lantus/novolog)... When I have removed the other sets - the area hasn't been noticeable inflamed or anything, 24 hours after the last removal - I have a hard time finding where the old set even was!

I'm getting to be frustrated.. Things went so well before I actually started using insulin in the pump!?

I want this to work so badly but I don't know how I can keep this up if it is going to be this painful!?

Today my trained emailed me and told me to think about getting some "Bard's Protective Wipes"?

Wouldn't that just help if you had a skin/adhesive problem?

ANY and ALL advice is greatly appreciated!!

(and thank you for your attention, I know you probably just spent a minute to read my gripe when you could have done something useful with that time)

Chanson13

That sounds awful. Can you try some other infusion sets to see if something else works better for you? Maybe your trainer can makes some suggestions. I use the old "Silhouette" infusion sites. They go in at an angle, and although they look kind of spooky (long needle) I find they work pretty well for me. Good luck.

Carl

carealot

Hello I also use quick sets and had alarms go off also but so far no problems with bent canuals so far. I will look into other types thank you for bring this issue up did not realize it maybe the set . I am new to a pump only 4 months now, still learning alot .

andersgeorgsson

I've been using 9mm quick-sets since this last post - initially, I had the same issues where the site would be "sore" and hurt when a bolus went in,

but I am now putting on an IV-3000 directly on the skin, and then insert the quick-set THRU it - so that the IV-3000 forms a barrier between the skin

and the set... So far so good! ;)

SCC

Suggest trying different sets - the silhouettes work for me - I had issues with the quick sets, very few in four years with sils. I also use Tegaderm HP as a barrier - major difference as far as irritation. I get those from Amazon, cheaper than Medtronic.

lark 27

Very interesting perusing this thread. I used the Quick-Sets for almost two years when I started the pump. I just thought it was a way of life that everytime I started a new site I would have BGs that spiked and I would have to overbolus for several hours to keep my BG somewhat in check. Then about 6 hours later I would have a BG crash due to all the extra insulin I had to take. After that things would level off and run smoothly for several days till time to change sites again. I started injecting some insulin to treat my high BGs from a new site, and that helped to reduce the level of the high BGs and the severity of any rebound lows; however, it just made it seem to take longer for my new site to "take" and function properly.

I switched to Silhouettes and the problem has resolved. I insert by hand which freaked me out a little at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. My wife has even gotten used to inserting into the back of my love handles.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my surplus of Quick-Sets. Such a waste of money!

GrammaBear

I also had the same problem using the Quick set. Then I also changed to Silhouettes and my BG have been much better after inserting a new site. Your wife is brave :) I could not get my husband to insert one for me as he doesn't like needles.

Frantastic

When I started pumping 2 years ago, Medtronic was really good about sending free samples of all their different sets. Try everything to find one that suits you best.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.