Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

md2mum

What is a mum to do?

md2mum

I love my son but he is a pain now that he's a teen, he's a brat when it comes to his pump and checking sugars. Anyone have ideas?

HELP, please

MJM
I love my son but he is a pain now that he's a teen, he's a brat when it comes to his pump and checking sugars. Anyone have ideas?

HELP, please

As was already mentioned, a reality check is badly required. One thing for sure is that no matter what happens it will all come back to your son eventually. If he takes the wrong road he will encounter serious problems in time to come. The seeds of these problems will be sown as soon as he starts to neglect his own care. If he takes the right road he can enjoy a good standard of health and enjoyment of life, whereas if he chooses the wrong road he can look forward to a very poor life with many serious complications, some of which can be fatal. I don't know if he's aware of this, but if he's not it should be pointed out to him.

I do know that at his age life seems immortal. I was a little like him when I was a teen and a wasn't always doing what I should have been. But when I learned what might happen if I continued, I quickly changed to a more appropriate lifestyle.

All you can do is inform him and hope he can realise the errors of his ways. I wish you well and hope you are successful in your endeavours.

right2fight

Hi Mum, You state your son is a teen, how old is he? My son is now 13 and yes at times he needs an attitude adjustment, but we started at 7 letting him know how important it is to take good care of himself. For the most part he does a great job, with the exception of peanut butter crackers. lol

HollyB

I think some teens just get so sick of the constant responsibility, at an age when their friends are starting to cut loose. The reality check is probably important, but also -- maybe ask him if there's anything you can do to help him stay on track. Something you could take over for him for awhile, in exchange for him staying on top of his testing. Maybe program in pump reminders so it's not so easy for him to say "I forgot."

I keep my son's log book for him -- he hates the fussy number recording and it gives me a way to keep an eye on his testing and numbers without grilling him every day. Maybe you could do something like that, and work a contract about the number of tests expected, even with built in rewards/consequences? Just a thought.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.