Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

liz32

kids with anxiety?

liz32

I am wondering if any of you have children with generalized anxiety disorder....that seems the term to best identify what my son is going through. He is a bright student very hard working, well liked, lots of friends etc.... He says that he gets nervous all the time at school and doesn't want to go any more. He asks almost daily now if he has to go to school and if I can home school him. He can't express himself well and ususally ends up in tears. I think a doctors visit is in order but I don't want to upset him more....I mentioned the doctors and that made him upset. I hate to see him in such a state and I don't even know where to begin with the nervousness. I'm just wondering if any of you parents have any advise. I've tested his sugars but they all seem normal. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Liz

duck

Find a good therapist. GAD can be very, very serious, and many times untreated it can balloon from anxiety about school to anxiety about social situations, job performance, relationships, etc. I've said it a lot here, but "anxiety" is a growing issue in western cultures--it's like our minds need something to preoccupy them, something that requires concern (like mere survival as hunter-gatherers), and now that we live in relative ease and wealth, the human population is developing strange disorders, this being one of those.

Anyway, it's treatable, but finding a good therapist may be tricky.

Keezheekoni

I'd definitely take your son to his pediatrician and get a referral for a good children's therapist. I have a couple of friends whose daughters get stomach aches constantly and they figured out it was anxiety. Until they found out, their children were about to be referred to eating disorder therapy because they'd lost over 20% of their body weights. It was quite scary!

right2fight

Hi Liz, I have a son with D, who has experienced a number of reasons for anxiety. Last year starting middle school a lot of parents related how their children has terrible anxiety getting to school. How old is your son and has he told you any horror stories about being bullied or harrassed while at school. In my opinion, I think you need to pinpoint the issues, maybe the school guidance counselor can offer some insight into why he's experiencing the horrible anxiety. It's a shot but I would also look for some professional help. Good Luck, Margaret

liz32

Thats the thing...I've questioned him about anyone bully him, if his teacher speaks to him nicely...I know he has lots of friends. This happened last year with primary. He started bitting the inside of his lip (and I do mean bitting....it was a mess), and chewing his fingernails down to where they bleed. I would ask him if he was ok or why he was doing it but all he could say was he wanted to go to school and he didn't know why he was bitting his lips and fingers. Long story short...after christmas I noticed that his nails were long...ie:he'd finally stopped bitting. Why I asked again what it was all about he said he had been nervous. I thaught we were all done with this but now we're back to it again. I tell him that home schooling isn't the answer but finding a way to deal with the nervousness it but how to go about that isn't easy. You've all mentioned a therapist...I guess I'll have to see about getting into one. OUt here inthe country, I doubt that will be easy to do...anyone have any tips inthe meantime?

Liz

valc3

Not sure of how the school systems work in Nova Scotia, but is there a guidance counselor available at your son's school. Maybe. you should check in with the school to see if something is going on that your son isn't sharing with you. Also, has he had a physical lately? Could their be a medical reason for the anxiety?

I hope things work out. Hang in there.

Mama Belle

It very well could be GAD, but it also could be depression. They have the same general components and often times folks with Depression also have anxiety issues. I concur that you should find a good therapist or school counselor. This is an issue of health. You wouldn't not take him to the doc if he had a medical condition just because he said he didn't want to go? Explain to him that this isn't a judgment on him, it is about keeping him healthy. There is a huge component between physical and mental health. My daughter was in a similar boat last year and didn't want to see a psychologist. After the second appointment she couldn't wait to go and it helped a lot.

erryjay

Liz,

my heart goes out to you. You remind of my sweet mom who so wanted the best for me but was not guided to someone who truly knew what to do about my "issues". I am a 61 year old man in new york city newly diagnosed type 2 and came across your request for guidance.

For over 20 years I have worked with parents teaching them to have close, warm, respectful mutually nurturing relationships with their children. So often I see "emotional" issues begin to clear up when A--the child is tought to absorb or "take in" the love of his parents and those around him. B--the child is tought how to express the love for his parents and those around him. An old saying from the "hippie generation" was, love heals. I can hear that you love your child. What I have learned however, is- more mportant than how much we love someone is HOW MUCH THEY FEEL LOVED.

I realise that this is a diabetic forum. I also know that reducing stress can reduce the numbers. So if you would like some tips from me, on this group or off, let me know.

Jerry

I am wondering if any of you have children with generalized anxiety disorder....that seems the term to best identify what my son is going through. He is a bright student very hard working, well liked, lots of friends etc.... He says that he gets nervous all the time at school and doesn't want to go any more. He asks almost daily now if he has to go to school and if I can home school him. He can't express himself well and ususally ends up in tears. I think a doctors visit is in order but I don't want to upset him more....I mentioned the doctors and that made him upset. I hate to see him in such a state and I don't even know where to begin with the nervousness. I'm just wondering if any of you parents have any advise. I've tested his sugars but they all seem normal. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Liz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.