Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Student benefits

DeusXM

Does anyone know what kind of (if any) benefits students are entitled to if they have T1? For the first time this year on my student loan form I stated I have a disability ie. T1, and I was just wondering if anyone else has done this before and got anything out of it.

Lorna

I don't think there actually are any, unless you are prepared to apply for Disabled Students allowance. Let me know how you get on though. (I am about to graduate, but am going to do post graduate study next year, so I am prepared to look anywhere for funding)

DeusXM

I've heard somewhere that if you have T1 you're entitled to a free fridge, but that might be an urban legend.

What really p***es me off though is my cousin is mildly dyslexic. As a result, he gets a brand new computer (worth 2 grand) given to him free, and because it's got internet capability, the government actually has to pay for his internet access too. And he got 4 Bs at A-level so it's not as if he's stupid, or that his dyslexia seriously affects his work standard.

I just think it's a bit unfair I have to inject 4 times a day just for the privilige of staying alive and I get jack all back.

Lorna

The free fridge is if you are staying in halls of residence, you can get a mini bar thing in your room, which they are obleiged to do for free incase your insulin gets stolen from the communal fridge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.