Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

Mody

Jenny

Here are a few links for MODY or Maturity onset diabetes in the young. http://www.technion.ac.il/~rimma/mainpage.html

http://www.genetichealth.com/DBTS_Genetics_of_MODY.shtml

The first one talks about how ppl can present with insulin resistance and all sorts of varying degrees of t2 diabetes at first . I wonder if this is me....only time will tell I guess.

Shalyndria

Wow Jen I've never even heard of MODY before; great find! Look at all the cool stuff we learn here! Interesting how it's an autosomal condition!

Now if they only had the capability to test for the mutated genes...

Shy

rzrbks
Now if they only had the capability to test for the mutated genes...

:confused: These would be genettes?

Shalyndria
Originally posted by rzrbks

:confused: These would be genettes?

No, they would be gegnomes !

Hehehe.

Shy

Harold

Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young! HMMMMMMMM!!!!

Does this mean that those over 25 that developed diabetes also have one of these gene mutations? They seem to be still defining some of these mutations.

Answering what TYPE is about to become very complicated.:-

rzrbks
Harold

Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young! HMMMMMMMM!!!!

Yes, it all makes sense now.

Harold, you're old enough to remember back when they told us not to sit too close to a Color TV because the radiation would effect us--------everybody thought that we'd just Glow In The Dark-------instead------DIABETES

Jenny

I think that since science is getting more knowledgeable about diabetes, it is only resonable that they are finding more and more gene mutations. The only problem is going to be fixing the genes. if that is possible!

Harold
remember back when they told us not to sit too close to a Color TV

:D I remember when they told us that about B&W TV.:D

Jenny anything is possible. Was reading an article about a DNA computer that could deliver a drug solution. So far it was only proven to do so in a vial with a known solution. Which is a far cry from the mixed chemicals it would encounter in a body. So it's a long way off and was in development for cancer treatment, but the technology could be applied to any condition needing a specific drug.

Shalyndria

Jen,

I recently read a medical article about neonatal diabetes. Apparently researchers have found mutated genes in the majority of neonatal diabetic cases, all of which had hyperglycemia and low birth weight and in some cases ketoacidosis.

Further functional analysis of the most common Kir6.2 mutation, R201H, indicated the homozygous mutation led to reduced sensitivity to ATP, which may cause decreased secretion of insulin from beta cells.

"Our results indicate that very small changes in the resting KATP current, due to small changes in ATP sensitivity, can impair insulin secretion sufficiently to cause diabetes in humans," the authors write.

- N Engl J Med 2004

A possible correlation?

Shy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.