Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princesslinda

Easter Ham?

princesslinda

This is my first Easter with Diabetes...we've always done a Honey-Baked ham or one cooked after drizzling the top with a can of Coke or even a pineapple/brown sugar one. How do you cook your ham? ...can I pour a Diet Coke on top? Not a big ham eater, but everyone comes for Easter lunch and gotta have ham.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Linda

Penny

Linda, my family expects the brownsugar/pineapple ham for easter, also potato salad, deviled eggs, and baked beans. I make it like I have always done, eat small servings of everthing. You can have the ham from the middle without all the gook on it and it's not too bad. I just use a little extra Novolog, but am always high the next day anyway. I do this about 3 times a year (Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter), so don't worry too much about it.

princesslinda

Thanks for the info Penny. I always wonder to people treat themselves on the holidays and, if not, how to you cook when everyone expects their favorites. As I said before, I'm not that into ham, so a little would go a long way for me...guess i'll make green beans and sweet potatoes so I can have some acceptable foods as well.

ladytaz

Yep, I do like Penny .... cook everything as I always have, and just eat lil bits of the 'bad' stuff ;) Do that whole filling up on the 'good' stuff first, of course!! ;)

mg_2204
...can I pour a Diet Coke on top?

Don't do it!!! I tried and it tastes absolutely awful. Awful with a capital A :puke:

I love Easter! A lot more than Christmas to be honest. And boy! Do I cook. Glaze your ham all you want. Or use regular Coke. Simply leave out the outside, the skin, the part that will be (mostly) sugary. I've never had probs myself.

tanyatype1

Hi Princess! I think that if you cooked your ham the same special way that you always do - you probably wouldn't get much of the glaze on a slice or two, right? I had ham tonight for dinner and just glazed it with reduced sugar maple syrup. (just for the family - not company) I made a mustard/tarragon sauce to dip the ham in which was tasty. (kids hated it!:)) I LOVE ham with the brown sugar, cloves, and pineapple - Mmmmmm. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.