Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tanyatype1

Daughter's BG is 9.2! (165.6)

tanyatype1

Hi everybody! I'm kinda freakin out because I took my daughter's bg just for fun and was shocked that it was 9.2. I took it again and it was still 9.2. I'm going to take it again first thing in the morning but I'm worried! Should I be worried? How high does a non-diabetic's bg go? She had a pop and 3 small cookies 2.5-3 hours before I tested her. We always joke that she's my "mini-me", but I don't want her to take after me with the big D! :( I'm probably worrying for nothing right?

Funnygrl

I doubt it's anything. That's a lot of carbs she had. Check the fasting bs. If that's above 100, she needs to get a lab drawn one.

wiseguy

While I certainly hope that you are "worrying for nothing" you definitely need to have that abnormal reading checked out. How old is your daughter?

BlueSky
... I took my daughter's bg just for fun and was shocked that it was 9.2. ... She had a pop and 3 small cookies 2.5-3 hours before I tested her. ...

A glucose load like that would peak within an hour. And the glucose level should be back to normal within two hours. So, yes, it does look high. If it is the early stages of T1, a fasting BG will probably be normal. I would take her to to have an anti-body test done.

This reminds me of when I did a random test on my daughter. She was in perfectly good health and showed no signs of illness. But the reading was 17.3 mmol/l. It was several hours after she had been drinking Coke. The next morning, her fasting level was 5.6, which is not much higher than normal. But a blood test reveled that the anti-bodies were sky high, and she was in early stages of becoming T1.

Having said all that, I hope that this is a false alarm. :eek:

Cyborg

Best wishes for your daughter. I'm about to wake my son up right now and test him...

He checked in at 90. I guess I should also test him a couple hours after a meal.

Keezheekoni

I second what June said... I tested my 3 year-old once and she was 194! I freaked out...then I washed her hands, she was 87. :D:rofl: The things I panic about...ugh!

tanyatype1

Hi guys! Thanks for your responses! I tested her first thing this morning and she was 4.6. An hour after breakfast she was 5.5, and three hours after that she was 7.2. Everything's probably fine but I'm going to keep a close eye on her. (she's 10 by the way) I thought that the 7.2 was a little high too considering that she hadn't eaten in 4 hours. Oh ya, her hands were washed and clean too!:) Thanks again everyone.

mg_2204

I have tested my family in the past, just out of curiosity... and yes people who don't have diabetes can (and will!) go very high. But they do down rather quickly too.

sofaraway

I've tested my girlfriend and the highest she has been is 8.7 after eating dinner. she has also been as low as 3.6 and she felt shakey at the time.

dancingwithbear

my son was feeling very wierd one night so i checked him. it was very high 346. so of course i freaked out and had him in the e.r. in about 5 mins. well at the hospital they poked and prodded i.v. and everything else. it was so bad. i remember reading him a D book for childeren about what to exspect. i could barely keep from crying while reading it to him. well his sugars droped and stayed low all night and a endo came to see him the next morning. after all of this the endo told me that childerens sugars can flexuate like this in minutes and with 15 to 20 minutes be right back to normal. so i hope that is what it is. good luck with your little one.

onaway77
Hi everybody! I'm kinda freakin out because I took my daughter's bg just for fun and was shocked that it was 9.2. I took it again and it was still 9.2. I'm going to take it again first thing in the morning but I'm worried! Should I be worried? How high does a non-diabetic's bg go? She had a pop and 3 small cookies 2.5-3 hours before I tested her. We always joke that she's my "mini-me", but I don't want her to take after me with the big D! :( I'm probably worrying for nothing right?

hi ... dont worry.... always wash your hands before testing you bg.... never use alchol wipes..... remember when a diabetic eats any carbs.. the bg goes up and comes back down...it some times takes 3 hrs... always cover the carbs you are going to eat with insulin .... good luck... dont worry.. i have been a diabetic for over 46 years ,... since i was 13 years old. and i survived... got married had 2 children (who do not have diabetics_) but i always watch what i eat... never any pasta, pizza, potatochips, just the good carbs.. i am also eat only vegetables. no red meat... good luck.. but always keep calm.

tanyatype1

Thanks everyone! Her numbers have been fine so I just over-reacted!:) When she was 6, a friend in her class was diagnosed with type 1. The little girl was in a diabetic coma for a week and almost died. Apparently, her BG was in the 60's! The little girl split her time between divorced parents, and her grandparents so I guess nobody noticed her drinking and peeing lots. (that's an understatement!) Now she has some brain damage. It's really sad! I just want to make sure that I'm on top of things!

Cyborg
never use alcohol wipes....

Huh? Why not? I use alcohol wipes to clean my fingers before testing, I just make sure the alcohol dries before poking myself.

sweetcheeks
Huh? Why not? I use alcohol wipes to clean my fingers before testing, I just make sure the alcohol dries before poking myself.

some people say it dries out the fingers and could cause them little pokey places... however, i got plenty of oil in every location except my elbows and feet, so, i dont have to worry about that lol

i always use alcohol or wash my hands one or the other, just because you can have food on your fingers and your results be higher etc... but yes ALWAYS let it dry! i learned this the ahrd way lol

cheryl

About three months ago, my oldest son bg was 172, after an hour of eating and for some reason it took a long time to go down, so I freaked about it a lot, then the next moring his bg was 72 and all his fastings every week have been under 90 so I just check his bg once a week in the morning when he first wakes up, it is the best thing to do, my other son had a funny one too before so I keep any eye on both of them once a week, they are getting older as I was 12 when diagnoised, so I am very nervous about it, my peditrician told me that she has some type 1 mothers that go balistic and the kids end up being fine, so I just decided to do it for myself as a piece of mind once a week,

Cheryl

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.