Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HJCollins

Advice needed about exersizing

HJCollins

Hi everyone,

Ive been pumping for about a month now and have finally plucked up the courage to start exersizing. I used to exersize before I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago however since then havnt really done much exersize. Im going to start swimming and know that ill have to remove my pump however im a bit concerened about when i should test and about how long i shuld leave my pump off. Ill probably be in the water for about 45mins to an hour taking it at a steady pace, but am a little worried about going hypo and about my sugars rising if im off my pump for too long. Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thankyou in advance

Heather

notme

Heather, I have gone snorkeling for well over an hour and removed my pump with very little problems.

Take your blood sugar about ten minutes before entering the pool. I would let your sugar run a bit higher, maybe in the 130 range. The exercise in the pool should keep your blood sugar in control. I would stop after about the first 20 minutes and test, then you can re-enter the pool if your blood sugar is good. If you are low, I would call it quits for the day and try again with your blood sugar higher the next day. Remember that a protein meal an hour or so before your exercise may help keep your blood sugar under control.

RLK

Nancy gave great advice! I can generally stay "unplugged" for 60-90 minutes without any trouble, provided that it's aerobic activity like swimming or jogging.

Have fun swimming and let us know how it goes!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.