Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Companies...

Dewey

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "hating" going on across the board for different pump companies. We need to remember that just because one person's experience was good or bad, doesn't mean that everyone's will be.

I've heard people say they had stellar service from a company, while others complained till the cows come home. We need to realize that each person's situations vary.

I love each & every pump company out there. I'm extremely grateful that we even have such technology & gadgets to help us lead better lives...but, I'm also very aware that NO pump or company is perfect, and each & every one of them has their share of flaws (be it lack of customer service or mechanical malfunctions) - like it or not. NONE of them are exempt from having negatives. That said, we must remember that what may be a problem to one person, may just be a non-issue (or even great) to someone else. Please, let's be respectful to one another & to the companies out there.

camjen1

I have to disagree!

Sorry Dewey there is only one company here that is getting the full brunt of the hate.

If I remember correctly in this thread http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/pumping-insulin/16594-wouldnt-this-feature-awesome-2.html#post197439 it was addressed by Tony that pump bashing would no longer be tolerated. Either some folks missed that or they simply can't read. Guess the rules were set just to add decoration to the forums.

NoelD
I have to disagree!

Sorry Dewey there is only one company here that is getting the full brunt of the hate.

If I remember correctly in this thread http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/pumping-insulin/16594-wouldnt-this-feature-awesome-2.html#post197439 it was addressed by Tony that pump bashing would no longer be tolerated. Either some folks missed that or they simply can't read. Guess the rules were set just to add decoration to the forums.

I agree. It's always the *SAME* people basing the *SAME* company.

notme

Thank you for the post Dewey. In the past I have also complained about the "bashing" issue. We all have our reasons for picking our pumps. Some people might find the reasons we chose silly while others do not. Any reason you picked the pump you did is valid and should not be dismissed by any one person on these boards.

Pumps are a life saving device for all of us. Bashing one company because you made a different choice is simply not helpful to anyone. We all have different opionions and we need to be respectful of one another on these wonderful forums.

jenet

I think this issue comes and goes, and different pumps have been the target from time to time. I know I quit posting for awhile last year because I felt like everytime I answered a post asking what people liked about their pumps, another person (no longer here) felt compelled to disagree with what I said I liked about my pump. :(

I firmly believe that different people have different needs and that any one of the available pumps *may* be a better choice for someone given their particular situation -- BUT -- the reasons I like my pump are the reasons I like my pump, regardless of others' preferences. It should always be a matter of personal choice. :)

cheers,

j

Funnygrl

I disagree. I've seen 2 companies be bashed. One person will "bash" a company, then the lover of company A will discuss in great length how bashing is wrong, then proceed to bash company B to make their point. :hmmmm2:

gettingby

Very good post Dew.

Like has been said before, ALL of the pump companies have their pros and cons. Being a prospective pumper, I have to look at the facts and try to disregard all of the bashing. Sometimes, that's hard to do with so many bashing this company or that company. While hearing about your experiences with company A or company B is a good thing, bashing the other companies is not.

I learned this years ago and it's my motto: To get respect, you gotta earn respect.

NoelD
I disagree. I've seen 2 companies be bashed. One person will "bash" a company, then the lover of company A will discuss in great length how bashing is wrong, then proceed to bash company B to make their point. :hmmmm2:

Hmmm is right, maybe the other 2 big companies were bashed before I came here, but I've only seen Minimed being bashed since being a member here.

Tony

Nancy summed this up the best, " Bashing one company because you made a different choice is simply not helpful to anyone. We all have different opinions and we need to be respectful of one another on these wonderful forums. "

I think if one can stop bashing company A then company B will not be bashed in return. It's very simple, If don't have anything nice to say about company A,B,C or whatever. Then don't say anything. If that's to difficult then only comment on the pump you use. Lets keep this a friendly environment please!

NoelD

I agree Tony, but some of the children are having a hard time understanding the concept....Sometimes I bet you feel like you're running a daycare here :D

dgrilli

We should be very careful and be very "PC" if venting your feelings on a pump company that you use, wouldn't that be ok?

Just asking a question.

I have read a lot of disgruntled over what I assumed was there equipment company.

What would constitute a Bashing?

someone

I disagree. I think the "bashing" can be good as long as the person "bashing" has a valid reason (constructive bashing). I also think that it can be beneficial to some people to also see the negative side of these companies. Companies need to be bashed, that is the only way they get better.

Do the forums really have to be temple of the pump companies? :adore: C'mon people, these are companies, they are out to make money.

Dewey
We should be very careful and be very "PC" if venting your feelings on a pump company that you use, wouldn't that be ok?

I agree here. People should be "PC" or respectful toward a company regardless of whether they like it or not. The thing is this: Because it's the Internet, people may take what's said wrong. It's often a matter of perception, or how it's taken by the reader(s).

Personally, I think it's important to hear ALL sides of a company before making a choice - the good, bad & the ugly. The Biggest issue is, commenting without offending & trying to remain tactful about things.

Do the forums really have to be temple of the pump companies? :adore: C'mon people, these are companies, they are out to make money.

The problem is when one person complains about a company, others become offended & a "war" of sorts ensues. Like I said above, nothing wrong with giving the good, bad & ugly - just saying that people need to be respectful on All sides - regardless of whether they like the companies or not.

JediSkipdogg

I see both sides to this and I know I'm to blame at times. I also know what thread brought this up.

Let me add that first my original post in that thread was not at all to bash a company. It was to promote some humor in a stupid mailing they sent and to complain about never being contacted by them. I was then hoping someone would give me some contact info which Gizmo did in the chat to his rep. Which I then contacted adn was simply referred to the rep down here.

Then it turned into a personal experience story (which I do not consider bashing.) I think it strongly shows that certain areas have better luck with reps. I even went on to "bash" my own company in that the rep I use to have screwed me over when I upgraded (well bought a new) pump 2 years ago.

I guess it entirely depends on what one considers pump bashing. Is posting your own bad personal experiences with a company "bashing"? If so there are ALOT of other topics that should immediately be closed on here. At what point when someone asks about a new pump is saying "my pump has this and this and this that so and so doesn't have" crouch into the "bashing" category? That's constructive feedback to an extent. I guess in my eyes any pro vs con post on a pump is immediately bashing the competition.

So at what point is anyone allowed to talk about personal experiences with a company and talk about something their pump has as a feature that others don't have?

JasonJayhawk

I hope I don't make anyone mad for saying this, but with all the Google advertising on the forum (in comparision, CWD, for example, makes $50K+ per month on their front page ads alone from drug/pump companies), I hope the decision to not allow "pump bashing" was not precipitated out of the desire for specific companies' prerequistes before advertising.

With ads such as, "A Victim of Diabetes?" and "Diabeticine", I'm hoping that an improvement on the 'types' of advertising will occur, but just as with any scientific journal, once the advertising starts up, bias can sneak in to the reports.

Call me paranoid, or maybe it's just because I'm writing this at 45 mg/dl right now. Do'h.

camjen1

What I have seen is a topic can be started and then towards the end it's all about MM and how they did this to me and what features the pumps don't have and how inaccurate certain things are. It's ALWAYS MM!!! And it's from people who aren't even associated with MM.

Jedi, yes the thread was started in humor and it was quite humorous but people thought it was their chance to take a stab at MM and the posts continued after that. Would it have been okay to butt my nose in the upgrading of the Cosmo thread and say the reason I didn't go with Cosmo is because their buttons fall off? Here these Cosmo users are having a decent conversation and I add my 2 cents in nowhere near related to the topic. How would that make me look?

If anyone had a negative experience with MM why are you complaining here? Shouldn't you be complaining to them? Or better yet if you have another companies pump then MOVE ON. Why waste life continuously b****ing about a certain pump company?

Oh and for those of you who don't agree with the advertising then step up and donate. I can't believe people have the nerve to complain about ads when this site has always been free and helpful since day one.

Doug

If it gets to the point that sharing experiences you had with a particular company is deemed bad, for whatever reason, then the value of the forum is decreased in my opinion

Minimed is the 800 lb gorilla in the industry, they sell more that every other maker, and have more aggressive sales people than every other maker.

As the leader in the industry, it shouldn't be surprising that there are LOTS of topics about them. And it shouldn't be surprising that other pumps features, and price and customer service are compared to theirs since once again they are "the team to beat" so to speak.

It shouldn't be surprising that there are more negative comments about MM because they have sold MANY more devices than the other companies so there are many more chances for both good and BAD experiences.

Its like car websites, the Ford fans love their Fords and often dislike Chevys, just because they are Chevys... Ford fans often love Ford just because they bought a Ford, its what they know and they want to feel good about their decision.

As far as the ads go, websites, the software that makes them run, the electricity, bandwidth and support they need are not free. Supporting the kind of traffic that this site gets is NOT cheap. Most sites use advertising of some kind to HELP pay the bills. The Google ads are NOT invasive, they dont pop up or pop under, they dont move or shake or make noise or flash. And we dont have to endure constant fund raising requests ...

Let the eyerolling begin :top: :smartass: :evil:

Lilly164

"Move ON" reflects my sentiments. A weird thing about negative stories is how long they hang on.

ME. "When did this happen".

Them. "Two years ago"

Get over it!!!

Doug
"Move ON" reflects my sentiments. A weird thing about negative stories is how long they hang on.

Them. "Two years ago"

Get over it!!!

Its posts like this that attack the messenger rather than the message that are inappropriate

Since you asked - it was last week

JasonJayhawk

Woah, now. I'm not complaining about the presence of ads.

I'm trying to say that when a scientific journal has advertising, the reader/end user must be careful with their reports, searching for advertiser bias.

My fear in why the "bad" reports of pumps are deemed "bad" on the forum is simply due to the hopeful desire that pump companies will see this as an open place to advertise.

I think that'd be great for the pump companies to advertise -- as I said, CWD makes $50K+ per month with their front page ads alone.

But if saying something "bad" about pump companies is due to the desire to support advertising, then that would be deemed as a conflict of interest. Essentially, "false advertising" -- making every pump company look like it's nothing but great service, no bad experiences.

Camjen, have you actually looked into the costs of running a web server/forum? Check out the prices for 1&1 for starters. -- I'm really curious what it costs, too!

Now don't put words in my mouth for attacking the advertising -- in fact, I only mentioned a couple of examples of the Google advertisements on the site. It was you who thought I didn't agree with the ads, not me. :)

I am only attacking the thought that the desire to avoid "bad talk" about pumps us coming from the desire to have sponsors for those same products. Does that make better sense? Sometimes it's hard for me to describe what I'm thinking.

My fear is a newbie will come on here and think the advertising is something that we as a forum "support". Do you support Diabeticine? Do you support that company that will claim to give you a "free glucose meter" for providing your insurance information, only to find out it was for some other purpose?

I'd love to see advertising from reputable companies, such as the pump companies -- but if the pump companies are going to require that we talk "nice" about them all, then once again, little good comes out of it.

In addition--if pump company "bad mouthing" is to be removed, shouldn't "continuous glucose sensor bad mouthing" be removed, as well? Where does the slippery-slope end?

Web sites like Planet Feedback allow people to post their experiences with a company. Where can people discuss their experiences with pump companies, openly and honestly?

Does that make sense, or am I obfusicating this even more?

Injecto

I love each & every pump company out there. I'm extremely grateful that we even have such technology & gadgets to help us lead better lives...but, I'm also very aware that NO pump or company is perfect, and each & every one of them has their share of flaws

Exactly. I am terribly grateful that there are three big pump companies out there (that I'm aware of here in Canada at least) and frankly the more the merrier. You see, from a simple business point of view having several companies focusing on one specific technology shows a few things. 1 - it demonstrates that there is a market for a product. 2 - it shows that there are several people who are genuinely interested in creating such a product.

In this instance, we, the diabetics are the consumers.

Where each company has a flaw you will see the others jump on that flaw to improve it: Better for consumers.

Where each company has a breakthrough idea/produce, others will attempt it for their own product: Better for consumers.

Each company is financially concerned with their own well being, which will make them try and gain more of the market share by offering the best technology ever with regular improvements: Better for consumers.

I can go on and on, but there is no need in my opinion. The point is made.

I for one love the fact that there are several companies involved in creating the "ultimate pump" as I can only benefit from the variety available. As a result there is no point in pump bashing. There should only be pump embracing.

JediSkipdogg
In addition--if pump company "bad mouthing" is to be removed, shouldn't "continuous glucose sensor bad mouthing" be removed, as well? Where does the slippery-slope end?

That's what I mentioned in my previous post and everyone must have missed that. There is bashing of CGMS on here quite often and sometimes even by the ones using that device. What's the difference if one is bashing about the customer service prior to getting the device of the device itself? It's all the same IMO.

Now, if I bash and say that I hate the menu layout on the MM, then that's wrong since I haven't used one for a long time and gotten use to the way they are layed out. That would be like me saying I hate a Mac OS for the Internet yet I've never used one.

The same about other companies also applies to mail order catalogs and doctors. Granted on the doctors one I rarely see names mentioned, if ever. However, on the mail order one there was one a few weeks ago about Liberty Medical and good and bad experiences with them. How's that any different?

I think Jason hit it on the head though about the #1 company. When you control 80% of the market you are going to take 80% of the bad mouthing which is 4 times more than the other companies combined.

Heck, wasn't there some Spirit bashing on here and isn't there an entire thread to the Spirit pump that is nothing but bashing it? And that's been up a month and I GUARANTEE YOU...NOBODY on here has probably even worn one yet, let alone own one.

And I guess nobody is allowed to say the Omnipod's Pod is huge unless they have actually worn one. Even if it looked like it was the size of a car.

What I'd like to see is some uniformity then instead of it just being about pump companies. Or it being some other way.

NoelD

Some seem to not realize that this is Tony's place, to run as HE sees fit. If you don't like his rules, suck it up, deal with it and stop whining, or simply move on.

JediSkipdogg
Some seem to not realize that this is Tony's place, to run as HE sees fit. If you don't like his rules, suck it up, deal with it and stop whining, or simply move on.

So far I see this thread as a GOOD "debate." This country and would would be nowhere if debates didn't happen. If everyone just let everything go on without questioning, then this world would really suck. So I think it's good in asking so viable questions as to why things are the way they are.

NoelD
So far I see this thread as a GOOD "debate." This country and would would be nowhere if debates didn't happen. If everyone just let everything go on without questioning, then this world would really suck. So I think it's good in asking so viable questions as to why things are the way they are.

Yea, you're right, question away by all means, but you may not like the answers or get any answers, and if not, so what? This is not government afterall, this is a privately owned forum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.