Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dewey

Companies...

notme

I think this topic is going way off the original meaning. Dewey, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think the whole point is we have threads that are opened (like this one) that goes way off subject. Somehow it turns into a pump bashing thread when the original meaning was completely different.

Personal experience about a certain pump or questions about a pump function are helpful and enlightening. But when the subject changes and it turns into a "bash a pump" thread (and don't tell me that doesn't happen) then it ceases to be helpful and it becomes a personal soapbox.

We all need to remember that when you are derogatory about a pump that someone has chosen, you will create a defense mechanism and nasty posts will erupt. I think Dewey is just asking for a little more forethought in posting and less "shoot from the hip" type postings. A little thought before posting and hitting the "reply" button could certainly help keep subjects on topic and not a personal attack on someones pump choice.

Dewey, I apologize now if I spoke for you and misinturpreted your original post.

Dewey
I think this topic is going way off the original meaning. Dewey, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think the whole point is we have threads that are opened (like this one) that goes way off subject. Somehow it turns into a pump bashing thread when the original meaning was completely different.

Personal experience about a certain pump or questions about a pump function are helpful and enlightening. But when the subject changes and it turns into a "bash a pump" thread (and don't tell me that doesn't happen) then it ceases to be helpful and it becomes a personal soapbox.

We all need to remember that when you are derogatory about a pump that someone has chosen, you will create a defense mechanism and nasty posts will erupt. I think Dewey is just asking for a little more forethought in posting and less "shoot from the hip" type postings. A little thought before posting and hitting the "reply" button could certainly help keep subjects on topic and not a personal attack on someones pump choice.

Dewey, I apologize now if I spoke for you and misinturpreted your original post.

Please don't apologize, Nancy. You said it all, and very well, I might add. I Never for one second, thought that Jedi's original post was intended to bash MiniMed. All he was doing was commenting on personal experience with regard to getting 24 brochures instead of one (which was silly/goofy, etc., LOL). I think from there, it somehow started getting off-topic & headed downhill....:tomato: Jason & Doug also made good points that MiniMed has most of the market share, and thus, they may be more prone to complaints when people experience frustrations.

Nancy, you made very good points in your post & I'm simply going to reiterate:

1. Please, people: TRY to stick to the topic at hand (reply as needed - heck, even throw in personal experience, but please be respectful of one another). If you deviate from the subject, then try to close the post with reference to the original topic.

2. Try to be kind & respectful to one another. Remember that just because you had a wonderful or poor experience with company x, doesn't mean that everyone will.

3. Remember folks, that this IS the Internet. What one person may consider funny, wrong, "bashing," etc., another may consider in a completely different light (i.e. not funny, right, personal experience, etc.).

4. Last, but certainly NOT least: Remember - ALL the companies that have worked hard over the years & that have created such advanced technologies are wonderful & I give props (kudos) to each & every one of them for their efforts (MiniMed, Animas, Deltec/Smiths, Disetronic/Accu-chek, Nipro, Dana Diabecare, Omnipod, etc). That said, we need to realize that NO one company is exempt from having flaws or issues! That includes ALL of the aforementioned companies....but when posting about an issue, try to be thoughtful of others who may like (or who have had good experiences with) a particular company.

I am leaving this thread open for further discussion, but if it deviates or becomes ugly, it Will be closed. Thank you Nancy, for your post & for your help!

jenet
That's what I mentioned in my previous post and everyone must have missed that. There is bashing of CGMS on here quite often and sometimes even by the ones using that device. What's the difference if one is bashing about the customer service prior to getting the device of the device itself? It's all the same IMO.

Now, if I bash and say that I hate the menu layout on the MM, then that's wrong since I haven't used one for a long time and gotten use to the way they are layed out. That would be like me saying I hate a Mac OS for the Internet yet I've never used one.

The same about other companies also applies to mail order catalogs and doctors. Granted on the doctors one I rarely see names mentioned, if ever. However, on the mail order one there was one a few weeks ago about Liberty Medical and good and bad experiences with them. How's that any different?

I think Jason hit it on the head though about the #1 company. When you control 80% of the market you are going to take 80% of the bad mouthing which is 4 times more than the other companies combined.

Heck, wasn't there some Spirit bashing on here and isn't there an entire thread to the Spirit pump that is nothing but bashing it? And that's been up a month and I GUARANTEE YOU...NOBODY on here has probably even worn one yet, let alone own one.

And I guess nobody is allowed to say the Omnipod's Pod is huge unless they have actually worn one. Even if it looked like it was the size of a car.

What I'd like to see is some uniformity then instead of it just being about pump companies. Or it being some other way.

hey, Hey, HEY! I love using my Mac on the internet! ;)

Seriously, I think this raises an important point. It is valuable to have a place to ask for other people's thoughts about all of the various companies' products and services. And I think that the discussion should include allowing people to share why they made the choices they made.

It does seem though that extreme care is sometimes necessary to avoid unintended inflamation. Which is why when I do comment on pumps, insulin types (NPH vs. Lantus), food preferences, etc, I try to include statements like "in my experience", "for me" and "your mileage may vary (YMMV)". Now that I think of it, maybe I should save time and put something like that in my signature block as a universal disclaimer. ;)

cheers,

j

Carwy

I have been reading about this and watching some of the threads where company bashing is going on. I believe that people should be able to state what is good and bad with a company in a constructive way. This is how companies learn. I believe this all came about because Jedi had posted about getting 24 brochures from MM. I do not understand their logic behind sending him 24 when 1 is more then enough for anyone on this forum. All of you on this forum ask questions about everything before you make a choice about the things you do involving your diabetes. The companies need to understand that you folks know more about all the different equipment for treating your diabetes then they will ever know. Most of the people who come up with this stuff get the ideas from you folks anyway.

So I think all you need to take a step back and look at the big picture. All companies use a person to bash another company to make them look good. This is the some thing they do in all parts of life. You as a group need to stand up and say, Hey we are not going to be used that way anymore. If you companies want to bash each other then leave me out of it. All I will do is give the people my pros and cons of the experiences I have had with all companies.

Confuzzled

This is an intresting thread but I was wondering if it is possible to be pointed to a thread were there were reasons given for not liking MM.

My Endo has quit reccommending them for a few reasons and I was wondering what pumpers reasons were for not liking them. I am not a fan of bashing or anything, just want to see others opinions on it.

TKS

fatfreddiescat

HOGWASH... We pay dearly for these tools of technology. And we listen to the hype attentively, and then try to make a decision based on what the 'pitchmen' (and women) tell us. "Oh sure, baby, you'll get free upgrades as long as you're under warranty." Well, then you have a chance for an upgrade, and the MONEY department tells you that they NEVER would promise such foolishness-do you think they are in business for FUN?

On and on. The pump providers in the US have got everyone running scared. Most folks I hear of are afraid that they will not end up with a pump if they don't walk lightly. I think its WRONG to take lie after lie, and promise after promise, and not hold these greedheads accountable. It costs about $100-$150 (or less) to manufacture a pump. But, by the time you pay for the hype shuckster, the order fulfillment people, the 'TRAINER' (I actually have a trainer flying 700 miles next week to set me up on my new Disetronic), and the phone 'techs' that will most of the time tell you you need to 'send it in', you have indeed charged the insurance company at least $2500-3000. So, the other $1500-2500 (pumps are retailed at $5000-6000, right?) is pure profit, and most of the time the shucksters don't even say thanks, and if they do, its a $0.04 form letter with bulk ($0.17) postage.

If I don't get what I want, then I will go back to shots. I WILL NOT BE PUSHED AROUND by the Pump Co Lackeys. For $6000 I can put a down payment on a home. It might be a mediocre place in the high desert, but hey! Its a home! MY pump and the people that represent it will perform, and if they don't, I W I L L H O L L E R LOUD & P L E N T Y O N T H E S E B O A R D S ! ! !

On the other hand, if the folks are polite, give great service, and the product works as promoted, then I'll just be quiet and roll along!

Doug
HOGWASH... We pay dearly for these tools of technology. And we listen to the hype attentively, and then try to make a decision based on what the 'pitchmen' (and women) tell us. "Oh sure, baby, you'll get free upgrades as long as you're under warranty." Well, then you have a chance for an upgrade, and the MONEY department tells you that they NEVER would promise such foolishness-do you think they are in business for FUN?

On and on. The pump providers in the US have got everyone running scared. Most folks I hear of are afraid that they will not end up with a pump if they don't walk lightly. I think its WRONG to take lie after lie, and promise after promise, and not hold these greedheads accountable. It costs about $100-$150 (or less) to manufacture a pump. But, by the time you pay for the hype shuckster, the order fulfillment people, the 'TRAINER' (I actually have a trainer flying 700 miles next week to set me up on my new Disetronic), and the phone 'techs' that will most of the time tell you you need to 'send it in', you have indeed charged the insurance company at least $2500-3000. So, the other $1500-2500 (pumps are retailed at $5000-6000, right?) is pure profit, and most of the time the shucksters don't even say thanks, and if they do, its a $0.04 form letter with bulk ($0.17) postage.

If I don't get what I want, then I will go back to shots. I WILL NOT BE PUSHED AROUND by the Pump Co Lackeys. For $6000 I can put a down payment on a home. It might be a mediocre place in the high desert, but hey! Its a home! MY pump and the people that represent it will perform, and if they don't, I W I L L H O L L E R LOUD & P L E N T Y O N T H E S E B O A R D S ! ! !

On the other hand, if the folks are polite, give great service, and the product works as promoted, then I'll just be quiet and roll along!

Dont forget the costs of R&D, Testing, FDA approval, and the costs of maintaining spares and shipping replacements .

notme

In your other post you stated your pump was out of warranty and Medtronic offered you an upgrade for $550.00. I honestly don't get the gripe. Medtronic offered you a $6,500.00 pump for a four year old, out of warranty, broken pump. It seems to me that this is a pretty good deal.

You can scream and yell to get what you want and you can even go back to shots before you pay the $550.00. Who will be hurt in the long run?

I hope the Disestronic pump is what you want and I truly do hope you are happy with the company. I would be a bit concerned about the lack of support in the area, but would do the same as you if I thought that there was nothing else available for me. Good luck. It will be great to hear your reports on your new pump.

fatfreddiescat

Wrong! Medtronic offered me an 'upgrade' that was for all intent and purpose a new pump. AFTER THE INSURANCE PICKED UP the $4K or $5K or whatever their contract price was, THEN they wanted me to come up with yet ANOTHER co-pay of $550, whereas every other pump company, after insurance, would offer me THEIR profuct for NO additional co-pay. Some called it a trade-in, some called it a VIP program, etc, but the end of the story is that Medtronic was the only one who wanted money in addition to the insurance. AND, there is a thing called customer loyalty and appreciation. Medtronic was the company I had used for years, thru 3 other pumps. I have paid PLENTY for co-pay and supplies over the years. I coulda bought thousands of shares of stock in animas for that dough! lol

notme

Isn't that your insurance co-pay? I had a deductible when I got my new pump also, but I had met my deductibles and there was no co-pay.

Phantom

Being new to this particular forum I find it interesting about the pump bashing. In particular I do beta testing for a well known mobile phone computer company. While developing the mobile phone hardware allot of us beta testers check forums to see what the users think of the product. It also gives us an insight on what needs to be upgraded and improved. So some bashing is good and some is bad depending on the moderation. But as the old saying goes: "someone's horror is someone's blessing". Being a new Ping user I find this very interesting since nothing ever changes when it comes to technology and likes and dislikes.

Harold

:topic:

Speaking of such. Have this new work phone the Samsung Rugby that is so user unfriendly. Think the company set it up that way, and well maybe we could blame AT&T for some of it as well. :motz: Physically the phone feels good in the hand and performs basic phone calling. However the company has every feature turned off. Makes since to turn off / block GPS on a phone people carry on field trips. Go to menu and click on the default icon and it's all shop for everything else the phone is capable of. Really boring and aggravating. Oh tried to read the online instructions on a PC, but the company blocked that function through AT&T. They are just asking for people to hack these things and use them as a modem for their laptops. The best thing about this phone is I can chuck it across the room and not worry about hurting it. It just keeps bouncing.

Dewey
Being new to this particular forum I find it interesting about the pump bashing. In particular I do beta testing for a well known mobile phone computer company. While developing the mobile phone hardware allot of us beta testers check forums to see what the users think of the product. It also gives us an insight on what needs to be upgraded and improved. So some bashing is good and some is bad depending on the moderation. But as the old saying goes: "someone's horror is someone's blessing". Being a new Ping user I find this very interesting since nothing ever changes when it comes to technology and likes and dislikes.

Hi Phantom and welcome here. You are right - I've even done my share of bashing. Of course, people perceive things in different ways (i.e. personal experience vs. bashing), and therein lies the problem.

Honestly, I truly do like ALL the pump companies, despite the dislikes I have with some of them. I think that if a person can do well on a product, then it (the product) is doing a good job for someone out there. :)

Once again, welcome to the forums and thank you for your input here. :shakehand

Phantom

Yes That about sums it all up....... Like myself I checked all the pump manufactures in looking at the design, features and specially the service. I drove the pump reps. up the wall concerning my questions and did not settle for their general answers. I can honestly say that they left the sessions more knowledgeable than before they saw me. This is why I decided on my current pump unfortunately I wish they all had bluetooth capability. Infra Red is very outdated and not very reliable in this day and age. Also since I do Iphone Applications and Development I want to design an application that can be used on the Iphone and the pump. In the next few weeks I will make a section on the forum looking on suggestions on what people would like in this application. Since there is very little out there for the pumper and diabetic. Also I would like to incorporate a food group carb. which would update continually update when there are new food product available. This why bluetooth is a good option for Iphone to Pump transfer. Just will have to see what shakes out of the tree when it comes to design.

RNjen

I think we get really sensitive to having our pump company "insulted" because it is our, or our child or loved ones life support.... We get a little attached, it is not a pepsi-coke type of thing... :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.