Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seanmarr

Syinges with FlexPens - Best way of drawing up the insulin

seanmarr

I am currently in hospital and am back on a suncutaneous insulin regime against my better judgement. Long story short they gave me the FlexPens yesterday but have no needles for them because there aren't enough staff in the pharmacy to dispense them, so I have been using the FlexPen as a vial and injecting air then drawing up the required amount.

But I have just had a brainwave - surely if I dialed up the required dose, stuck the syringe in the pen and then 'injected' the insulin into the syringe I would be able to get a more accurate dose and avoid the problems of air in the cartridge?

anyone got any experience of this?

xMenace

A one unit variance in your bolus rate should not be a life or death situation. Learn how to get rid of all that air.

seanmarr

I already know how to get rid of the air - one you've done the injection, dial up the dose youve just given, insert the syringe needle so the tip is just inside the resovoir, turn the pen upside down and then inject until all the air is gone, adding additional units if necessary. I know that, but the nurses don't.

I never said that a one unit discrepency in the bolus would kill me, I was only seeking to ensure I would be as accurate as possible given my situation.

I am only really seeing if anyone has faced this situation before and if they had the same idea, and if so what their experience was

June91

We feel your boredom stuck in that hospital - I'm sure all of us have been there and got the t-shirt, and I'm sure xMenace who is otherwise always a nice guy didn't really mean to be so impatient with you... ;) but honestly, you'd be better off playing with your messaging gadget than with your insulin! :T Hope you get out soon.

sofaraway

I've been doing this for a patient, using syringes to draw insulin from a pen cartridge. after you have taken any insulin out dialing up won't work and won't be accurate (I tried as an experiment). thats rubbish though that they couldn't get you any screw on needles for your pens.

Tattoo azz

I'd have to agree with Sofaraway on the "couldn't get you any pen needles" thing.Get your visitors to order you some from your Dr,a pity you can't do what i did once and walk out of hospital,get a bus home and walk into your Dr's surgery and explain the situation to him,he then wrote me a prescription which i took to the pharmacy.I then got a bus back to the hospital and got back into bed, the nurses never even knew i'd gone:T

sofaraway

Hehe Az, that would often be the quickest way to get anything from pharmacy.

it's ridiculous how long it takes hospital pharmacies do anything.

Hope you are out of hospital soon sean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.