Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

right2fight

auto immune diseases

right2fight

:( Luke didn't feel well yesterday morning. BSL 246, no ketones, sneezing, stuffy head and a scratchy throat. I still insisted he go to school and then if he was not any better, I would pick him up. Well after showering, he then complained of nausea. I never send him with nausea as stomach problems can be a sure sign of trouble ahead.

The darling receptionist, fit us in at 10:30, his regular pediatrician, was out sick, so we saw her associate, who we have seen before as Luke has been seeing these doctors since he was dx'd at 7. The doc ruled out strep immediately, with a device similar to that of a glucometer, as the nurse inserted a strip into the device, swabbed his throat and inserted the swabby into the device, waited about 10 minutes and the small window proved negative. Interesting as in the past strep tests have always been sent out to a lab.

Bottom line, the doc then sent us to the lab, as he believes it could be a strain of mono/epstein barr virus. Luke has experienced so much lately relating to auto immune diseases and it sucks. Herpes zoster, ringworm and now this.

Oh, and let me mention, the day before at school he tested his BS, 310, before a language arts quiz, he brought it to his teachers attention, some of the other ignorant students insisted he was using that as an excuse and so the teacher made him take the quiz. He received a grade of 60 and Luke is an "A" student in Langauge Arts and it is written is his IEP.

I notified the teacher after our doctor visit, and told her that she would indeed implement his IEP and that grade would be thrown out and her other students need a complete inservice in what it's like to have diabetes and attend school. I'm pissed as most of you know, we have been at the school discrimination thing for 6 years and these people here in the State of Florida who profess to be teachers, have serious issues reading,and implementing IEPs, education laws and healthcare plans.

This is the longest rant I have ever posted. Sorry!

Margaret

cheryl

Don't apologize for any of it, I would of been pissed off too the nerve ot the damn teacher and those snotty students, I get so angry sometimes, for people not knowing what it is like to deal with this, like we use it as some sort of an excuse, and we just love dealing with high's and low's and to worry about every little flippin thing that goes in our mouth, I am getting the paddle and I will spank those snotty kids grumble grumble,,,,just kidding but omg, what heck you have to go thru, if there is anything i can do just let me know seriously.....

Cheryl

Keezheekoni

I have a friend whose daughter has a severe autoimmune disease. She has hypergammaglobulinemia...or "the boy in the bubble disease". She's had IEPs and 504 plans every year (her daughter is in 11th grade now), and *every* year she ends up having to bring in her attorney, a child advocate and a social worker in to the superintendent's office for a meeting with him, the principal of the school and all of the child's teachers. Every year the teachers complain about how hard it is to follow just ONE child's 504/IEP and that they should have to do "this or that" to deal with said child.

One year it got so far that she actually filed suit against the district and that finally got the district attention. You know in America every child is entitled to "free and appropriate education". Unless you point that out to the superintendent of schools in your district, you're not going to get anywhere... :(

I happen to believe that with public schools, you must be the "squeaky wheel" when it comes to getting the best education for your child. And barring that, homeschool if you are capable.

rzrbks

1. As a teacher of some decades of service I can assure you that a large portion of teachers really are ignorant asses who haven't learned anything since they were potty trained (if indeed they actually were)

2. unfortunately, that same statement applies to a large minority of the population as a whole.

In both cases, a Large, make that, HUGE minority of people have the awareness of slugs----that is, they don't know and don't care until they are Personally effected, then and only then, does the issue become important.

right2fight

Thank you, Cheryl, your support means a lot.

Rikki, I've been that squeaky wheel for 6 years and you would not believe the malicious actions we have endured. Yes, I have homeschooled, but Luke deserves friends, if nothing else.

rzrbks, I wish I was in Hogwarts or a one room school house would be fine.

Thanks,

Margaret

rzrbks
rzrbks, I wish I was in Hogwarts or a one room school house would be fine.

The squeeky wheel does Indeed get more grease.

I actually attended several schools where there were two classes per classrom (as close to one room school house as you can get)

Generally, the teachers were mcuh better trained and much more cognizant of their pupils' needs.

That being said, keep in mind that was back in the dinosaur days and teachers actually controlled their own classrooms and there weren't sets of rules created by a retard from Texas or other beauracrats who had to worry more about NOT being sued than doing their jobs.

Alex's mom
:( Luke didn't feel well yesterday morning. BSL 246, no ketones, sneezing, stuffy head and a scratchy throat. I still insisted he go to school and then if he was not any better, I would pick him up. Well after showering, he then complained of nausea. I never send him with nausea as stomach problems can be a sure sign of trouble ahead.

The darling receptionist, fit us in at 10:30, his regular pediatrician, was out sick, so we saw her associate, who we have seen before as Luke has been seeing these doctors since he was dx'd at 7. The doc ruled out strep immediately, with a device similar to that of a glucometer, as the nurse inserted a strip into the device, swabbed his throat and inserted the swabby into the device, waited about 10 minutes and the small window proved negative. Interesting as in the past strep tests have always been sent out to a lab.

Bottom line, the doc then sent us to the lab, as he believes it could be a strain of mono/epstein barr virus. Luke has experienced so much lately relating to auto immune diseases and it sucks. Herpes zoster, ringworm and now this.

Oh, and let me mention, the day before at school he tested his BS, 310, before a language arts quiz, he brought it to his teachers attention, some of the other ignorant students insisted he was using that as an excuse and so the teacher made him take the quiz. He received a grade of 60 and Luke is an "A" student in Langauge Arts and it is written is his IEP.

I notified the teacher after our doctor visit, and told her that she would indeed implement his IEP and that grade would be thrown out and her other students need a complete inservice in what it's like to have diabetes and attend school. I'm pissed as most of you know, we have been at the school discrimination thing for 6 years and these people here in the State of Florida who profess to be teachers, have serious issues reading,and implementing IEPs, education laws and healthcare plans.

This is the longest rant I have ever posted. Sorry!

Margaret

May I ask what grade Luke is in? Alex is in 8th grade and having many problems. dx 3 months into 6th, homeschooled for 7th and struggling in 8th. I don't know if it's ever going to get any better.

Alex currently has a 504 and the school is pushing for an IEP but I'm not sure about doing it. The principal is an idiot and I'm so sick of fighting with that school.

Thinking homebound schooling (tutor comes to the home provided by the district) to finish the year but I feel like we got beat again.

Erin
May I ask what grade Luke is in? Alex is in 8th grade and having many problems. dx 3 months into 6th' date=' homeschooled for 7th and struggling in 8th. I don't know if it's ever going to get any better.

Alex currently has a 504 and the school is pushing for an IEP but I'm not sure about doing it. The principal is an idiot and I'm so sick of fighting with that school.

Thinking homebound schooling (tutor comes to the home provided by the district) to finish the year but I feel like we got beat again.[/quote']

Unless Alex has other problems (learning disabilities etc) Diabetes is NOT a reason to get an IEP.

What kind of problems is he having?

It would probably help if you went to each of his teachers and explained D and told them what his needs are. I see no reason why a relatively healthy kid with diabetes would need to be homebound schooled. (I was homebound for a while, and I don't think I suffered academically, it wasn't really great for me socially or emotionally)

Keezheekoni
(I was homebound for a while, and I don't think I suffered academically, it wasn't really great for me socially or emotionally)

People always say this, but I wonder what the parents were doing to get their kids into activities outside the home. Mine are very social and play with public school kids in the neighborhood, after school. My kids are in organized activities through the city and the YMCA. My kids aren't suffering socially or emotionally... There are also a ton of homeschool groups in every state where they have organized field trips and the like, and it's a good way for homeschooled kids to actually meet others like them.

56sushi

I am substituting in a special ed room right now. What I'd do for a parent who would advocate for their own child!!! (Actually, I have 2 out of 11) how can someone not even show up for conferences or ignore the daily home note???

Teachers can be stupid, worn down or just had the wool pulled over their eyes so many times that they don't respond until someone shakes them.

Luke needs you in his corner. It saddens me that a teacher would find she/he must respond to the whining of children in her classroom, instead following a preagreed upon plan. Just keep reminding her of his needs and accomadations.

He is lucky to have you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.