Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John66

Don' know if pre diabetic

John66

Hello i have just become a member of your forums , because i have had the symptoms of diabetes for a while and a lot of my family has diabetes. so i took my blood readings and they were before breakfast 5.0 6.0 8.8 and two hours after mid-day meal 9.8 15.5 21.4 . so i went to the doctors and he gave me a FPG blood test and it came out at 5.8 he said that if it had come out at 6.0 i would have had a OGTT test , so he said that i would have to have a FPG blood test in six months to see if i go over 6.0 Do you think that i should have a OGTT blood test now or wait for six months, as my readings with the meter were as high as 21.4 and because of my family history with diabetes on both sides of my family

With thanks John66

HeatherP

Might be a good idea. Some docs are more lax about their standards when it comes to blood sugar levels. I can't find my conversion chart, but I know 21.4 is dangerously high (we measure differently here in the States).

HeatherP

Harold

That is a tough question John. First we knowing absolutely nothing about you, do you have symptoms and over/under weight? Then did you wash your hands before checking your blood with a meter, very important? While the 8.8, 9.8, 15.5, and the 21.4 readings are completely unacceptable. A FPG of 6 would be great and I would not expect for him ask for a GTT unless it came out over 7. Now a HBA1c over 6 would call for a GTT. At least that's my opinion. To save your self some money you may check with your pharmacy or chemist and see if they have any HBA1c at home kits.

Jenny

John,

I personally think you should get a second opinion because as Harold said, those numbers are unacceptably high. with the 15.5 and up, that would actually maybe be in the Diabetic category instead of the pre-diabetes one. anything over 11.1 or 200 in my conversion would be considered diabetic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.