Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penny

Capsule Endoscophy

Penny

The doctor's office just called, and this has been scheduled for next Friday. They explained, and I looked it up online, but that doesn't help as much as hearing from someone who has done it. So is there anyone? I am a little worried about having to pay for this as it is very expensive. They said the insurance has approved a certain amount, but we may have to pay part of it. I will probably check to be sure, but if it is not paid for, I am not sure I want to put that burden on the family budget (there have been way too many medical bills because of me lately). The doctor made it sound like a necessity, but if after all the tests I have had and they have found no reason for my anemia, maybe it is just time to treat it and quit trying to find out why????? I need some advice here.

soso

well it sure sounds fascinating.... I would say if it's not too much money to pay, go ahead and do it as it may solve the puzzle of the anemia and will let you be absolutely sure there are no tumors hiding..

Do you just eliminate it and flush after or do they try to reclaim the camera..I would be tempted to want to find it and have a good look at it..dare say they are not reusable..I least I hope not!

Perhaps they feel it is a necessity because something has to be causing the anemia? If it were a small tumor, it would be well worth finding it when it is small...I would think the medical bills and consequences might grow a lot if they don't catch it....

Anyway, I understand your concern and I am sorry you are having to go through this... I will think good thoughts for you...

ss

Penny

From what I was told, the will strap some kind of device to my stomach that I will wear for 8 hours. I will swallow a capsule (after going through the cleansing routine the day before) and it will transfer images to the device. They said I would not need to recover the capsule, but it will "pass". If I recover it, what would I do with it.....anyone want me to mail it to them.:D :D :D Maybe I can get a picture of it and post it. :D Sorry, just pictured myself "hunting" for it.:T I will do the dang test! But I am done after this! I am so tired of it all!

notme

Penny, Is there a reason that they are doing this type of endoscopy instead of the typical one? I am so sorry you are having this problem.

I also was anemic for years due to heavy periods (that is the only reason they could find). You will feel so much better when they figure out how to treat your anemia. I had a blood transfusion that helped for awhile. I managed to become anemic again, but I did realize how good you can feel when your blood count is near normal.

Penny

Hi Nancy! :) I had the other one last week along with a colonoscophy. I think they are worried they are missing cancer, as I had the bladder cancer. This is one of several bouts of anemia, in the last few years....they give me a quick fix, and I am better for awhile, then it is back, only worse. I hope they find some reason, so they can fix it for good, I am tired of dealing with it all.

notme

I am sure Penny. If you have exhausted all other ideas, they you probably just need to do the test. Easy for me to say huh?

Good luck Penny. I hope they find the answers for you (just not cancer) and fix this once and for all.

nneighbour

Find it and keep it. Or even better, mail it back to the doctor or the insurance company and ask for half your money back since you've done all the trouble of returning it to them!

Penny
Find it and keep it. Or even better, mail it back to the doctor or the insurance company and ask for half your money back since you've done all the trouble of returning it to them!

Maybe I can sell it on EBAY! :D

shockme

hi penny!sorry your'e having to go thru all this!:( ya might get big bucks for the capsule on ebay-some people will buy anything...:D good luck and let us know the results.i'll be thinking about you.take care,trish

Funnygrl

Why are they doing a capsule endoscopy instead of a standard one? I've never had a capsule one, but I've had 2 standard ones.

Ah, never mind, saw your answer.

Penny

Well I am sitting here with a big black case strapped to my stomach. It contains a box with a blinking blue light. There are "sensors" taped all over my stomach. I swallowed the capsule with little trouble, it is not much bigger than my Potassium tablets. The hardest problem is I am so hungry. I had to fast all day yesterday, and was not allowed to drink anything after 10 last night. I can have clear liquids after 10:30 this morning. My BS ran really low all day yesterday, at 10pm, I had to drink 2 juice boxes to get it to 100 before I went to bed. This morning, with no carbs for 24 hours, it was 168. I only took 1/2 of my Lantus last night though, and did not take my morning injection at all yesterday, I also did not have any Novolog. I will go back to the doctor to have everything removed at 4:30. I have made up my mind if they don't find anything this time, I am done. I am so tired of all this stuff!

Penny
hi penny!that musta been kinda weird,huh?when do you get the results?let us know.take care,trish

I am supposed to call for results on Friday. I don't know if I passed the capsule or not. I was told it sometimes takes 2 weeks. They didn't seem to care if I looked for it or not.

Penny
Hehehehe......ummmm that blue flashing light you saw last night at midnight????? I think that was it.

That is so funny! Last night I had a bad "insulin dream".........there was a trolly bus that was flashing blue and giving off blue lightening thingys! Scared me awake!

Penny
So were you not able to eat the whole time the capsule was taking pictures?

After 2 hours I was allowed clear liquids.....coffee, juice,broth, sugarfree jellos, etc.

volleyball

Have you found the camera yet? I'd keep it myself. tell everyone it's a spy camera. You could even keep it in your "photo album":eek:

Penny
Have you found the camera yet? I'd keep it myself. tell everyone it's a spy camera. You could even keep it in your "photo album":eek:

If it "passed", I was not aware of it. It's funny, several people have asked me for it. I told them if they wanted to come look for it everytime I "made a deposit", it was OK with me. :rofl: :rofl:

Penny
:D Did I fool them! Seriously, they found benign polyps and red spots.....I kind of wonder how the camera told them they were benign, but doesn't matter, I am done. They didn't see any evidence of bleeding.

jerryn

Hey.. wow that beats having a cable running up there with a camera! Wow.. if I ever need one I'm gonna ask for the capsule!

Maybe you can get the pictures too! They will make cool postcards!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.