Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staceyy

Tips From A Diabetic Pastry Chef

Staceyy

I'll make further posts re: sugarfree baking in the future, but for those who prefer no processed sugar there is a good cookbook titled, "Sweet and Sugarfree", by Karen E. Barkie. I'm not sure if its still in print but I'm sure it can be ordered from Amazon or Half Priced Books on the web. Her desserts use fruits and fruit juices for the sweetener. She'll use mashed bananas, orange juice, applesauce etc. as the sweetener. She does use white flour in a lot of her baked desserts, but you could substitute other flours if you would like.

volleyball

Stacy, have you made oatmeat cookies using almond flour? They taste great but don't stick together well. Maybe mixing flours would help.

I am also interested if you grind your own flour. I am looking into this as I don't bake often and any whole grain flour will spoil quicker than the enriched stuff.

ps Your posting is the reason for my joining. Keep up the good work

Staceyy

No, I have not tried to convert any cookie recipes yet.I'm sure the almond flour would work like a charm mixed. I like the idea of grinding flour, I have also toyed with the idea, but haven't tried it. Please let us know how it goes. Presently, I freeze all of my flours and take them out as needed. Thanks for your kind words.

I was just in my local supermarket and noticed that Pillsbury has both a yellow and chocolate cake mix with half the sugar of their regular cake mixes. The cake mixes contain Splenda.

allrecipes.com has a sugar free frosting recipe that contains cream cheese and a box of sugar free pudding for the sweetener. I haven't tried the recipe yet but it has good ratings. Here is the link:

Allrecipes - Recipe Search

Add some sugar free ice cream and ENJOy!!!

slipperyelm

I was just eating some sugarfree instant pudding today and thought that it might serve well enough as a cake frosting. As a type 2 not on insulin, I try hard to keep the carbohydrates down, so I prepare the pudding with a cream diluted with water. The missing protein and milk-sugars portions do negatively affect the "body" and taste of the pudding, but it does thicken well and is acceptable to me. Personally, I would not serve it to company, though. But, yeah, I think a normally made sugarfree pudding would be fine on cake.

Another alternative for frosting is whipped cream made with your favorite sweetener. Or a merengue. Or do as we often did when I was a child--no frosting at all on cake. It is sweet on its own, after all. If you'd like to further moisten a plain cake a bit, just stir a bit of vanilla into cream and drizzle that over the cake.

(Cake is not on my own personal menu, but I'll make it for others how ever they'd like it. :) )

Staceyy

I'm sorry, I noticed the original recipe I included for the $250 Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie is not the recipe I typically use which includes oat flour (blended oats). Here is the correct recipe which makes a large quantity of cookies. You can cut the recipe in half or bake and freeze the extra cookies. Again, I would suggest mixing the white flour with soy flour, reducing the sugar, using Smart balance or canola butter in place of all butter, and using sugarfree chocolate chips and chocolate bar.

Recipes: Neiman Marcus $250.00 Cookies recipe -

My favorite tip regarding milk is to always buy whole milk but dilute it with half water to get half the carbs and half the price. There isn't much of a difference in carbs between whole milk, 2%, skim etc. There is a difference in the fat content and the taste. A cup of whole milk contains about 12 carbs as does skim etc. the difference in carbs is very minimal and the price of the milk is pretty similar. You could use two cartons to dilute your milk but I prefer to dilute it as needed. If a recipe calls for 1 c milk, I'll pour 1/2 c whole milk into a measuring cup and add 1/2 c water. Essentially what I end up with is close to 2% milk. I use this ratio whenever milk is called for in my house. I use it for cereal, cooking, baking etc. We find the taste is comparable to 2% and no one has ever complained or noticed the difference. Its cut our milk costs in half. Its cut our milk carbs in half.

Staceyy

Other desserts besides pastries I like to eat are:

Sugarfree jello with whipped cream

Sugarfree puddings with whipped cream

Sugarfree ice cream with chocolate sauce

Here is my recipe for chocolate sauce:

Chocolate Sauce

1 c Hershey's cocoa (unsweetened)

2 c Splenda

1 1/4 c hot water

dash of salt

2 tsps vanilla

In saucepan combine first 4 ingredients. Bring to boil and boil for 3 minutes until thickened. Add vanilla and stir. Serve warm over ice cream. Store in refrigerator.

I like to serve the chocolate sauce warm over ice cream topped with nuts and whipped cream.

I'd like to share this cute anecdote with you:

Last night I was pretty frustrated with the recent events in my life. My dh is a truck driver, and while on the road a couple of weeks ago, he became very ill and had to be rushed to the emergency room, where he was diagnosed with diabetes and given a shot of insulin along with a prescription for Metformin.

I had been given my own diabetes diagnosis almost 2 years ago.

Shortly after my husband's diagnosis, he lost his eyesight due to the diabetes which means he cannot drive again until his sight has been restored. Truck drivers also are not allowed to drive while taking insulin. So needless to say, I have been stressed (to say the least). So in my frustration while on the computer, I dashed off a quick email venting my feelings. I addressed the email to GOD and I hit Send. Don't ask me why I did this, but a couple of seconds later I received the following return message:

GOD - This member's mailbox is full.

Your mail has not been sent. Please correct the problems listed and try again.

I could not stop laughing, it lightened my mood a bit. I guess I'm not the only one who thought of emailing him.

chef07

Stacyy, I believe the book you mentioned is called Fruit Sweet and Sugar Free. It is a great book, but as you stated it may not be in print at this time. One of the tips I use in my baking is using raisin water, this is simply obtained by heating water and placing raisins in it until they are plump, drain off the water and you have a great liquid fruit sweetner for your recipe, it works expecially well in the recipe you are using the raisins.

Another alternative sweetner that I have had alot of success with is Agave Nectar, for every cup of sugar a recipe calls for you use 1/3 cup of agave nectar, this is alot easier for the system to absorb.

I am not a diabetic, however my mother was and I converted all the recipes she had taught me over the years to diabetic friendly so that she could still enjoy her favorites during family celebrations.

Thanks for this thread, it is very nice of you to share your tips with everyone.

Chris Graham

Hey Stacy!

I finally made your banana bread...it was so good! I forgot the oats so I used the whole wheat flour in its place. I really liked the whole wheat flour and I am looking forward to using it in other things.

Thanks for inspiring me to try something new!

Staceyy

Chef07 great tips, I'll have to try them. Chris, I'm so glad you liked the banana bread. Its great you used the whole wheat flour in place of the oats, this is exactly what you're supposed to do, manipulate the recipes to conform to your tastes and blood sugar requirements. And Shockme, thanks for asking about my husband, his eyesight is improving but not well enough for him to return to work yet.

DonnaB

Thanks Stacy for these recipes. I've just copied them off and am giong to give the muffins a try. I'm newly diagnosed also and a major foodie...even to the point that I used to do restaurant reviews. This has certainly been an adjustment for me. I haven't tried any baking since diagnosis, but really am looking for good cookie recipes. I've been considering trying the Splenda in chocolate chips with whole wheat. They should taste better than the sugar free cookies at the grocery store which have an awful after taste. Anybody have a good cookie recipe out there?

Staceyy

Cinnamon

Try adding cinnamon to your waffles, muffins, pancakes, quick breads, baked fruit pies and other baked goods. One half teaspoon of cinnamon per day has been shown to lower blood glucose levels by up to 20% in some individuals.

DonnaB

Dear Staceyy: I just made your banana bread this morning and it was positively delicious. I have not been thrilled with some of the other recipes I've tried from other sources, but this banana bread is suprisingly as good as my old recipe, which had lots of sugar,white flour etc. I followed yours to the tee and it came out just perfect. I'd love to know what the carb and sugars count is for a slice but I'm sure you don't know that. Any more tested recipes and I'm be trying them for sure. I'd like to find some really good cookie recipes too. Thanks so much for posting your recipes.

princesslinda

Donna, check out the previous thread on Paula Deane's flourless peanut butter cookie...it's been posted here a couple of times and is easy and very good.

Staceyy

I received permission to paste this recipe and the results from a forum member who pm'd me:

The cookies turned out GREAT!. But I did not go exactly with the recipe.

I found another recipe at Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - Allrecipes Where you told me to go. That recipe would of made too many cookies so I looked on that Allrecipes site and found a recipe called Chocolate Raisin and Oatmeal Cookie Mix.

Chocolate Raisin and Oatmeal Cookie Mix Start to Finish: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup all-purpose flour -1/2 whole wheat and all purpose to make the 3/4 C.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar -used all the splenda brown sugar.

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or -ground cinnamon

1 cup chocolate-covered raisins -I did not have. I sub. 1/4 C.no sugar choc. chips & added 1 C raisins.

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans -I added 1 cup.

I added 1 tbls. milk

Directions

1. In a clean 1-quart jar or covered container, layer oats, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spice, raisins, and nuts. Seal; store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month. Makes enough mix for about 3 dozen cookies.

To make Chocolate Raisin Oatmeal Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. In a large mixing bowl, stir together contents of jar with 1/3 cup softened butter, 2 eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until well combined (dough will be soft). Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.

It is a mix to give as a gift, but I just made it....Threw it all together. Made a hole in the dry ingr. and mixed the eggs, milk and vanilla in the hole and beat the wet ingr. first and gradually mixed it all with beater. I hand stired and added the raisens, choc. chips and the nuts.

They are very very good. How they will be tomorrow I shall see....smile! I put them in a closed cookie jar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Betty

sglove58

WOW!

I was newly diagnosed just a little more than three months ago, and I do a lot of info-checking on the internet...I am so lucky to have run across this thread of amazing information!

I am glad to say I'm not the only one to join this forum because of this particular thread! Thank you so much Staceyy!

I am definately going to try that banana bread! :)

I joined another forum about two weeks ago, and it hasn't really picked up like this one seems to have done. I am interested to see what else is out there!

Please know how much I, like so many others I'm sure, appreciate places like this to come for info, support, delicious recipes and the such...

Thanks for the info - I hope to be able to contribute!

Sarah

sweetjami

I have actually spent the day trying to find an oatmeal muffin recipe that was hypoglycemic friendly...geez, should have come here first. Stacey, thank you for being willing to share your wonderful experience with us amateurs...Much much appreciated! I actually have a couple recipes I will dig out that work using substitutes or cutting down on carbs.

jami

leolion50

Staceyy, can you help me with a good meal plan for lunch and dinner, I'm having a hard time with finding recipes that are difference.

Charles1
Shortly after attending culinary school to become a pastry chef, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I was devastated as I absolutely loved to bake and loved to eat sweets. I experimented with a lot of artificial sweeteners and was mainly disappointed with the results. I still continue to experiment and have had some successes also which I would like to share with you.

I make my own low carb flours which I use to prepare pancakes, waffles and muffins. I keep the following on hand at all times: white flour, wholewheat flour, soy flour, whole almonds and, old fashioned oats.

If I'm making muffins, I will follow a traditional recipe that we'll say calls for 3 cups flour. I will look at my flours and might decide to mix 1 cup white flour, 1 cup wholewheat flour, and

1 c soy flour together. Sometimes I will use all wholewheat flour or any mixture I decide on. I will sometimes grind almonds to make almond flour or oats to make oat flour. I caution you not to use soy flour in your waffle or pancake batters as it tends to stick too much to the griddles. I have not as yet tried my combination flours in cookies, cakes or piecrusts.

If a recipe calls for oil, I will use canola oil.

I am not a big fan of putting artificial sweeteners in most baked goods as it alters the texture and flavors too much and makes things stick to the pan. When baking cakes or muffins therefore, I prefer to cut down on the amount of sugar rather than add all artificial sweetener or even a combination of sweetener and sugar. Yesterday for instance, I baked a large batch of muffins Amish Raisin Bran Muffins that called for 3 cups of sugar. The recipe makes 6 dozen muffins. I reduced the sugar to 1 cup of sugar with very satisfactory results.

I've found a combination of half sugar and half Splenda does work well in Sweet Potato and Pumpkin pies. This also will work well in baked bread and rice puddings (I use brown rice) and in baked custards. I also use half sugar and half Splenda when I bake pies such as apple, pineapple, peach and berry. These pies taste pretty much the same as if I had used all sugar.

So I basically mix my flours, use canola oil, and reduce sugar or mix sugar and sweetener together (usually half and half) I do this with just about any standard recipe. And the results are pretty much the same and even sometimes better.

I'm still experimenting, and from time to time will post some of my other results but I hope these tips will help. I am committed to making superior low carb products for my husband (who has also just been diagnosed with diabetes) and my family.

thanks Staceyy exactly what i was looking for.

leolion50

Stacey, I went to your site The Diabetic Pastry Chef. Oh, you have a sweet tooth too, I see, please don't stop sharing your recipes with the ones that really love your ideas and it really does help most of us like myself. If you would like my email address to send me recipes that would work for me as long as it works for you?

Chef Barrae

Great thread! I have a tip to offer, if I can. I make my own brown sugar by combining one cup of Splenda with 2 to 3 tsp. of molasses. Mix it thoroughly and store in a cool, dry place. You can adjust the molasses to taste for dark or light brown sugar.

Sometimes I will substitute sugar free apple sauce for fats in a recipe. You get the same mouth feel and its low fat. It does add carbs though so be cautious.

luckharm

Hi,

I just experimented with ricotta cheese and made a great snack. Just take about 1/2 cup ricotta and sprinkle some cinnamon and Splenda on it. Them pour some half and half or milk on top and mix all together to make a creamy consistency. Now, spray some whipped cream on top and sprinkle with nuts. It was delicious and only 2g in carbs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.