Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staceyy

Tips From A Diabetic Pastry Chef

cookiemaker54

Hallelujah!!! As you can see by my name I'm a cookie fanatic. Actually I love just about any type of baking but I got my nickname from all the cookies I've baked in my life. Being diagnosed as a Type-2 last Fall really threw me into a tailspin. The rural area I live in doesn't have a heck of a lot of resources available, not even 1 support group, so I turned to the 'net for advice, information, and RECIPES!! I found this place by accident while researching fresh pineapple and am I glad I did.:)

Stacyy, you are where God meant you to be. I have a feeling that we will all be buying your products before too long along with your cookbooks. Keep up the great work!

MCS

Maybe a crazy idea, but I have tried grinding DreamFields pasta back into flour and using it in peanut butter cookies. Well it worked, but the texture was rough and gritty. I didn't have the appropriate grinding tool to get the pasta back into flour.

I am also curious if you could grind the new Special K high protien cereal back into flour and bake with it.

I have found that green bananas have a high percentage of resistant starch, body can't digest resistant starch. Made Flax seed bars with this in mind, works rather well.

Sorry if I took this post off track.

vol1
Other desserts besides pastries I like to eat are:

Sugarfree jello with whipped cream

Sugarfree puddings with whipped cream

Sugarfree ice cream with chocolate sauce

Here is my recipe for chocolate sauce:

Chocolate Sauce

1 c Hershey's cocoa (unsweetened)

2 c Splenda

1 1/4 c hot water

dash of salt

2 tsps vanilla

In saucepan combine first 4 ingredients. Bring to boil and boil for 3 minutes until thickened. Add vanilla and stir. Serve warm over ice cream. Store in refrigerator.

I like to serve the chocolate sauce warm over ice cream topped with nuts and whipped cream.

I'd like to share this cute anecdote with you:

Last night I was pretty frustrated with the recent events in my life. My dh is a truck driver, and while on the road a couple of weeks ago, he became very ill and had to be rushed to the emergency room, where he was diagnosed with diabetes and given a shot of insulin along with a prescription for Metformin.

I had been given my own diabetes diagnosis almost 2 years ago.

Shortly after my husband's diagnosis, he lost his eyesight due to the diabetes which means he cannot drive again until his sight has been restored. Truck drivers also are not allowed to drive while taking insulin. So needless to say, I have been stressed (to say the least). So in my frustration while on the computer, I dashed off a quick email venting my feelings. I addressed the email to GOD and I hit Send. Don't ask me why I did this, but a couple of seconds later I received the following return message:

GOD - This member's mailbox is full.

Your mail has not been sent. Please correct the problems listed and try again.

I could not stop laughing, it lightened my mood a bit. I guess I'm not the only one who thought of emailing him.

Thanks for this. Have been craving chocolate sundae.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.