Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

Why does my Metformin smell funny?

Rob43

Hi, I have always wondered why my pills smell funny. I wonder if other people have the same smell with Metformin? I take two of these horse pills a day which are 1000mgs each.

Thanks, Rob.

Emm

Mine too ... they actually smell a bit fishy! Eww! I keep my nose well away from the pot when I open it now.

I'm sure they never used to smell like that - but maybe I just never noticed. My last three pots have been the same so I know it's not just one batch.

Gross, isn't it?!

ladytaz

Yes, it's gross, and I never noticed it until someone on here mentioned it some months back. LOL What I wanna know is WHY y'all are smelling your meds?? LOL Is this a common practice? Sniffing any container you open? *giggles* I'm sorry! I just had to ask! As I said, I never noticed it before, until someone else mentioned it .... and then, it was that one time only! I'm not in the habit of sniffing containers I open. Well, unless it's come from the fridge and I'm unsure if it's still good or not!! ;) LOL

lilituc

It depends on the manufacturer. If it bother you too much (I had to hold my nose when I took them), you can ask for a different brand of generic.

Penny

The only one of my pills that have any odor at all is my iron pill.....I smell it even after I have swallowed it....yuck! My insulin smells like bandaids, though.

Rob43

Hi, I cann't miss the smell because when I put my pills in my pill box I smell it. You wonder why it so smells bad.

Rob

lilituc
Great! Now most of us WILL smell our next dose!!

Believe me, if it was the smelly kind, you'd know it already! ;) It smells like moldy pee to me...

hannahanne

I just sniffed my pills. Mercifully they don't have any smell and especially a fishy smell because fish does not agree with me. It must have to do with the particular company that manufactures them.

notme

I just started metformin a few days ago. I had to go smell it. Mine had a light odor of....hmmm sort of fishy. I would not notice it unless I really stuck my nose it in though. Gee Thanks. :D

Rob43

Hi, I'm glad my metformin is like everyone elses that smells like fish. I was worried it might be a problem with it.

Thanks, Rob

mary fisher
Hi, I have always wondered why my pills smell funny. I wonder if other people have the same smell with Metformin? I take two of these horse pills a day which are 1000mgs each.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi, I thought everyone could smell it, but they cant. What happened to me was after 6 months of feeling good on it but the smell got worse it decided to attack my body. After 3wks on mega antihistimines(1st thought it was ragweed) then 9 days of steriods. iam finally pulling through. Scariest thing I've ever been through. Should have listen to my nose

beau91

I must have another generic form.Mine Smells cherry I hate the taste of it .I notice the smell after they change the pill for the generic did'nt have the regular one . Bye Ricky Different Manufacturor maybe in Canada?

BigcityRich

OK....I just stuck my nose in the bottle. I agree they are kind of fishy smelling. I never noticed before.

To me nothing smells worse than those stinky multi vitamins. Those are the worst!:eek:

Rad Warrier

Either my sense of smell is weak or the metformin we get here in Canada is almost odourless. Here, the metformin is lily white, perfectly circular, and easy to cut into two halves each of 250 mg at the central dividing line. When I used to live in the US, in eastern Massachusetts, the tablets used to be slightly yellowish, a little oblong and because of the absence of a central dividing line, not that easy to cut into two perfect halves.

Regards,

Rad

Debbie Sue

My Met smells too, but to me it smells like dirty socks. My daughter said it smelled like old s*x to her. I was shocked and asked her how she knew what old s*x smelled like. She definitely had to clam up after that. Got her good! :T

davef

Well I had to go sniff my Metformin, I take Glucophage and as far as I can discern it is odourless.

I just waiting for the post where somebody inhales too deeply trying to smell the tablet and ends up with one lodged in their nose!

kgm0612

Ive been on Metformin for 5.5 years and never got that "fishy" smell until several months ago when my pharmacy switched manufacturers.

I picked up my refill and when I got home I noticed the pills were round. I opened the bottle and OMG......smelt like fish food! I took them for a few days and then mentioned to my pharmacist that I did NOT like them at all. He informed me that they had switched manufacturers and he had gotten many complaints. He ordered the original ones I had been taking and took back the others.

The pills I take are oval in shape, white, has MET on one side and APO500 on the other. I immediately check the bottle before leaving the counter at the pharmacy.

Karen

Cassini

I have noticed the smell from the beginning, mine are fruity smelling.. they have blackberry flavouring added:

quote from Body and Health, Canada.com

These are Gen-Metformin tablets (generic)

500 mg

Each white, round, biconvex, film-coated tablet, with blackberry scent, marked "MF" scoreline "1" on one side and "G" on the other, contains metformin HCl BP 500 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: blackberry flavour, macrogol, magnesium stearate, povidone, talc and titanium dioxide.

Isometric

I don't notice it all the time...but then I try to avoid inhaling when I open the bottle those two times a day. I especially avoid trying to taste it, so I'm no help there, but I do agree with the folks who've mentioned their insulin smelling like bandaids - I've caught that scent a few times before :)

walleyedave

They smell that way because they have cod liver oil added to them so that people that are visually challanged can easily identify them, i have been told . I much prefer the blackberry scented ones to the cod liver oil ones.

johno02

I have noticed the bad odor also, and it seems to depend on the brand, I am currently taking tavlets from APOTEX, and they have very little or no odor. Walmart Mail services has changed mine several times, some of the others were really bad.

Talk about odors, start taking cinnamon capsules!! Take one of them, and belch cinnamon all day!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.