Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

Why does my Metformin smell funny?

dlstanf2

Hi! New poster here.

I've been taking metformin for years and have never noticed the smell. However, I've gone from caplets to round(aspirin like) and now I smell the medicine, both in my bottle and my urine. Was going to call my pharmacist about pills going bad, but the forum answered my questions.

Anaisa127
Hi, I'm glad my metformin is like everyone elses that smells like fish. I was worried it might be a problem with it.

Thanks, Rob

Likewise. I am convinced my pharmacy must have switched brands, because I do not remember the smell before. I thought maybe something was wrong. I am glad to know I am not the only one. I cannot miss the smell. The minute I open my pill bottle, it comes out and smacks me!

peachieone

Also in Canada...I was on the regular 500 metformin and there was no smell. Last week I was unexpectedly away from home at the hospital because my Dad was rather suddenly dying and I did not have my meds with me so I filled the prescription I had in my purse for ER metformin so I would not miss a dose. The crisis was causing enough damage to my diabetes routine that I figured missing any meds could be disaster. I had asked for the ER prescription last month when I went in for my one month into Diabetes check-in because of the wretched gastro stuff I was experiencing moving up to the full prescribed dose. The ER costs $90ish a month - the regular $20ish/month and diabetes meds and supplies are not covered by our healthcare so I figured I would give the regular another couple of weeks and only go to the ER if i HAD to. The gastro stuff calmed down quite a bit so I decided not to switch until I was in another city being with my Dad. I must say - I do like them better cuz I only have to take two instead of four and the pharmacist at the hospital said I could even take them both at the same time. I can also report that there is no smell to these pills either. I will finish the month out and then go back to the regular ones that I still have but if I see a big difference in side effects I am going to continue the ER and hang the expense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.