Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dee

The OmniPod Experience

Dee

I would like to invite anyone who is using the Omnipod to post some messages about their experiences with using the pod system.

I have created some videos that show how the unit arrives and how to remove and start the pod.

YouTube - The OmniPod Arrives

YouTube - OmniPod Removal and Placement

YouTube - OmniPod Installing and Starting

I hope these videos will answer some questions concerning the Pod and inspire some new questions as well.

Best wishes!

Dewey

Dee, I think those were excellent depictions of the Omnipod experience & again, want to thank you for your input & experience on it. :thumbsup:

On the video where you received your PDM & pods, I got the whole "Ooooh! I can't wait!" feeling! lol....Couldn't wait to see the "Christmas gifts" you got (*we pumpers are a wild lot, as it feels like "Christmas" when we get packages like that!* :D)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I look forward to learning more from you.

notme

Thanks Dee. I watched all three and was impressed with how completely you explained how you wear the pod. I can see that it works wonderful for you and your body type.

I have a very different body type. I am long waisted with no meat on my middle. All of my weight is carried in my butt. I could not wear the pod where you put it because of my skinny rib cage area. If I tried to put it where I do carry some meat, I could not put pants on without a pod showing. The pod for me is just too big.

I think the pod would work well for men as your shirts are loose and most men have some tummy area to work with.

I think your video was very informative and extremely helpful for anyone considering the OmniPod. It definitely shows the plus and minus of that particular insulin delivery system.

For me, the tubing is less of an issue than where to hide a larger pod.

Thanks for the videos. They were great.

Dee

Thanks guys for the quick replies, I was happy to make these videos and I hope to make one more that shows wearing options under your clothes and bolus delivery and PDA storage.

At this point I have my basals dialed in and I am delivering less bolus amounts and I am leaving my PDA unit in the bag most of the time.

Today at work I check my BG twice and both times I was in my range and the pda recommended 0 units bolus! A very nice feeling.

Dewey, I made that first video covering the "package" arrival, it is fun to get a Christmas style package of new toys! :)

I also made it because my doctor did not explain how I would get set up. I asked my local drugstore if they were going to carry the OmniPod if I brought them a prescription and they didn't even know what I was talking about. It wasn't until I got a call from Insulet explaining what they were to send me.

Notme, I really don't buy the argument that the pod is too big for you. There are so many locations for the pod and without a tube and a pump unit there is less overall on your body. How big is your pump? it's certainly larger than a pod. Men do not have a monopoly on loose clothing. I see many women's blouses that have layered ruffles and dropped collars. Women also have the benefit of extra neck jewelry that would draw attention away from the device, skirts,pant suits. With a skirt, you could place a pod on the top of the thigh. The pod can easily take direct pressure. I was afraid to place the pod on right side under right breast because of my seatbelt, but I have been wearing lately under the seatbelt with no discomfort at all. I have seen several wearing on the backs of their arms, I have yet to try that, but it will put the pod in the sleeve of a shirt. Unless you wear one of those cyclicist stretch shirts like lance Armstrong then who would see it, and actually who would care? I have shown my pod to a few of my co-workers and after one or two questions they never say anything about it again.

Best wishes!!

notme

You don't have to "buy" the argument Dee. It is too big for me. I would prefer to have a small infusion set and a pump on my waistband. I did check in to having the OmiPod and it wasn't for me. Remember Dee that not everyone is going to feel the same way you do about the OmniPod. Some people don't want to pump insulin and others love the pen. We are all different. For me, I would prefer not to worry about a lump under my tighter fitting clothes. My pump...eh, I don't care if it is seen or not. I put it on my waistband.

I do appreciate that you love your OmniPod Dee. I am happy it is working for you. I also have my basals pretty much set, but I still must bolus for every meal and I use my bolus wizard to figure the IOB when I correct. I would use the PDA. For now, I will wait to see what other ingenious device will be invented for insulin delivery.

Good luck and great video.

Just Ducky

Just wanted to say thanks for the videos! I just finished the paperwork for my Omnipod, so I'm excited to get started. It'll be my first pump and I can't wait to not have to run to the bathroom for shots anymore!!!

Kudos. :)

Funnygrl

Thanks for sharing those videos. They are really awesome! I loved that you shared your opening of the package. Like Dew said, I got the whole "child at Christmas" feeling. I loved it! I can't believe how nicely it was packaged.

rmccully2000

Wow... that was painful for me LOL! I have been waiting for Omnipod's release in Texas for a year. It's finally available here but our endo is hesitant to prescribe it. Ughhhhh!!! The new sales rep should be visiting them in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting those. I can't wait until we can open Mason's package.

Becky, mom to Mason, 7 Dexcom

someone
Wow... that was painful for me LOL! I have been waiting for Omnipod's release in Texas for a year. It's finally available here but our endo is hesitant to prescribe it. Ughhhhh!!! The new sales rep should be visiting them in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting those. I can't wait until we can open Mason's package.

Becky, mom to Mason, 7 Dexcom

Hmm.. I thought it was always available here in Texas..? I found out about it shortly after I got my Animas pump, so I guess I didn't look into it well enough.

Dewey
I have added one more video that show bolus delivery and a little fun section called spot the Pod. See if you can find out where the pod is...

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

That was awesome, Dee! I couldn't tell where it was (well, where they were, lol), so good job!

I find the device very useful & it's awesome that everything is in one place (meter, pump functions, etc.). Thanks again for sharing!

Funnygrl

Dee- your videos are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

1. I love that you were wearing 6 pods and I couldn't see any of them. I just wish a 21 year old female would do it, so I could see what it would be like on ME with tight shirts and such.

2. You have the EXACT same bag for carrying your pump supplies I do. 99 cents at Wal-mart?

grove.armada

I just stopped using OMNIPOD couple months ago. My issues started with PDM failing , I would constantly get errors on it which would tell me that my pod has been deactivated and need to replace it with a new one right in the middle of the day. Got a new PDM which failed to boot loader error after a month, after which I've lost total confidence in this device. I called the support line a requested that they also send me a free pdm as courtesy since I'm having so many problems and every time I can't bolus for 2-3 (when it fails on weekends). I was quoted that they cost 300$ and they can't send a free one. Rep on the phone mention that no company sends free back up pumps to their customers, I'm surprised that he even used that argument as PDM is not a pump but just a PDM that controls it.

I thanked him for the product and asked to stop billing my insurance for the new pods. I'm glad I did as I'm very happy with my new 722, tubing is no problem at all as I originally though , when I go to sleep I just clip it to my boxers and use the short 23ich tubing . I always thought I could not live with something being attached to me 24/7 and it was the reason I went for POD, I was very wrong.

There is also the environmental issue with Pods that did not sit well with me. You are really not supposed to dispose them in the trash as they contain batteries. So I kept the used ones in the box and after a month cracked them open to get the batteries out (very cumbersome process). Of course Omnipod will tell to just go ahead and put it in your trash. I any case I noticed that spent pods did not like to sit next each other as they would set off the loud long alarm , so every few days I would have to go through the box and find the culprit.

Funnygrl

Oh my, does sound like you had a rough time with it.

I can't believe they wouldn't send you a new PDM. I know that Animas will send people loaner pumps if they seem to be having a really hard go with it. And a pump costs way more than a PDM.

shockme

hi dee!thanks for the vdos!i'm not a pumper,but i've been curious about what the pod was and how it worked.now i know!i was dx'd type 2 in jan and am on lantus,but if i ever feel i need the pump,i thinks i'd go with the pod.trish

Dee

Funnygrl, I am pretty sure you could see a pod on if you were to wear a tight knit thin strap top or something, But one pod high around kinda under your arm may not show. I am not having any problems with alternating the site from side to side and so even with a limited site choice you could keep your skin healthy. When you wear course thick fabrics with a fine detailed print they hide a lot. There is limited choice of what hides and looks OK for a fat guy like me. I could wear a long overcoat like silent Bob! If you watch Kevin Smith when he is on Conan or Jay he wears thick fabrics. Yep Wallymart 99cent!

grove.armada, I am sorry to hear of your troubles with the pod. You can see how much I love my pod system and if I had those troubles I would be so devastated. luckily, I have had no problems with my system. I have tried to be gentle with the PDA, I don't leave it in my hot car and I change the batteries when they show half used. Do you live near power lines? Could it be something is interfering with your link, because when you said used pods will beep if you keep them close together that makes me think the pods didn't get properly deactivated.

I wish you had better results,but I am glad you were able to get a pump you could live with and the main thing of all of this is to improve our health.

As far as the battery thing, I have tons of electronic toys and I buy Duracell's by the case, they all end up in the trash eventually, it's modern life.

Is your forum name after the group Groove Armada? I am a big trance fan.

Thanks, as always best wishes!!!

Funnygrl

Is there any way you could make a video taking us through the whole programming of the omnipod? Do they have computer software?

nneighbour

Great videos. Loved that you taped you nipples :P I'm not even on insulin, but I like to know what others are talking about on here.

Dee

Funnygrl, There is not much programming to do on the unit. I will not be making a video on that. I think it is best to work with your doctor on the ratios and base rates and such. There is some computer software in the works for the omnipod. I read an old message in a forum somewhere that insulet told someone that the software would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks that was in feb of this year. I sent an email to customer service at insulet a few weeks ago and their reply to me was the software would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks! HA! The software would be good for reports, however I saw my doctor today and he just took my PDA unit and scrolled around himself. It has all the summarys of averages,highs and lows.

nneighbor, I thought it would be better if you didn't have to look at those things. :D I didnt want anyone to think I was doing a janet Jackson :eek: (lamejoke I know) :(

Funnygrl

I didn't want specifics on how to figure carb ratios and such, just wanted to see how the Omnipod interface handled programming all the stuff. I know it can take a lot of button pushing, and wanted to see how stream lined that process was. However, I understand that this could take some time to make a video of, and I understand that it may be hard to get the PDM's screen on camera.

Dee

That might be possible, I could call it a tour of the menus. I just want to be careful not to offer any information that recommends anything. I am not a model diabetic, just an average user of the device and I am still working to get my sugars under control. My doctor was happy with me today, but he wants me to use the carbs before a meal more and he said he wanted to setup a program for exercise.

JediSkipdogg

I think mainly what Funnygrl is asking is show us via the menu how a bolus is given. Show some of the following....

~Regular Bolus

~Correction Bolus

~Carb Bolus

~Adding food items to a carb bolus

~Combo bolus

Basically, just some of the common things that pumpers do on a daily basis.

Funnygrl

Yes Jedi, all that, but I also want to see like how basal patterns and carb ratios are programmed in. Pumps actually can vary quite a bit in this fashion. The 1250 required them to be put in in set time slots,while the Spirit requires you to program a basal rate for every hour individually. The Cozmo lets you program carb ratios by the half-gram at the lower ratios. Just wanted to see if the Omnipod had any unique features in that sense.

Dee

I think I could do it. Has to be under 10 minutes to go on youtube. Showing the menus will also reveal all my levels and how bad I have been ;) This pump has given me a lot of hope that I can bring my A1C's down. I am doing better than injections alone. I will play with the camera tonight after the kids go to bed and see if I can make another video.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.