Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dee

The OmniPod Experience

networkguy

Guess I cant edit my post above....

Just got off the phone with Carecentrix (provider of DME stuff for Cigna)...so, right now Im paying $409 for a 90 day supply of Omnipods. A traditional pump's supplies would cost me $102 (or so) for 90 days.

The Omnipod is great...but not 400% greater. Im getting in to see my endo ASAP. Thats ridiculous.

/sigh. Its been a nice 4 years though.

poodlebone

Was the OmniPod your first pump? I have only used tubed pumps and the tubing rarely bothers me. I keep any excess tubing wrapped around the pump (under the clip) so it stays out of the way and I clip it inside my front pocket of my jeans.

The supplies will definitely be cheaper but won't you have to pay a big chunk up front for the pump itself?

networkguy

Ive 2 other pumps before this, both minimeds. I guess the tubing is....OK, but just an annoyance.

And yes, I'll pay a chunk up front, but I'll make it back in less than a year with a 75% reduction in supply costs.

Susan1989

I started on the omnipod about a week ago. It is my first pump, and I was diagnosed T1 about one month ago. So far I like it. My sugars are at good levels and I feel I have some freedom with my food choices (before the pump I injected 10 units of levemir each night and tried to really limit all carbs). However, I changed my pod for the first time yesterday and the insertion really hurt! I do not recall it hurting that much the first time I inserted it. Has anyone else experienced this?

acp1

I am amazed at the positive reviews. I started on omnipod 2 months ago and I initially had trouble with it inserting right, until I learned to basically pinch and jab it in when it went in. Even after that, I had high numbers all the time and bolus seemed to do nothing. I also had about half the pods just flat line out of the blue within the first 2 days. Customer support took 45 minutes to get through to and my rep stopped answering emails when I told her I was frustrated and had experienced several medical emergencies. The first pdm died while camping and I am on my second.

I wanted it to work so bad. I hate the tube so much. I did everything I could to make it work and it seems like every pod just dies for no reason or just doesn't deliver bolus or has some other problem. I am jealous of anyone having a good time and am right now back to using pens, which has been historically dangerous for me in the past. I don't like any of the other options on the market since I had a bad experience with annimus, have heard that medtronics CGM isn't as good as dexcom and hear t slim is kind of too new to have their game together.

I wish badly the omnipod had worked at all for me. Has anyone else had similar experience? I find it confusing that I have up to 2/3rds failure rate, my rep and the nurse she brought who also had diabetes and used the pump said I was using right, and somehow everyone else is loving it. It hardly makes sense.

NickB

I'm on my first week using the OmniPod.  The insertion in the CDE's office went OK, but hurt a little.  When I took that pod off to activate my second pod, I discovered a 1/4" welt under it and it bled when I removed it.  I attached the second pod on the back of my arm and the insertion hurt even more than the first one.  I hope I do not find another welt under it when I remove it as I would not want to keep using something that keeps leaving marks all over my body.  I do so have high hopes to be a successful user of this device.  Funny thing as I read through the User's Guide though, they never refer to the "cannula", it's always called the "soft cannula".  Are they trying to instill less fear/apprehension to its insertion?

DMMdiabetic

My 10 yr/old has had the Omnipod for a week...we're still checking at night and I was hoping that would end but all of a sudden he was 71 last night.

He played baseball hard for 2 hours right before bedtime (we did a 50% temp basal); when we got home, he was 127.  Was NOT hungry; Showered and went to bed.

If I'd had him eat a snack would that've done the trick, do you think? 15-25g carb (with fat/protein) snack?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

GrammaBear

I'm on my first week using the OmniPod.  The insertion in the CDE's office went OK, but hurt a little.  When I took that pod off to activate my second pod, I discovered a 1/4" welt under it and it bled when I removed it.  I attached the second pod on the back of my arm and the insertion hurt even more than the first one.  I hope I do not find another welt under it when I remove it as I would not want to keep using something that keeps leaving marks all over my body.  I do so have high hopes to be a successful user of this device.  Funny thing as I read through the User's Guide though, they never refer to the "cannula", it's always called the "soft cannula".  Are they trying to instill less fear/apprehension to its insertion?

When the term "soft cannula" is used, they are referring to the teflon cannula of the OmniPod.  Other pumps use either teflon cannulas in their infusion sets or steel needles as the cannula.  If you continue to have welts under your pod you should probably contact your doctor's office for advice.  I used the OmniPod for 3+ years and never encountered a welt under the pod.

mjpeters02

I have been an Omnipod user from June 2009. I can literally say this pump saved my life. My a1C was 12.4....I started the pump and my a1C within 6 months was down to 6.9.

The product is reliable as I played sports with it in, gone swimming in the ocean and even wore it during numerous surgeries as long as 5 hours. No problems at all.

Plus the 'no tube' is the big difference. While the reservoir is only 200 units i get 48 hours out of my pump. Love the combo manager and test meter in one.

The software and ability to download your readings to view/create reports is terrific.

Can't say enough about their customer service. Never had a problem getting assistance from technical support.

I have recommended this system to numerous people.

zatff
On 6/14/2007 at 5:40 PM, grove.armada said:

I just stopped using OMNIPOD couple months ago. My issues started with PDM failing , I would constantly get errors on it which would tell me that my pod has been deactivated and need to replace it with a new one right in the middle of the day. Got a new PDM which failed to boot loader error after a month, after which I've lost total confidence in this device. I called the support line a requested that they also send me a free pdm as courtesy since I'm having so many problems and every time I can't bolus for 2-3 (when it fails on weekends). I was quoted that they cost 300$ and they can't send a free one. Rep on the phone mention that no company sends free back up pumps to their customers, I'm surprised that he even used that argument as PDM is not a pump but just a PDM that controls it.

I thanked him for the product and asked to stop billing my insurance for the new pods. I'm glad I did as I'm very happy with my new 722, tubing is no problem at all as I originally though , when I go to sleep I just clip it to my boxers and use the short 23ich tubing . I always thought I could not live with something being attached to me 24/7 and it was the reason I went for POD, I was very wrong.

There is also the environmental issue with Pods that did not sit well with me. You are really not supposed to dispose them in the trash as they contain batteries. So I kept the used ones in the box and after a month cracked them open to get the batteries out (very cumbersome process). Of course Omnipod will tell to just go ahead and put it in your trash. I any case I noticed that spent pods did not like to sit next each other as they would set off the loud long alarm , so every few days I would have to go through the box and find the culprit.

I just had a horrible experience with my OmniPod.  I just started using the Omni Pod a week ago and liked being tubeless. I am very insulin resistant so i have to change the Pod every day which is a hassle. I was getting 30-35 hours from the first two.  Then I started having problems. First I tore one off walking through a door. Then the next one didn't seem to work at all and my BG levels went up to over 460 before i corrected with two needle injections and replaced it. One of the next four worked OK.  The other three lasted 10 hours, 6 hours, and the last one only three hours. The auto off deactivated them as being empty. 

Tonight I noticed my Dexcom trending down and I test BG level at 90 so set the OmniPod at .05 basal rate for two hours to avoid going too low. I woke up three hours later with severe low symptoms of shaking and sweating and my Dexcom reading bottomed out. I was fearful that I had just got 200 units of Humalog in less than three hours so started eating carbs right away. I considered driving to ER three blocks away but realized i was too shaky and in no shape to drive. So I kept eating carbs till I got steady enough to do a finger stick test and noticed my BG level on Dexcom was on the way up and back up to 68.  Calling for an ambulance was my back up plan if my BG went down again.

I called the OmniPod help line twice tonight.  The rep figured out the problem was more likely a defective controller than getting that many bad pods in a row. I made it very clear i was not willing to risk my life again with a bad controller and I expect a replacement to be sent ASAP. In the mean time I dug out and hooked up my old Tandem TFlex that I put away last week.  I had to do something since my BG level went up over 250 and was trending up.I really dislike the Tandem but right now it seems a lot safer than the OmniPod. I don't understand how they get by with sending out defective controllers that are extremely dangerous and potentially lethal when they malfunction.

I am willing to try the OmniPod again with a new controller but will be a lot more vigilant when using it since I am not aware of this potentially very serious problem.

zatff

I got good service from the OmniPod help line.  My new PDM arrived Monday morning even though it was a weekend and delivery is difficult on weekends. I will resume using it when my TFlex cartridge runs out since I can't afford to waste any more insulin.

They also said they are sending me out an ECO bag to recycle the used Pods since some said earlier that they disliked throwing the used Pods in the garbage. I think this is a nice feature and wonder if other companies have a recycle program for used pump equipment. i am going to ask Dexcom if they do for used sensors and other equipment.

FunDad62

Today is 2 weeks since I started using Omnipod.  While it is a bit of a hassle, it seems to work very well.  I've been consistently getting readings in the normal range since switching to it.  I had a 2 week follow up appointment with the rep this morning and she downloaded and printed my results.  The doctor was very pleased and even said I could lower my basal a little bit.  My rep is educated, very nice and helpful and says I can call her anytime.

I've had absolutely no problem with them staying put after applying.  In fact, it's hard to take one off when it's time to change.  I did have one pod suddenly fail and start alarming and I had to call support to find out how to get it to stop.  They were very nice and helpful and are sending me new pods at no charge because I had this problem.  He said the error code indicated static electricity was the cause.  I was sitting in a chair watching tv when it happened. 

don1942

Speaking of lack of technology, I spent 20 minutes on hold when I telephoned Medtronic this morning to find out the status of my guardian sensors only to be told I have to call CCS Medical, a Medicare subcontractor. I then spent 30 minutes on hold befor speaking to a rep regarding the availability of the sensors. Happily, I was told they are in stock and all I need is a prescription from my doc. I could have been told this two weeks ago when I received my new 670G and Guardian transmitter. Their communication network needs a major overhaul.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.