Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dee

The OmniPod Experience

Spbeyond

Funny! I watched all these BEFORE I found the forum. Good videos thanks. I wish I could go on the Omnipod but I doubt my insurance will cover it.

Dee

Here is a link to a new video showing a quick walk through of the various menu items. Hope this helps everyone to see how easy and simple the omnipod is to use.

YouTube - Omnipod Menu Tour

SPbeyond, you may be surprised. The omnipod is very friendly to insurance companys. If you contact the Insulet company let them pitch to your insurance. You will be required to have some tests run to see if you qualify. The startup is lower than most, about twelve hundred dollars but in my case my insurance paid 90 percent of that.

Funnygrl

Thank you Dee! This is exactly what I wanted to see!

I just have one question- you kinda gave me the idea that your basal patterns are covering your carbohydrate intake at meals, given the way your basal pattern changes with meals and your disproportionate basal/bolus percentages. Have you tested your basals? What type are you?

Anyways, I had no idea the Omnipod could do so much. That's really cool that it graphs blood sugars and such too. I wish my Cozmo did. I do prefer the way the Cozmo gives you averages and standard deviation for any time frame though. I would really love to see my aforementioned Smiths/Insulet/Abbott merger.

Dee

Funny G,

I am a type 2 adult onset diabetic and I am on byetta 20 units a day. I am new to pumps and still learning how to control my levels with the pump. Actually someone else should have made those videos, someone more experienced. I thought those videos would show how the Omnipod works and for that I think they do show the system, but I want to be careful to say that I am not in anyway an expert on the use of any insulin pump.

My doctor told me last week to use the carbs bolus more as you suggest, because he saw that I was using basal levels to predict times of day that I would need more insulin units. When I made the video I had actually flattened the levels a little more. Most likely I am taking a typical beginners approach. I see it very simple at this point. If I can have a basal level that accounts for the fact that at 11 oclock I go to lunch each day at work and I eat the same amount of carbs. (Creature of habit) then why not just plan it that way with basal. If I get busy at work and I cannot go to lunch then I have an atkins low carb breakfast bar instead. So why not increase the basal during this time and then only dial in bolus after I test? One thing I know about myself is my BG never and I mean never goes low unless I make it go low by too much bolus. I just dont have the kind of diabetes that I read about here where BG goes too low or even goes low and not feel it. I can really feel it if I over inject, with the pump I like to test my BG and see the PDA say zero bolus required. What that means to me is my basal drip is on target.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my doctor and I hope to learn more about proper use of the system. Thanks for your feedback, I welcome any comments you have to help me see the proper approach to the use of pumps.

Best wishes.. :)

Funnygrl

Dee- I wasn't trying to imply in any way that what you are doing is wrong. It's just not typical compared with other pumpers I know. I know nothing about type 2 diabetes and how control works with that. It it works for you, there's no arguing with success. If you haven't read the book Pumping Insulin yet, I highly recommend. Think Like a Pancreas is also very good.

As for the videos- they are excellent and truly show well how the pump works. I appreciate you sharing them, and you did a great job with them.

What type of insulin were you on before your pump?

Spbeyond

SUCKY!

Looks like I wont be getting an omni pod any time soon.

Thank you for visiting MyOmniPod.com and for your interest in the OmniPod Insulin Management System!

We appreciate your interest and want you to know that Insulet Corporation is committed to creating a strong customer service team to provide patients with a full range of support for their OmniPod Insulin Management System. This team includes a broad range of trained professionals specializing in areas such as training, reimbursement, managed care access, sales, and customer service. This team of professionals is currently being built and is expanding at a rapid pace. However, we will not begin shipping product to an area until a full team is in place to support the customers from that area. The team to support Utah is not yet complete. At this time, we do not have an availability date for your area.

If you haven't already, please join our mailing list via our website and you'll receive the most up-to-date information about the OmniPod Insulin Management System and Insulet Corporation when it becomes available.

If you have any further questions please contact us again. We look forward to serving your diabetes management needs in the future!

panda1076

Dee-- those videos are great! Thanks for taking the time to share those with everyone. I would never have thought to wear my OmniPod there...

Noteme-- you can be all body shapes and wear the OmniPod. I wear mine primarily on my stomach, on my arm (back of the tricep), lower back, and I have tried my leg once. I also saw a person wearing one below her waistline and she is really thin, and I could not notice it until she pointed it out to me. So I think I'll try that tonight.

Dee-- So you use Byetta in the OmniPod? I didn't even realize you could do that. That's interesting. Good luck with it. I have been using my OmniPod for 7 months now and I couldn't be happier.

Dee

Sorry about that, didn't want to mislead, forgot to say, In the Omnipod I use Novalog U100 type insulin.

Byetta on the side, It helps alot to reduce how much Novalog you use in the pump actually.

FG, before the pump I was on lantus and byetta and novalog for the meals. Not doing too well with it, stayed in the 200s most of the time.

The pump is really helping me alot, BUT I have gained 10 pounds :( That adds a new challenge.

The freedom the pump has given me kinda let me loose on some old food favorites, time to reel it all back in tho :)

panda1076

Thanks for clarifying about the Byetta!

I know what you mean about pumping allowing to eat more and therefore gain weight... i lost 10 lbs when I was first diagnosed because I never snacked and only ate very few carbs a day. Now on the Omnipod I eat whatever the heck I want! I have gained back a little bit of weight. but it is great to have that challenge and not have your diabetes limit what you can eat!

frige

Can the PDM hook up to your computer (USB,rs232,memorycard)?

And if so, has there been (or will there be) any software updates that you install yourself?

-john

Dee

Insulet is promising a computer manager package. I sent them an email and they said four to six weeks it should be available for download. Problem is they said that months ago to someone else. I guess there can be no wine until it's time! :)

RobiJo
I would like to invite anyone who is using the Omnipod to post some messages about their experiences with using the pod system.

Very informative videos you have made. I'm curious if you ever had a different pump and how you would compare the two (or anyone else who has used both types). I'm happy with my MM, but I have a good friend who is interested in pumps---but doesn't want to be attached. This would be perfect for him.

My friend is a teacher so I'm curious if the handheld have to stay within a certain range of the pod? Or just when changes are being made? Would he have to keep it in his pocket or would he be able to leave it in his desk?

This product is fascinating.

panda1076

the OmniPod was my first pump, so I can't compare experiences. Though my brother wears a Cozmo, and I have watched him change his infusion set.

His process takes several minutes and involves many steps that I don't have to do--like rewinding his pump/reservoir, hooked up the tubing via luer lock, purge the air out of the tubing, insert his cannula manually, then deliver the prime bolus. (I am not sure if I got all that exactly correct--I only watched once).

But when he and his wife watched me change my pod, they were shocked at how little time it took and that all i had to do after filling the pod with insulin was stick the pod to me and press buttons on the PDM.

I was shocked after watching all that he goes through to change a set. I had no idea.

by the way, the PDM does not need to be near you at all times--only when testing BG, bolusing, or changing settings. You could keep it where you keep your meter for example. I usually keep my PDM in my pocketbook all day or on my desk, then I go off to meetings or whatever. When I'm at home, I usually leave it on the kitchen counter, regardless of where I am in the house.

It sounds perfect for a teacher. Just keep it in your bag or in your desk, so it's handy when needed. But you dont have to carry it around all day long.

RobiJo

It sounds perfect for a teacher. Just keep it in your bag or in your desk, so it's handy when needed. But you dont have to carry it around all day long.

That's what it seems like, I sent my buddy a link to the omnipod website. It might just be the "pump" he'd go for. He's slowly seen all of our other friends get pumps, but no one we know has the omipod. He's holding out b/c he doesn't want to be attached. Personally I would lose the PDM...but I think it's a cool concept and I'm interested to see where it goes in the future.

panda1076

I love my OmniPod, and I chose it because of the no tubing. Honestly, I didn't even investigate other pumps because I knew I didn't want tubing. So when I saw this, that was it!

By the way, there was an article in People magazine this past issue (the issue with Britney Spears on cover) about Nick Jonas, a teen pop singer, who wears the OmniPod. I thought that was cool to see some featured in People talking abou their OmniPod!

TeigerLilley

I heard about Nick Jonas being in the People magazine.. I actually heard about the Omnipod from a video of Nick Jonas when the Jonas Brothers were doing a concert and he told people that he had diabetes.. :)

I have to go to a follow-up Intensive Management Class to learn more about the Omnipod.. My endocrinologists kept telling me about the pumps and I didn't really like the tubing..so when I saw the Omnipod I got interested ..and I went to the site and checked it out..hopefully I will get it..I'm very excited about it..

Alice

If you don't mind sharing...what are the costs involved with the OmniPod? I probably have some insurance coverage, but for fact finding...I'd like to know the "full retail" value of the pod, PDA and supplies.

thanks!

panda1076

Depending on your insurance, I am sure the costs vary. I don't pay anything, but I guess I have good insurance coverage.

I believe the retail cost of the PDM is $800 and a month's supply of pods is $325, but don't quote me on that.

panda1076
...I didn't really like the tubing..so when I saw the Omnipod I got interested ...

That was my main draw to the OmniPod too, the no tubing. But the other awesome feature is the auto cannula insertion. You don't actually have to look at any needles or insert any needles yourself. You fill the pod with insulin, the pod purges the air itself, you stick it on your body, then you push a button on the PDM which inserts the cannula for you. It happens so fast you barely notice it. it's like you don't have time to think about it until it's done inserting,

TeigerLilley

oh yeah..I forgot to mention that I liked the idea of the automated cannula insertion too..and the pod doesn't even look like a pump..so nobody would know what it was..also the PDM looks kind of like an MP3 player or a palm pilot and the meter is built in.. it gives you insulin by the push of a button..

Overall the pod is pretty cool!..hehe :)

panda1076

Good luck! I hope you get the OmniPod and it works out. I love my OmniPod, if you couldn't tell :)

If/when you get set up on the OmniPod, feel free to send me a private message. I'd be happy to share favorite spots for wearing my pod, and lessons learned getting started. Just remember that the first few weeks are a learning period, regarding where you prefer wearing pods.

Alice

Ok, next question...what about airport security? Aren't they used to pumps that are hooked to clothing? I would think they are wondering about mechanisms "taped" to the body..LOL!!!

(I'm not paranoid about airport security, I travel frequently with my insulin and know that pumps aren't a big deal...)

Do you head over to the "pacemaker" lane at security and just explain...or do you go through regular security lines? Just wondering..

CindyO

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short! I just upgraded to the Paradigm 522 in January. I didn't know that the Omnipod existed. I will certainly consider switching the warranty is up on my new pump. Thanks for the info!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.