Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dee

The OmniPod Experience

panda1076

Alice,

There is no problem going through security! I just walk right through with all the non-diabetics and non-pacemakers :)

I always take my backup supplies (backup syringes, insulin, meter, etc) and my PDM case and put that in a bin to go through the xray machine.

No one has ever asked me about it. I traveled to Australia for the month of February. Being paranoid, I brought like 2 months worth of supplies! I toted all that stuff in my carry on for 6 flights around Australia and New Zealand (with stop overs in Bangkok and Seoul). No one once asked me about my stuff!

Actually, once I was wearing my pod on the back of my arm, and I had a tank top on. And the security guy asked what it was. I said it was an insulin pump. That was that. I think he was just concerned I would set off the metal detector, but I didn't.

Alice

I just left my endo's office. I brought up the OmniPod...she said that it did not deliver a continuous dose (basal) of insulin. I was under the impression that it did. (I learned not to argue with my endo a long time ago!)...What is correct here? It's not just for bolus doses only, is it? Thanks...

panda1076

WHAT?! Of course it delivers a basal rate!

In fact, I think you can have up to 7 different "basal programs" stored in your PDM. And each of the programs could contain numberous rates per time segment.

I'll look it up in the user guide tonight and let you know. I can't believe an endocrinologist would give you such bad information. Wow.

Funnygrl
I just left my endo's office. I brought up the OmniPod...she said that it did not deliver a continuous dose (basal) of insulin. I was under the impression that it did. (I learned not to argue with my endo a long time ago!)...What is correct here? It's not just for bolus doses only, is it? Thanks...

Your endo needs an edu-macation.

Alice

Well, that's not the first time my endo has been "mistaken"! I will break it to them gently. Sounded like she hasn't been visited by the OmniPod Fairy (rep) yet. I get run over by the Medtronics rep everytime I visit the office.

panda1076

I checked out my user guide. It said that you can have 7 basal programs, and each one can have up to 24 different rates. So your endo is definitely wrong!

someone

I don't see how your endo could possibly think they would make a pump with no basal. That is the main advantage of the pump, and no basal would defeat one of the primary advantages.

Alice

I think she was confusing it with the gizmo that you inject insulin into...instead of skin directly. Can't remember the name...and don't know many people who use it. I've heard it used for small children.

I'm thinking this due to my endo's comment that "those are mainly for people who have a severe phobia about needles."

So, that's my guess. I also think OmniPod does not have the marketing budget for reps that Medtronics has...media coverage is less as well.

JediSkipdogg
So, that's my guess. I also think OmniPod does not have the marketing budget for reps that Medtronics has...media coverage is less as well.

That's the same with all pumps. I was at my Endo the other day and saw her assistant for a bit and she asked about my pump. She's been an Endo for about 15 years she said and she has only seen an Animas a handful of times. When I asked why, she simply said they don't prescribe anything but Minimed there unless the patient specifically requests something else with 100% certainty. Their reason was why add more decisions to the mix for the patient, just use what's out there that's been around longest.

someone

I asked my endo about the omnipod about a year ago and he had never heard of it, though he did have a profound knowledge of CGMS. At least he didn't say he knew what it was when he didn't. :|

TeigerLilley

When I asked my endocringologist about the Omnipod..they had heard about it because they were starting to get some reps there at the hospital..

In a couple of weeks I go to my Intensive Management Class..I'm excited :)

pooh3465

Hey this is so unreal I just ran across it about a week ago i am up for a new machine in sept and i was looking into it I wrote the company and i believe I was told they did not have it so it could be accesed by the computer but i won't swear to anything check out their site. I hate writing down blood sugars so that would be the only draw back for me but I am seriously going to have to think about this machine. Thanks so much for taking the time to make these videos i think i am going to have to watch them some more.:D

Dee

I went all out on my meter before I went on the onmipod and was able to hook it to my computer and print out my tests. The first time I took it to my doctor he looked at the top two pages and then nicely went on to talk about my a1c.

I realized the whole computer logging thing was not really important to me. When I got the pod, my doctor would just scroll through the pages on the screen. Second visit with the pod he didn't even look at my test history. My A1C was so much lower with the pod that is all we talked about.

someone
Second visit with the pod he didn't even look at my test history. My A1C was so much lower with the pod that is all we talked about.

My doctor has never asked me for my log although his office always says to bring it to appointments. Is this one of the advantages you get with better control? LOL

Alice

My endo only looks at the first entry on a log...so, I learned to always start out with a good morning!

I'm not into logging...I do like some of the features on my UltraSmart but it's giving me a blank screen on the extra features...so time for a new one...have one waiting in the wings.

sandi

help me please i have been on the omni pod now for almost 3 weeks i can not keep the pod on any longer than one day after i shower. i have use mastisol adhesive spray iv 3000 tapes, also today i used a tagderm 4 by 5 tape to secure it more secure and i had asugar of 454 2 hours later removed the pod and used by lantus and novolog. also i had 2 pods that the needle did not insert the correct way

panda1076

I thought mastisol is the strongest, but you could also try Skin Bond. That's another option.

Also, I have not had any problem with the pod coming off. But I have noticed that if you don't stick it down well to begin with, when water seeps in the sides, my site gets itchy.

I have experienced a few pods not inserting properly in the 11 months I have been using the OmniPod, so a few misfires are normal I think. I would stick with it if you can figure out your adhesive issues.

Did you try calling Customer Support? They have always been helpful when I have talked to them.

Dee

Maybe you have a bad batch, I have yet to find a pod that will not stick.

Where are you placing the pod?

I have never had a misfire on the cannula. Have you tried holding down the clear front when you fire the unit the first time?

I would certainly contact the Omnipod people.

kidg

I've been using the Omnipod for about 2 months and, at first, I had numerous pods either not adhere properly or not deliver insulin. After a frustrating couple of weeks, I surmised that I was having some leakage problems with the batch that I was sent (I had 3 pods from this batch fail at my training session so my area contact didn't doubt my claims). Insulet sent me a new shipment of replacement pods (at their cost) and I've had a much better experience of late.

One thing that I do stil find annoying is that I've had a few pods come off when catching them on a door jamb or piece of furniture. (the adhesive pad stays on my skin but the pad tears where it attaches to the pod) Granted, I've been putting pods in every conceivable place to test for comfort. I've found that ones placed on my shoulder or the back of my arm have a tendency to get bumped more than others. I'm very active so maybe those are just bad placement choices to begin with. (I still wish they'd use a stronger fabric for the adhesive patch)

Despite my unusual level of difficulty with the Omnipod, it's still nice to have a break from sticking myself in the gut with needles ad nauseum.

Funnygrl
My doctor has never asked me for my log although his office always says to bring it to appointments. Is this one of the advantages you get with better control? LOL

I don't think so. My last a1c was good, so my endo asked to look at my log to tell "find where all these lows are."

Alice

Ok, so what happens if you accidently dose further than 2 feet away (I don't know what situation this would be really)...does something alert you to the fact that you are "out of range"?

darren

It will beep and let you know that it has stopped, then when you get back in range it will start again. Keep in mind you only need to be two feet away when giving a bolus or changing your basal rate. One your bolus and/or your basal change is complete it does not matter how far you are away. It will continue to give you your basal no matter what.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.