Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trishagarth94

Diabetes and Unborn Child

cat_collector

I believe that your unborn baby s blood sugar is what ever your blood sugar is that s why it so important to keep your numbers under control . so I doubt they could test them .

Tracy

trishagarth94
I believe that your unborn baby s blood sugar is what ever your blood sugar is that s why it so important to keep your numbers under control . so I doubt they could test them .

Tracy

Thanks I was just wondering, forgot to ask the doc today. I just found I am pregnant.

notme

Actually Tracy, I understand it is a bit different. Depending on what gestation you are in, the baby has a functioning pancreas. If you blood sugar is high, then your unborn child's pancreas is working double time to keep the baby's blood sugar under control. Kind of like if he/she ate a big sugary meal. The baby will try to compensate for the high blood sugar it is experiencing. My daughter's blood sugar was high during labor. The baby was born and her pancreas was still working overtime to compensate for my daughter's high blood sugar. When the cord was cut, the baby's blood sugar plummeted because it had been putting out so much insulin and they were very concerned for awhile. They fed the baby as much glucose water as they could force in a new baby. If she had not been able to drink the glucose they would have started an IV to get sugar into her system until her little pancreas caught up.

If the baby does not have a functioning pancreas yet, then the baby is at your mercy for keeping your blood sugar under control.

June91

CONGRATULATIONS! :elefant:

I am not entirely sure, but I believe diabetes develops and it's very rare or even unheard of for people to be born with it.

Don't worry about that now - concentrate on yourself. :)

sofaraway

I would be asking why anyone would want to know this and what would be done with the information. As June says it's highly unlikely for anyone to actually be born with diabetes.

congratulations on your news :)

Chris Graham

I don't think so. I am 37 weeks pregnant and we are enrolled in a study called NIP (nutritional intervention to prevent diabetes). Basically, the idea is that DHA (fish oil) might prevent diabetes in children who are at high risk. Our baby's cord blood will be tested to see if she is at high risk. If she is, we can continue in the study. Right now I take DHA capsules and will continue as I breast feed...if breast feeding doesn't work out they provide me with formula with DHA in it.

They are still looking for participants in my town. You can find out more info at http://www.diabetestrialnet.org or 1-800-425-8361.

My contact in KC is Terri Gray, 816-983-6529 or tgray@cmh.edu.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

notme

I hope I didn't make people think that my daughter's baby was at risk for diabetes when she was born. That was not my intention. Her blood sugar plummeted because she had a fully working pancreas that was keeping her mother's high blood sugar out of her system. The reason her blood sugar went low was because when the cord was cut, she was not sharing her mother's high blood sugar anymore and her blood sugar plummeted because her little pancreas was working overtime. The doctors were concerned about her because he blood sugar went low. Not because they thought she had diabetes. Sorry if I confused anyone.

My grandaughter is absolutely fine. No diabetes.

trishagarth94
I would be asking why anyone would want to know this and what would be done with the information. As June says it's highly unlikely for anyone to actually be born with diabetes.

congratulations on your news :)

I was just wondering if something like that could happen. My doc said that they were going to watch becasue of my family history and the baby's dad's family history. My mom, dad, grandfather, brother, and I all have type 1. The babies dad, his dad, and grandfather also have type 1. That's why I was asking.

June91
Her blood sugar plummeted because she had a fully working pancreas that was keeping her mother's high blood sugar out of her system. The reason her blood sugar went low was because when the cord was cut, she was not sharing her mother's high blood sugar anymore and her blood sugar plummeted because her little pancreas was working overtime.

It's almost a rule. My daughter's bg was 2.4 an hour after she was born - I checked it myself - and up to normal within a few hours. Didn't prick her finger though, I used the heel and hoped she didn't feel it.

Mich

Congratulations Trisha. Be sure to sing and talk to that little one as the months pass. I think it matters, but if nothing else, it will make you feel more connected ;-)

My experience each of the times I had a baby was the same as Nancy's daughter's. Both of the hospitals had a neonatologist ready to receive the babies. Since most hospitals tend to keep the mother's blood sugar slightly high during surgery (both were c-sections) they needed careful blood sugar monitoring of their little busy pancreases immediately after delivery. Things leveled out quickly and both are healthy these 31 years later with no signs of diabetes.

Mich

lilituc
I was just wondering if something like that could happen. My doc said that they were going to watch becasue of my family history and the baby's dad's family history. My mom, dad, grandfather, brother, and I all have type 1. The babies dad, his dad, and grandfather also have type 1. That's why I was asking.

Ah, you mean you want to know if your child could be at risk? Unfortunately, it's not clearcut. Type 1 develops after an autoimmune attack on the beta cells (insulin-producing cells). There are some studies now, I think one is done by TrialNet, that test people who have relatives with Type 1 for the antibodies to see if they can learn more about how Type 1 happens. Still, I think it would be unusual for a baby to have them because they develop over time. If there are that many relatives with Type 1, you might have a better chance of getting hooked up with one of the studies.

Another possibility you might want to consider is MODY.

balamurugan

Ah, you mean you want to know if your child could be at risk? Unfortunately, it's not clearcut. Type 1 develops after an autoimmune attack on the beta cells (insulin-producing cells). There are some studies now, I think one is done by TrialNet, that test people who have relatives with Type 1 for the antibodies to see if they can learn more about how Type 1 happens. Still, I think it would be unusual for a baby to have them because they develop over time. If there are that many relatives with Type 1, you might have a better chance of getting hooked up with one of the studies.:o:(:D;):):mad::D;) :T :cool:

Another possibility you might want to consider is MODY.

JustJoe

My mom was diabetic while she was carrying me, she was undiagnosed until after I was born. A sign of Diabetes is lage babies, they said I was small and it was all fluid, when I was born I weighed 10lb's.

I was ok, I developed type 2 due to lifestyle, maybe its in the geanes but thats no excuse.

Don't worry about it to much, just try and makes sure your child has a good lifestyle. Thats all you can do.

I hope everything goes well :)

trishagarth94

Thanks y'all. I have just got around to reading this thread I started. Been really busy around here. But thanks for all the suggestions.

JasonJayhawk

Hey Chris,

Regarding the Children's Mercy project... we tried to get in it, but due to the condition of prematurity with our twins (and needing a 22-calorie formula for the nutrition), they weren't eligible. We're going to have the TrialNet antibody test performed in another 6 months, though. Thanks for the contact information. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.