Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sari

Travel tips

Sari

Does anyone have tips on what do think about when travelling with a child with diabetes? We will be flying overseas and I am collecting all tips I can get. Should I bring her own food? I already checked all the security regulations but I really want some practical tips.:confused:

barko

Sari..

I don't have children with diabetes, but I did find this link that may be helpful for you:

children with DIABETES - Traveling with Diabetes

That site is focused on children with diabetes and has a lot of good resources it seems. That link is to a section about travelling with children who have diabetes.

Blessings...

Adding one more ;-)

Diabetic Traveler.com

HollyB

Hi,

We just travelled to Ireland with my 15-year-old ... mind you, 15 is a LOT different from 5...

For a young child (actually even for Aaron) I would pack along plenty of easy-to-pack food like granola bars and cheese/cracker packs, because airplane/restaurant food doesn't always come when you need it and kids won't always like it when it does come. Also you need stuff for bedtime or middle-of-the-night lows -- we were pretty active on our vacation and Aaron did tend to dip at night -- though depending on where you're going you can stock up on some snacks once you arrive. It's good peace of mind to have extras of everything with you -- pharmacies and grocery stores can be closed at odd hours, ATMs can decide not to work, all that.

At the airports we were in (Canada and Ireland) you could buy water and other drinks AFTER security to take on the plane. That's worth checking out at your airport, because plenty of water can be important if she happens to run high on the plane and the drinks they give you are minuscule.

BTW we had no problems with security -- they were very understanding and accommodating. I had Aaron's supplies packed into a cosmetics bag that opened up flat with clear plastic windows but they didn't even look in it.

kgm0612

Diabetics are also allowed to carry on juice boxes to treat a low. Before going through the scanner, let the TSA know that you're traveling with a diabetic child and you're carrying extra supplies.

If your child likes peanut butter sandwiches, pack one or two to have on hand. The airline food isn't diabetic friendly, so I'd also pack plenty of snacks such as peanut butter crackers, an apple or two, candy, etc.

Have a safe trip!

Karen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.