Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alexg

Novomix 7030 for the first time....

ladytaz

No, I don't believe that's normal? I don't use pens, but when I get my vials (just got one today, too), they always take them out of the fridge. My opinion is they should be kept refrigerated, until you pick it up!! As long as the insulin stayed under 86 degrees, it should be fine though. In the future, if it's not cold, demand that they get you some from out of the fridge.

alexg

Thanks! I kinda figured that too of what you said, but they are kinda stupid there at my HEB. I think they have a bunch of rookies. I was going to return that same day but I had other things to do. It seems the insulin is still working fine though, I am still getting my normal readings. Next time I will tell them what happened and for them not to give me any warm insulin.

alexg

alexg

Well for reference LINK

Anyways, been going to the gym and keep a good intensive diet. Now I've been averaging glucose levels of 70 or so most of the day at 11U day and night. That is pretty low and I've had a low 56 last Saturday which was about 2 hours after dinner. I don't want to be eating all day to feed these low levels so what do you think, go down to about 9U would be safe?

alexg

ladytaz

Hi Alex! :0)

Yea, I think that would be fine for you. Keep close watch for a few days to make sure you aren't going too high.

Honestly, this is where having the NPH and the Regular seperately helps a LOT!! I was having issues with going low in the early afternoon, which is really my breakfast, since I don't usually eat in the mornings when I wake up. I'm not hungry, until about 3 or 4 hours or so after I awake. Most mornings anyway. So I decided to stop taking the mix and go seperate. Has worked wonders for me! I hardly ever have to take my R, unless I'm eating a high carb meal, and that's usually only a supper meal! The NPH pretty well keeps my BG below 140 on it's own for my Breakfast and lunch. Unless, as I said, I eat something high in carbs. I ususally only eat about 25g to 30g carbs for those two meals.

IF you choose to do that though, then you'll have to figure out what your insulin:carb [i:C] ratio is. Again, another thing "Diabetes" that is individual! ;)

So yea, go ahead and try the 9u. If you find it keeps you a little bit too high, then bump it up to 10u.

Good Luck!!

alexg

Thanks for the reply. I will go to 10 U first and see how that works. Then go gradually down until I find the sweet spot. :)

alexg

alexg

Well in the morning after waking up and before breakfast I was at 85 and 2 1/2 hours later back at 85. Good or not, hmm?

alexg

ladytaz

If you feel comfortable with that, then its good! :) If you prefer to be a little bit higher, then reduce by another unit and see how that goes. ;)

alexg

Well still at 10 U, this morning I was at 87 then at lunch I was at 92 and right now a bit before dinner I am at low 62. I kinda forgot to take a mid afternoon snack. I think I will try 9 U tonight and tomorrow to see what numbers I get. Do you think that controlling my glucose level by dieting is better than controlling it by higher insulin intakes?

alexg

ladytaz

I think that's a personal decision, Alex. You shouldn't have to eat to "feed" the insuin. But in reality, with insulin, you should be able to eat as you wish. Though I don't agree with pigging out and "covering" it with insulin at all times. For an occasional treat, fine. But on a daily basis? No. I think that can bring on a whole different set of issues. But, that's not the case here with you, anyway.

You were taking 6u previously, before the jump up to 12u, right? And now you are changing your carb intake, lowering it more than it was at that time? Correct? If so, just keep droping a unit at a time until you find that "sweet spot" as you said yesterday! ;)

Consider speaking with your doctor about going MDI [NPH and R seperately]. You may benifit greatly, as I have, from it. The NPH keeps me pretty steady all day long. Between 80 and 110 most of the time, and under 140 at the 2 hour mark. I don't have to take R that often. Only when I eat a large carb meal, or I am running higher already for some reason.

Usually though, as long as I'm under 110, and a meal is under 30g carbs or so, I don't even have to bother with the R. Of course, you may still need to use the R with every meal. But, since you don't really need to take any R for your lunch meal, and you maintain good BG levels, it seems that you may very well respond as I have.

alexg

Well I am down to 8 U as with the rest still getting low 60's. Tonight was my first 8 U and 3 hours later after dinner, I was at 104. Now lets see in the morning before breakfast what my level is.

alexg

alexg

In the morning I was at 81 then before dinner I was at 111. Today I woke up at 89. I think I found the sweet spot at 8 U. Now I will continue my extreme dieting and exercising routine and see if I can get some results there. :)

alexg

alexg

Yesterday being Thanksgiving gave me a reason to break my diet. I may have over did it a little eating turkey, some ground beef stuffing, some corn with butter, mash potatoes with boiled eggs, some white bread, and some pecan pie. This was in the afternoon. I went with my traditional 8 U at night. In the morning I thought I was going to be higher than normal, yet to my surprise I was at 85.

alexg

alexg

Tonight I tested out my numbers without Novomix night dosage. I felt hungry at around 6:45 PM and checked my blood before dinner at 7:15. My glucose level was at 65, no wonder I was hungry. I ate salmon, some dirty rice, and a dinner roll. I just tested out my glucose again right now, 1 hour later, and I am at 115. Wow I didn't even use insulin, hmmm :confused: ?

alexg

alexg

This morning I am at 92. Now I am getting curious to whats going on. I didn't get insulin last night and I am still normal.

alexg

alexg

Didn't take my morning insulin shot either and right now about 1 1/2 h after lunch I am at 129. Still have the afternoon to go, before dinner reading should be lower than 129 and in range.

alexg

alexg

Before dinner continuing the previous post for Saturday, I was at 69 before dinner, then 101 two hours later. Today Sunday I woke up having 94 in the morning before breakfast and 81 before dinner. Still no insulin! What do you think, am I doing good without insulin?

alexg

noroardanto

Hi I'm Noro, this is my first time, I'm not sure how to post new topic.. I hope it is ok to just reply to a thread.

Diagnose with type 1 three weeks ago. My doctor put me in 2100 kcal diet as I'm also in medication for lung tuberculosis. Using novomix 30 I started at 20 unit. Now I have to inject 38 unit just before breakfast (7 a.m) and another 38 at diner (6 p.m.) otherwise, my glucose level will shoot up to 300 2 hours after meal. Did anyone ever need this much of novomix? Thks.

alexg

Wow that sure is a lot of insulin and I haven't seen anyone around here take that much. Keep up with your shots, you don't want to be that high for a long period of time.

alexg

noroardanto

My md told me that infection can also increase insulin needs (in my case, lung infection). I'm moving to lantus tomorrow, starting with 30 unit, hopefully I won't have to increase it to my current novo dose. At least I hope that I will need much less dose when my lungs are fully recover (in about 5 months). Thanks Alex, please keep posting your progress, I do really hope you won't need insulin injection anymore.

noro

xMenace
Hi I'm Noro, this is my first time, I'm not sure how to post new topic.. I hope it is ok to just reply to a thread.

Diagnose with type 1 three weeks ago. My doctor put me in 2100 kcal diet as I'm also in medication for lung tuberculosis. Using novomix 30 I started at 20 unit. Now I have to inject 38 unit just before breakfast (7 a.m) and another 38 at diner (6 p.m.) otherwise, my glucose level will shoot up to 300 2 hours after meal. Did anyone ever need this much of novomix? Thks.

Welcome noro.

Some here take hundreds of units of insulin a day and some take less than 10. Disregard them. Take what works for you!

So you are switching to Lantus. Good! Are you also taking a fast acting insulin for meals? I sure hope so. Of course you count your carbs now too, right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.