Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JediSkipdogg

Meet and Greet 2008

Tony
That's why I think we went back to the polls last time however, I think one certain member persuaded alot on what they should choose.

Yes which worked good, but my point was to many people had a say and a decision couldn't been decided. So I think between polls and a committee this should go very smoothly.

Having a committee would be handy because they can be in charge of putting this all together. And the committee can even act as the travel agency once the trip is decided. They can find best rates and places to stay.

However you guys decide, committee or not, I don't care as long as everyone gets along. We don't want everyone pissed off at each other and then no one goes. Waste of time. I just think it would go more smoothly with what I posted above.

RLK
Sorry, just throwing lots of sarcasm out there as I see everyone saying pick them to lead or that they want to lead. Yet my name has come up zilch.:confused:

Jedi, it's obvious from all the threads planning the 2007 M&G that you did a lot of hard work and I don't think that anyone is trying to discount that. People seem really excited about another M&G (that's a testament to the success of this year's!) and want to be involved, and eager volunteers are never a bad thing!

Both the polls and the committee ideas have merit. The polls allow for all of DF to have some input on location, dates, etc. while the committee approach allows for effective decision-making when dealing with such a variety of ideas and a large group of people.

May I make a suggestion? Yes, I know, I didn't even express interest in attending the last trip, but I'd like to attend this one.

Why not have a rotating committee? 4 people or so, 1 of whom heads the committee. Last year's chair stays on the committee for an additional year to provide their experience. Next year's chair is chosen by poll from the other 3 committee members who have never chaired, providing continuity to what was done in past years. The empty seat is filled each year by nomination and vote via poll by all DF members.

We've used this method at work to plan several functions and it has worked very well.

Just my 2 cents....

BriOnH
Sorry, just throwing lots of sarcasm out there as I see everyone saying pick them to lead or that they want to lead. Yet my name has come up zilch.:confused:

Good leaders are more often than not taken for granted and / or criticized. Just because you don't read your name does not mean your leadership is unrecognized, and please let me reiterate my thanks to you for organizing the first ever conference.

Yes which worked good, but my point was to many people had a say and a decision couldn't been decided. So I think between polls and a committee this should go very smoothly.

Having a committee would be handy because they can be in charge of putting this all together. And the committee can even act as the travel agency once the trip is decided. They can find best rates and places to stay.

However you guys decide, committee or not, I don't care as long as everyone gets along. We don't everyone pissed off at each and then no one goes. Waste of time. I just think it would go more smoothly with what I posted above.

Amen Tony. Agree 100%, especially with the last paragraph with everyone getting along. Totally pointless if we just argue, and are not having fun and accomplishing our group goals.

I have put forth a strawman for defining the comittee.

Here is an update of that strawman:

Proposal of current comittee positions:

I President - Brian in Co-operation with Tony. Kevin if this offends you I bow down and will follow your lead.

II Director of Event Organization - Organizes attendees and physical location - Kevin;

IIa Manager of Event Organization - Rikki;

III Sponsership Director - responsible for the networking of diabetic companies to sponser the event. Where the $$ is at could well dictate where the event is held next. - Dewey? I will help whomever takes over this role. You can give this a different title if need be.

IV Treasurer / controller - Cost analysis / net & gross margins (net margin spending TBD). ???? I want a piece of the net gains, if made, to go towards my Lab to find better diabetic therapies. I'd prefer someone else to control the money rather then myself. I have enough budgets to deal with as is. I don't think there is a single person on here that I know who I would not trust with this job. And to be realistic, this is probably going to end up costing me money until about the 10th annual event. In at which I time I hope we can hold the event at the opening of my lab.

V Marketing Director - Spread the web with it. Old fashion paper fliers and face to faces are always best. Myspace pages, facebooks, linkedin, etcetc, NO SPAM - ?????

VI Operation Volunteers - The most critical piece of the event organization. ?????

Lets try not to turn this in to Animal Farm. I have a lot of experience in forming companies and comittees. These are the steps I usually take:

1) brainstorming - ideas, no problem solving 95% complete

2) Positions - 65% complete

3) Requirements (location, attendees, sponsers etc)

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/...2008-date.html - This talks about the range of dates to best meet people's schedules by dividing the summer months in half. At a later time and when the location is settled, an exact week or weekend will be picked.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/...-location.html - This divides the country into 5 areas to choose from. At a later time, it will be divided into maybe states in that area or prime locations that will then be selected from

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/...-diabetes.html - It seems some want a huge diabetes convention while some just want a vacation. I think one or the other may deter people away. Some don't want to take a week off work and then spend it all talking about diabetes and attending information sessions on diabetes that they already get on here. So, we let the people choose how much diabetes info they want at it.

15% complete

4) Design Plan - 0% complete

5) Implmentation - 0% complete

6) Event Realtime Check points - Quality Assuarnce - 0% Complete

7) cost / reward / event conclusions - did we make a positive difference? 0% Complete

JediSkipdogg

Brian....don't take this in offense...however, I see your committee positions as useless. Firstly, it appears from my diabetes related threat (http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/meet-and-greet/19937-m-g-2008-diabetes.html) that so far...nobody wants it that highly diabetes related. Using your idea, it appears you would be organizing a Children with Diabetes type conference.

Now, don't discount this as I may be right or wrong, but I don't see Medtronic willing to send say $500 to a group vacation and them not send a speaker to try and sell their product. Or them at least get some sort of advertising effect out of it besides just mentioning their name.

I think you have an idea that is great, however, it's not what this forum wants so far (11 votes, but 100% leaning towards little diabetes.)

Now to RLK....I do not think that is a great idea. The main problem is people build connections with companies and locations. Say we have it in Orlando at Disney World and we get a great deal on staying at Coronada Springs resort...Coronada would like to talk to the same person every year. They could then built a repore with that person which may give more discounts in the future instead of a new person starting over each year. The same would apply to tickets to attractions.

So each time a new person is appointed you lose the knowledge and skills that the old person had and then have to "retrain" for the skills of the new person.

camjen1

Here's my opinion for what it's worth....

I think these plans are getting way more complicated then what it really has to be. Let the polls run for a bit then get together to decide what's the best options for everyone based on polls.

The way I see this whole thing going is leaning towards a week long diabetes fest. If that's the case then I'm sure there will be less attending for that reason because I for one don't want to spend alot of money and precious vacation time talking and attending diabetes events. It isn't worth it for me. I can learn new things or be lectured without spending money and leaving my state.

Also far as sponsorship goes I hope if we are sponsored that we don't have to abide by a dozen rules from the company sponsoring us. Such as t-shirts. Are they going to want us to wear their t-shirts for the entire vacation? Are we going to be expected to hand out stuff? Sounds like a bunch of work with little to no fun.

So now that that was said bring on the lecturing of how my impute doesn't count because I didn't attend.

Carwy

I think the committe members should be Camjen1, jediskippuppy, belyro, and Cyborg.

You let the rest of us know what you find out and when it will be and we will go from there.